Children's dictionaries

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KiewiStyles, Aug 26, 2007.

1. KiewiStyles

KiewiStyles Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

How do I go about getting enough dictionaries for each one of my students? Currently, I only have 5. I was thinking about donations but don't know where to begin. Also, where is a good place to buy a lot of dictionaries?

3. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

If you have a dollar store near you, that is a great place!! The one near me has paperback Webster's Dictionaries, so I stocked up this year. Also look at GoodWill (I assume you have those in MA?) and pester your librarian. I got a partial hardback set from our library because they were being replaced!

4. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Scholastic books has really good ones and you can get them with the bonus points from your class book orders.

5. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I got a grant through a local foundation to buy our dictionaries for the whole second grade, so you could check around your town or even online for grant opportunities. We got the dictionaries from Scholastic (Scholastic Children's Dictionary) and they are great for kids to use.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

7. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

I asked my parents to "donate" a Scholastic dictionary when they ordered from the first Lucky book order. I asked them to just add it onto their book order when they ordered their children's books. It worked pretty well- I got at least 5 or so. Then I also got some cheaper paperback ones but they aren't great. I got them from the dollar store.

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 26, 2007

Do you have a resale bookstore like Half Price Books? Maybe mention your need to your PTC/PTA? They might be able to get you started with some scholastic dictionaries! I am doing a Wishing Tree at open house and you could put, "Children's Dictionary" on it.

9. jasmine!

jasmine! Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I bought some at Ollies. It's a discount store. They had Scholastic hardback dictionaries for $5! The original price was $25. They only had 5 - so I bought as many as they had. You may want to check out stores such as this to add to your collection. The dollar stores are also good places to check, but they are paperback and won't hold up as good.