children's books for third grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by iteachm123, Jun 23, 2005.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 23, 2005

I was just recently hired to teach third grade at a preparatory and fitness academy and found out that I would have to supply my students with books to read in my classroom. They have only had one third grade until now so they have no extra books. I have asked my family to keep their eyes open at garage sales and book sales at the library.

What books do third graders really enjoy? I would like to get all genres, but get books that my students will want to read. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help,
    Michelle

3. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jun 23, 2005

There was a thread about this not too long ago. You might try searching the site to find it. In the mean time, here are the titles and series popular with my third graders:
    Fiction
    Junie B. Jones series
    Magic Tree House series
    Beverly Cleary books
    Magic School Bus chapter books
    Arthur chapter books
    A to Z mystery series
    Nate the Great series

Nonfiction
    The Step up to Reading series has great nonfiction books like The Titanic, Wolves, Harriet Tubman, etc.
    Seymour Simon is an excellent writer of children's nonfiction
    Question and Answer series by Scholastic

This is just the highlights that come to mind. Hope that gets you a start. Garage sales are a great idea for finding books. You could also try Ebay. I have found really cheap sets of books there for my classroom. Good luck in your search and in your upcoming year of teaching! :)

4. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 23, 2005

Another idea is to check out your public library--our county library provides long lists of books per grade level. It's a great help if you wind up doing some shopping! You may also find the lists online by going to library web sites. Worth a shot, anyway! (And since you will always have lower and higher readers than grade level, you can use a pretty good range of books and still be on target.)

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2005

My advice is try not to buy anything new, the words don't change just becasue it's been read by someone else...I bought 150 brand new sunshine books at a yard sale and gave them as gifts to my students for the end of the year. And I still have a ton of them left over to stock my (future) classroom with... half.com has really cheap books...
    Some great books for 3rd grade are:
    Sideways Stories from Wayside School
    Wayside School is Falling Down
    Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger

Three great books, one of my students is borrowing them right now so I don't know the author....the boy that is reading them was a little suspicious at first, he's very afraid that I'm going to lend him a "girl book" eeewww the horror! But he read the first one overnight and was begging for the rest.

Another series that my kids love is The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids by Debbiee Dadley and Marcia Thornton Jones.

Another idea to stock your classroom library is to have the kids make their own books...they love to read each other's work! You can also make books as a class, and then give one to each student at the end of the year as a gift...they think that's really cool.

Good Luck!

6. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 24, 2005

The Geronimo Stilton books are popular with 3rd graders as well.

7. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Jun 24, 2005

Go to Half Priced Books -- I've gotten tons from there. Sometimes the selection is great, sometimes it's so-so. I've gotten some super cheap copies of books in the clearance section. You have to dig but you can find some really great deals. I don't know where you're at in Ohio but the stores are all over the Cincinnati/Dayton area. I think they have a website, too.

Whenever I've worked with 3rd graders they've always loved Roald Dahl books. Captain Underpants, too. And picture books -- ones that feature popular cartoons and nonfiction ones.

8. luv2teach21

luv2teach21 New Member

Jul 30, 2005

Try goodwill or the salvation army they always have an abundance of children's books the most I have ever seen them for are 59cents most of the time they are like new:)

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2005

I have bought at least half of my books through Goodwill. The rest were either purchased new (because I had the desire for them), or they were from childhood. Currently in my fourth grade class, I have 330 books, and the collection only built up in a year and a half for the most part. Here are some suggestions for students slightly younger than mine...

Fiction
    -Beverly Cleary (Ramona, The Mouse and The Motorcycle)
    -Andrew Clements books (Frindle, The Landry News, The Report Card)
    -Sharon Creech (Granny Torrelli Makes Soup is neat for third grade; Walk Two Moons is good for fourth and up... a little too serious for third grade)
    -Wayside School books
    -Jean Craighead George (She wrote Julie of the Wolves, which is an incredible book of adventure.)
    -The Math Curse by Jon Schieska is one of the neatest books for grades 3-5... I was able to buy two for my classroom, and one was bought really cheap at a flea market.
    - The Talking Eggs by San Souci and illustrated by Pinkney... one of my favorite books when I was around that age.
    - Horrible Harry is always fun to have... appropriate for most all elementary students, in my opinion. He's a classic favorite. :)
    - Lynne Reid Banks has always won me over with the Indian in the Cupboard series.
    - Try to get a good deal of Newbery books and enough from a few authors to feature them in your classroom.

Non-Fiction
    - Science and Social Studies books are SO important at this age because this is their first LARGE exposure to both subjects.
    - Biographies! My class has Thomas Edison, Martin Luther King, Ruby Bridges, Henry Flagler, Anne Frank, and many others.
    - Try to get a QUALITY dictionary and thesaurus. If you have a Ross Dress For Less in your area, they sell them there... and for a reasonable price. :)

10. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 30, 2005

I agree with not paying full price for any books. Check out library book sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Dollar Stores, Garage Sales and put the word out to friends and relatives that you are looking for books. Also, sign up for Scholastic book orders and you will get bonus points toward free books. Good luck with your book hunting!

11. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 1, 2005

You find great deals on books everywhere. Also, mention you're a teacher. That has saved me money of school supplies.

12. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Every year I do Charlotte's Web with my third graders and they always love it. They also really enjoy The Haunting of Grade 3. I always make sure we read those two. ;)

[​IMG]

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 1, 2005

When I taught third, we read SeeSaw Girl and Kite-Fighters by Sue Ann Park during our Asia unit. They're both historical fiction.

The different versions of Cinderella around the world were always favorites. Bubba the Cowboy Prince, Yeh-shen, Cinder-Edna, The Rough-Face Girland lots others I can't think of right now!

14. jengrabinski

jengrabinski Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

my kids last year LOVED the Indian in the Cupboard series, then with their parents' permission, we watched the video.