Children who are too silly all the time

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

I have a 4 year old boy in my class who is always laughing and acting silly. I don't mean just once in a while. It's ALL the time and is especially disrupting at lunch.
    I'm not trying to suck the humor out of him because I know how important humor is, but he is so inappropriate and needs constant reminders. Have any of you had a child like this?

3. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Nov 4, 2006

I have a few in 8th grade. They have responed well to having specific time to laugh and act silly. I have singers. They sing all the time: while I teach, in the hall, during homework time, at lunch. They get to perform the last few minutes of class. This has helped them focus the rest of the time. I'm not sure how this would work for a 4 year old, but it might be worth a try.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2006

I have a little girl in my first grade class that is always acting silly. To me she is just really immature. She is always silly and lives in a fantasy world. She will come in and tell me she is a "real" ballerina and she actually believes it. When I told her that one day when she grows up she can be a real ballerina she got very upset because she really believed she was one! I don't want to burst her bubble or anything but she does live in a fantasy world and her mom encourages it. She is always giggling and laughing, yes a good thing for a child but not at the expense of her learning. I really don't know how to react to her, she does need to take school seriously when it is work time and she doesn't. She is a very sweet girl but just acts silly all the time.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Is anyone familiar with a movie, program or story about a child who laughed too much and lost their laugh? The kids were talking about this one day and I thought it would be a good way to teach him that a child/person can laugh TOO much!

6. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

I have a class full of silly children...though in our world today, I don't know if I believe a child can laugh too much.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

There is a time and place for everything and in my opinion, that's what's wrong with this world today. Children have not learned basic etiquette and have the attitude that they can do anything, anywhere and anytime they choose to.

8. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2006

I agree completely but when the silliness interferes with what they are doing at school then there is a problem.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

The situations I am talking about are mealtimes, circle time, nap time. Should a child be laughing and snickering all day long?

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Tiger, are you male or female?

11. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

I understand what you are saying. You are right that it often interferes with the classroom and activities. I have children who are so happy and laughing all of the time. I also have children with very little to laugh about. Children whose past creates pains in me. I love the sound of children laughing. Even at those inappropriate times I almost want to start laughing myself. I am simply saying that there is a lot more wrong with the world than people not knowing the time and place for their actions. We do our best. The child laughs and is making a scene, well children are known for that. Natural consequences, follow through, be consistant, I am not telling you anything you don't already know. Sometimes, we forget that the children need to be children, especially when curriculum, no child left behind, and complaining parents get involved. So I will answer your question with a question. What do you want for your children? If you want them to learn there is a time and place for everything, then that's an important lesson, but shouldn't we also try to instill a sense of leviety? for with this life is so much happier. If we are consistent don't you believe that they will eventually get it. I have met many teachers who hold children's silliness against them, I am not suggesting that you do this, but I am sure you have met those teachers also grammy. If I understand what you are saying, you are suggesting balance, and for some children they just aren't ready.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Grammy, you are one of the silliest, light-hearted teachers on here! (after all, how many teachers on here bak like a chicken in the classroom??:p ) I can tell from your posts, the kids respect you tremendously, and you instill a sense of security,community and boundary within your classroom. I agree there is a time and place for everything, and it is our job as educators to help children learn what is and is not appropriate. I'm sure you'll know just what to say and do with your little silly goose.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

If a child is not properly taught how to behave like a civilized human being and cannot control his/herself by the time he/she is about 5 years old, that child will have a long, hard road ahead. It is my job as a teacher to make darned sure that the children in my care know the difference between laughing at a joke and laughing because someone spilled their milk on them. As for some children not being "ready," since when do we let children decide when it's time to learn how to behave?

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Kinder, I haven't done my chicken sounds in a long time...I'll have to do that next week though because we are reading The Little REd Hen. I have been doing a lot of ballerina moves lately and they stand in awe!!! Pretty soon they all join me(even the boys!)

15. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

I don't know if anyone chooses when it is time for children to learn how to behave. Discussing the feelings of others is a good way to confront children laughing at others expense. And I believe that based on both of your comments you are now implying that your child is not behaving like a civilized human being. To this I would say you are undertaking a large endeavor, seeking to complete the socialization process by such an early age. Manners are important, and children with manners perhaps have a shorter easier road ahead of them. But let us not forget that these children are four years old.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Yes, we are the adults...and that is the point, they are only 4 and 5 years old...and it is of utmost importance that children learn to behave. Between the ages of birth to 5 are the most important years in a child's life. That is the time to begin, NOT COMPLETE the process of learning how to behave. Yes, civilized human beings, knowing right from wrong.
    If more parents would take their young child's actions seriously and not laugh away misbehaviors and sometimes uncivilized actions, perhaps we would have a better behaved youth in general.

17. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

I agree that a child's socialization process begins immediately. Moreover, I agree that we need to clearly state our expectations, and natural consequences should follow for following or breaking those expectations. If I have suggested that parents just laugh away misbehaviors, then I have, indeed, mispoken. I do not believe that. I do believe that our job is to be consistent. Not just let them do whatever they please. I also am not trying to say you are making a mistake. I am now suggesting several things.
    while we teach children we should not demand they they understand. We should just continue trying: plant the seed if you will. I also do not believe that a child can laugh too much. And if they don't get something it is okay. Persistance and consitence will eventually work.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Tiger, are you male or female?

19. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

:D You go, Grammy! Two times asked, not answered yet. Shall we guess?? I have had an idea as I've read other threads....

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

No, let's just forget it. It really isn't any of my business! I am just a curious gramma.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Yup, I think I know too!:p

22. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

:)

23. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

I was typing the first time and didn't read the question.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Well, for all of your information, I am a 25 year old blonde who does modeling on the side...

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

:p :wow:

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Kinder, we all know about you...that is you in the avatar.

27. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

Which side???

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Usually the left side...only ...

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Yes, that is true......although I no longer have the beard or moustache.

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Now get back on track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as children laughing too much, I agree, laughter is the best medicine for everyone...BUT ...

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 5, 2006

It is hard. When they get to more academic grades (I am not applying that kinder is not academic) where they have to sit still for longer periods of time and focus, how the child behaves (silly just being one of those behaviors) does reflect on how well they can do the chosen work for that grade level. Grammy, while I feel that you won't be able to nip this in the bud completely because it will be a individual learning thing and probably a long process, I do applaud you for recognizing that it is something he has to learn. All kids have to learn there is a time and place for everything. That covers a great number of behaviors. I'm still teaching it to my kids and they are older. Educators don't just work on academics. They work on social skills. This is one of them.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

That's how I feel, Definly...I certainly don't expect them to "not" laugh and be silly, but they need to learn proper social behaviors...and that there is a time to be quiet and behaved.