Children and Skipping class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Jan 29, 2012.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jan 29, 2012

What do you guys do when you notice one of your students(high school) have bad attendance? How do you talk to them in a non-threatening way? Also, do you call their parents?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

What age/grade?

4. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jan 29, 2012

age 16-17

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

I don't handle attendance issues, other than reporting them. In my building, attendance is an administrative issue.

Lots of kids have health issues of which I'm unaware. I'm not sure we can make the jump from "poor attendance" to "skipping class."

6. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jan 29, 2012

So if there is a student who have poor attendance, it's not the teacher's responsibility to call the parents?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

Nope.

We take attendance every period. Any attendance issues are handled through the attendance office.

If I notice a pattern, say Susie is absent every time I give a test, I'll let her guidance counselor know and he or she will look into it.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2012

Alice's explanation is the same as what happens here. We report attendence in the computer, the attendence office in conjuction with the admin, handle follow-up. That consists of a computer generated phone message to the home and in cases where there are multiple unexcused absences the truancy officers/admin work with the family.

As Alice said, if a pattern is noted, that can be shared with guideance and admins.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 29, 2012

I have to call parents, but the court filings and appearances are left up to the truancy officer.

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 29, 2012

I also take attendance on the computer, and the attendance secretary handles it from there. My students have 7 teachers a day - it would be really annoying to the family if every one of those teachers was calling home all the time for attendance issues. I do get on the students when they actually do show up, but that's more for the benefit of the other students around them, because once a student decides to cut class 3 or 4 days a week, there's not much chance that I'm going to convince them to show up every day.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2012

We also have consequences for unexcused absences--kids get a Saturday school after three, another plus being put on an attendance contract after five, and can be drop/failed after 6. They then get put into a study hall and have to make up the semester online or at the adult school. Our dean of attendance handles this, but I give him a heads up when I have a student with excessive excused absences, because that can trigger a hearing with the district for the parent. I had a kid a few years ago who missed almost 1/3 of the school year.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

What is your school policy? What you do will depend on what your school has set in place.

You can have a conversation with the student just by asking them what is going on? Taking a caring approach to start in case it is illnesses. Also, do you have a way to check to see if these are excused or unexcused absences?

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 29, 2012

I will agree with Alice, let the administration deal with. I cannot tell you how many times a teachings caring talk about attendance has back fired because the student is easily intimidated. Kick it up to your administration, if you feel they are unaware, but do not take things into your own hands.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 29, 2012

As a parent of a high schooler I *think* the policy is a phone call if your child is absent & you don't call in. I'm usually pretty good about calling him in. I would hope that if he isn't in class that I'm getting a call if I didn't call him in! But I agree, it would be very frustrating to get a call from each of his teachers. Let whomever in the office know & they can make the call

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

My school's policy is that attendance issues are handled administratively. We have an assistant principal who is in charge of all attendance and discipline issues.

As a teacher, I take attendance each period using our attendance software. The program will make automated phone calls home to notify parents of absences. If the absence is determined to be unexcused, the student will be issued a truancy notice through the assistant principal's office.

The most I might say to a student who I knew was ditching would be something like, "Where are you supposed to be right now?" or "Where were you yesterday? Why weren't you in class?" Beyond that, I likely won't say anything to the student directly. I'm not a trained counselor, so I don't feel like I am in a position to counsel students. I won't call home, either, because that's being taken care of through our automated dialer. I don't want to come across as harassing a student or his parent by calling about absences; there might be a hundred reasons why the kid was out of class and I'm not in a position to launch an investigation. If I have concerns about habitual truancy, I will shoot an email to the counselor and assistant principal so that they can follow up and investigate if they feel like that's the appropriate course of action.

With 250 students on my roster, I just don't have the time or energy to do someone else's job. I trust my admin to handle it.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 29, 2012

I have to call home after a certain number of absences. Parents get testy if I'm the fourth one to call.

If I see a student at school but he doesn't show up in my class, I am expected to check and see if he has been legally checked out. If not, I am to write a referral for skipping. I only write those referrals when I KNOW a student was skipping my class.

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 29, 2012

When I taught high school the policy was to write a referral and then admin handled it. I did call home to report it but that was the rule for all referrals. The consequence was up to admin and I think the standard consequence was a Saturday detention.

18. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 29, 2012

At our school, the counselor and office secretary are the ones who deal with these issues. Our counselor goes "student hunting" twice or three times a week to knock on doors of students who aren't in school. Sometimes he gets lucky and brings one back.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2012

In my last school absences were a serious deal. We were supposed to call parents when kids have more than 3 absences. When they have more than 10, we tell the social worker. When more than 20, they fail or get kicked out of school.