Children thinking the police are going to kill them.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Abcgirl, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Feb 10, 2017

So it's our career week and today I were talking about police officers. The when I asked if anyone know what the police officers do and they all said they are going to take us to jail if we be bad. Then another kid said that the police are going to punch them in the face and kill them. So I was trying to call them down and explain to them that police officers will not hurt us or take us to jail. That they are here to keep us safe. I have been trying to call the police department to get an officer to come out and talk to the kids. I just don't want them to be scared. I don't know what to do

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 10, 2017

I think getting a police officer there to talk to them is a good idea.
    I hate the fact that kids think the police are the bad guys. When they're in trouble, they're not going to get help from them if they're scared of them!
    I'd also try to find books and short videos that show how helpful the police officers are.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2017

What are the demographics/SES of your district? Kids are most likely reflecting their family mindset.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 10, 2017

Getting a really nice officer in to talk with them is an amazing idea. It's possible (even probable) they've internalized things they've seen on the news.

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 10, 2017

Hi, this is common when teaching minority children or those that are in low income areas that witness the corruption of some police officers when enforcing militarized techniques on their familes. Not all police officers are bad. Some really try to do the right thing.
    I work with young kids and did a community helper theme and invited a police officer to speak. They enjoyed. it really bridged the gap between law enforcement and minorties. The conversation must start when they are young