Children's Literacy Charities

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MuggleBug, Jan 4, 2009.

1. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 4, 2009

In lieu of favors at my wedding, I have opted to make donations. I am looking to donate to a children's literacy charity. I know of a couple - Books For Kids, Reading is Fundamental - but was wondering if anyone had any input on any others. I am located in CT but would be willing to donate nationwide, of course. I've done a bit of Googling (ha) on it but I just want to make sure the organization is a reputable one before I send them money.

3. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 4, 2009

I don't know of any charities - but just wanted to let you know that we did the same thing at our wedding in September. We got engaged at a church camp, and in lieu of favors, made a donation to the camp. We weren't really sure how people would respond, but we got lots of positive comments about it - and people said they didn't miss the favor at all! (we did make a little bookmark type thing that was at the tables at our reception explaining - and people could take with them if they wanted)

4. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Ya, I think it's much better than giving them something they won't use/need. I think I'm going to buy some Hershey kisses and put them in little favor bags with a note attached saying something like "With love and kisses, a donation has been made in your name to..." - something like that!

5. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 4, 2009

I don't know of any others off hand, but I wanted to tell you that is an incredible gesture. I love the idea. Good for you!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

You could make a donation to "DonorsChoose" (www.donorschoose.com) and select whatever project you desire. Take a look and see what you think. You could choose the specific project in the specific area that seemed most important to you.

I love donorschoose.

7. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 5, 2009

Thanks for the link! That's great.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2009

I thought I'd let you know about Dolly Parton's & around here United Way send a book a month to a child from birth to age 5 as long as the parent signs them up. You may contact your local United Way or check out http://imaginationlibraryde.org/home.htm

What a great idea...
    You know even a children's hospital may be the way to go as well.

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 5, 2009

I love Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. The books that the students get are great quality children's literature. Great program!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2009

Me too....