Children's Accusations

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FloridaFreund, Aug 17, 2007.

1. FloridaFreund

FloridaFreund Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

So, today an 11 year old child accused me of pushing him. He was smiling and laughing after he fell into his chair after I supposedly pushed him into it. He's happy that I might be in some trouble. 2 weeks I have been working with this kids and he has cussed at me, fought, argued, and disrespected me. I know his age and I don't hold his behavior against him. I have been nothing but nice and supportive of him. After listening to his and several others' conversations about violence and fighting with other students and adults, I felt that he needed to be dealt with by one of my superiors. I used my hand to direct him by the shoulder into a chair behind him. I asked him nicely twice to sit down and he refused. I am small and inexperienced; he knows that he could hurt me. I don't know what he is capable of, so I felt that it was pertinent that he sit down so I could keep and eye on him while informing a superior. I'm still very new as a teacher and I didn't realize that merely touching a child could lead to these outrageous accusations.:help:

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I hope this works out for you. At one point this past year we were informed that we could not even High 5 students. This was due to a parent, at a sporting event, who found issue with a coach giving a student a High 5. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Hopefully your admin. will be supportive of you in this situation. Good luck!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2007

The biggest thing I remember from my teacher education program was that we were never to touch kids. Ever. Never ever ever.

It's so easy for kids to misinterpret and misconstrue events, especially when there is some merit to the accusation.

Are you a union member? I sure hope so. If you are, please arrange to meet with your rep ASAP, and don't go to any meetings with administrators without your rep there.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 17, 2007

If you haven't already, please go to your site admin and explain the situation. If they are going to get a call from a parent, they would MUCH rather have your information than to go into the conversation totally clueless.

Like other posters have said, talk to your union rep.

Write down the date and time of the incident and write the facts down (without emotion).

6. FloridaFreund

FloridaFreund Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I am not a union member and I work at a pre-school/daycare. The 11 year old is only there until school starts. I don't have an administration or union to support me. Now, I realize the importance of these things for future reference when I move to Georgia next year and begin my professional teaching career.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2007

As teacherpippi said, sit down--right now--and write down the facts of the incident--time, place, what was said and done by each of you. There must be a supervisor of some sort that you work with share the information with them right away. Until school starts (while he's still in your program) don't touch him and be sure that there is always another adult present in the room.

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 17, 2007

Its amazing how far people will go.

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 17, 2007

Did this kid tell someone on you already???

10. FloridaFreund

FloridaFreund Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Oh yeah. The moment I told a superior that he said "F YOU" he said, "Well, she...she...she pushed me! Waaaahh boohoohoo." It was incredibly pathetic. The fact that he was acting hostile and is capable of hurting me before I even touched him was forgotten. His terrible behavior and his disrespect towards me over the last two weeks has still gone completely unpunished.

11. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 18, 2007

If whoever is in charge does not support YOU, the employee, in front of a student or the parents, then I would definitely look elsewhere for a job! In private, the person in charge may talk to you, but in front of students/parents the teacher should ALWAYS have their backing!!!!

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

First of all, what is an 11-year old doing in an Preschool Center with a Preschool teacher? Something is seriously wrong there. The Director/Administrator should know that an 11-year old has no business in a preschool environment and a preschool teacher has no business working with an 11-year old.

13. FloridaFreund

FloridaFreund Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

School has not started yet. He is here for the summer program while his parents still work.

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

How old are the other kids in the class? Is the center licensed for Preschool children and school-age children? Are you trained to work with school age children?

15. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

First of all in the future. NEVER touch students unless it's extremly obvious to everyone what you're doing. Regardless of what happened the witnesses saw your hand touch his shoulder and wouldn't be able to tell exactly what happened. This makes it really hard for your boss to defend you.

Second, you need to document any incidents with students. You can still do this. Put in writing exactly what happened.

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

A Pre-school teacher DOES touch students. We also button and zip pants. We comfort children when they cry, hugging, rubbing backs, stroking hair, wiping noses and eyes. Sometimes, they sit in our laps. A teacher of school-age children has a different set of rules. That' s why I inquired about the training.