Children going hungry in school - we need your thoughts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristianCap, May 22, 2020 at 9:08 PM.

1. ChristianCap

ChristianCap New Member

May 22, 2020 at 9:08 PM

Hi everyone,

Our team at Capgemini is dedicated to solving the issue of children going hungry in school. We are developing a non-profit platform (app and web-based) to be used in schools enabling children without food to request emergency meals.

We need your help to better understand how teachers like yourself feel about this issue to help us make the platform even better.

We have created a link here to a short survey which should only take 2-3 minutes to complete. Please spare a few minutes of your day, your input will help us ensure that no child needlessly goes hungry in school again.

Thank you kindly :)

Teacher Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J6WYW65

** sincere apologies moderators if this post is not allowed or in the wrong section please remove at your convenience **

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 22, 2020 at 11:15 PM

ChristianCap,

I took your survey, but I have a couple of questions. I realize that your company works world-wide, so I want to make sure I understand what you are trying to make.

In the US, low income children in public schools are provided with a free lunch, and in most places, a free breakfast. Each locality (not state, but actually locality) runs other programs to assist with this -- like backpack buddies (where students are given a backpack full of food to last the weekend or over breaks) or the agricultural program that provides fresh fruit packages for children identified by the school counselor as being "in need."

Like any country, we have many families who do not take advantage of these programs even though their children are hungry. These are typically families who do not want to be identified as "needing charity," or parents who, for whatever reason, are negligent to the point they fail to follow-through with completing the required paperwork to receive the free food for their children. There are also families who obtain the free food (backpack buddies and the fresh fruit program) but who do not give it to the children as intended, but who resell it illegally.

So how would the app you are describing identify students in need? In the US, teachers cannot, by law, provide this information to outside entities. So how would a hungry 7 year old, let's say, living in his Mom's car with 3 siblings, be able to use this app and then obtain food? How would the Mom access the app? How would she even know the app exists? Where would the food come from? And how would she get access to it?

I'm having a hard time envisioning how an app would work to solve the problem of hungry students in ways that are not already being addressed through the USDA food program, and other local programs available.

I'm just curious how this would work.

bella84 and Caesar753 like this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 23, 2020 at 6:12 AM

Also, I’ve never heard of a child going hungry IN school... at least not in the US. There is a free and reduced lunch program for a reason. Even without that, I’ve never known a school to not give food to a child without their own food from home at breakfast or lunch time.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    Caesar753 and RainStorm like this.