Children's Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by AnonyMS, Mar 9, 2009.

1. azure

azure Companion

Mar 25, 2009

In our secondary schools, cell phones are supposed to left in their locker until the final bell. A teacher is supposed to confiscate any cell phones they see in a child's possession during the school day and take it to the office for a parent to collect, and there are accelerating consequences. This also applies to other electronic devices such as MP3 players, elec. games, etc. There is NO reason that a parent has to text their child during school. If there is an emergency, call the office. . . I can't imagine an office not responding immediately, if it's a true emergency. We all managed without cell phones for years. When I confiscate a phone and the child is crying and begging me to give it back, my response is, "Believe it or not you will survive without it."

2. azure

azure Companion

Mar 25, 2009

I agree with Crzy Art Teacher and History Girl. The stricter, the better, and we need consistent enforcement. That's the main problem with ALL discipline.

3. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

Apr 16, 2009

I have a friend who teaches college classes and at the beginning of each semester she discusses cell phones. This is what cracks me up: She tells them that if their cell phones go off in class she will call their moms...lol...how? Almost everyone has their mom's number listed as "mom" in their cell phone! ha! I may use that tactic next year at the beginning. I have taken several away so far. I don't make a huge deal about it though because many of my students walk to school, and as a parent, would want my child to have a phone available to them should something happen on the way to school.

4. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

May 24, 2009

If the school rule is that there is no use of cell phones in the school, and a parent shows up irate about something that happened during the day, obviously the kid used their cell phone to call or text them during school. Some principals will take the phone away in this instance even if no one saw it being used.

5. checkmatefritz

checkmatefritz New Member

Jun 1, 2009

yes i agree with your philosophy due to the fact that i live in an urban community where i think that the students should be priveliged with a phone just incase something bad were to happen to he/she.....

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 1, 2009

Someone mentioned college, at my college- as a comm major- any comm prof would tell us at the beg. of the semester if your phone rings I answer it and talk to whoever is on the line, or if you refuse to give me the phone I take off 20 points from your final grade. It was pretty crazy- there was at least two phones getting answered per semester.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2009

It's worth noting that some kids have cell phones that were gotten for them by non-custodial parents living elsewhere who find that otherwise their phone contact with the child is, shall we say, impeded.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2009

I know a teacher who, whenever she confiscates a phone, fires off a few texts to the friends of the kid from whom she just confiscated the phone. After a few of them respond, she turns the phone over to the vp, along with the names of the friends who she texted.

Those friends are then called into the vp's office and asked to explain why they were texting in class. Of course they deny it, and then they are shown them their friends phone. They get a day of detention for texting and another day for lying about it.

All of this has greatly reduced the amount of in-class phone usage at one grade level.

9. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 1, 2009

I think this is a bit dishonest. It is provoking students to text and she is texting under the name of the person whose phone she confiscated. I understand she is trying to catch other students who text in class, but imagine if a student ever did this with a teacher's phone or email.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 1, 2009

I doubt that any teacher would truly fault a student who was in possession of a cell phone that was turned off (not silent!) and put away somewhere. There just isn't a good reason to have a phone on and being used in class. I still think that parents who are contacting students on a cell phone on a regular basis need to figure out a regular routine and be more responsible.

11. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 1, 2009

The students in our school have adopted the Ghandi philosophy of "flood the jails," in other words, "If 35 of us in the same class play with our cell phones, can they really punish all 35 of us?" And, of course, they know ahead of time that the answer is "no" and that the administration will not only not back us up, but blame the teachers for having such a "mismanaged class."

The other questions with our bunch are, do you really want to have double-digit (10+) confrontations during one period? Do you really want to risk a razor slash across the face over enforcement of a rule? (A 24-year-old math teacher I know has a scar from his ear to almost his jaw from slash received in a confrontation. He'll have that for the rest of his life. The kid got an assault charge, but only a 5-day suspension.)

We had an ambitious vice principal who insisted upon a parent meeting to retrieve any confiscated i-pod or cell phone. I heard one parent storming out of one such meeting in the office yelling, "If my son doesn't want to mutha-fkn' listen to y'all, he doesn't have to mutha-fkn' listen to y'all!"

It all depends upon your circumstances.

12. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

Our policy is to take up cell phones that are being USED on campus during school hours. Teachers send the phones to the office, and a parent must come to the school and pay a $25 fine to get the phone the first time. On second offense, it is a $50 fine. Third offense, the phone is kept until the end of the school year. This policy is stated in our handbook, and the parents and students sign and agree to it at the beginning of the year. We raise a lot of funds this way!

Most of the teachers on our campus are sensible about cell phone usage. If I suspect a student is using a phone, I give him/her the LOOK. If that doesn't work, I take the phone. Thankfully, I don't have confrontational students. I've had a few instances of students lying about having a phone (one girl had the phone up her sleeve), but I threatened to take them to the principal and let him resolve it. They conceded their phones.

Another time a girl burst out crying in class. I found out that the girl's mother had txd her telling her about a relative who had just slipped into a coma. I talked to the girl in the hallway and because of her hysteria, I didn't take her phone but sent her to the bathroom to regain her composure (and probably text her mother back;). Strangely, no relative bothered to come and get the girl.