Childish (somewhat annoying) Friend...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

Sometimes my friend "Jane" really gets on my nerves because she does this thing -- I don't know what to call it, but it goes like this -

Me: "Ew! Look at this scarf, it's really ugly."
    Jane: "Ew, your face is really ugly"

Me: "Whoa, this stuff smells really weird"
    Jane: "Whoa you smell really weird"

Me: *yawn* Man I'm really tired
    Jane: Your face is really tired.

She'll do it several times, sometimes even back to back to back, especially when we're out shopping. Jane says it jokingly and she's a really playful person, so I don't think she is trying to be mean, but it's really obnoxious, especially when she does it out in public.

We're both young at heart, but we aren't little girls or even teenagers (nearly 25) and even though i love acting like a little kid and having a good time, I still find that really annoying.

Aside from that one thing, Jane is really cool. I enjoy hanging out with her and we have a lot of fun together. Since I don't have any other issues with our friendship, should I just accept that as one of those weird, annoying quirks about her?:confused:

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2008

I have a friend like that! And it annoys me, but I usually just brush it off and ignore it. She also talks like a baby and it is really odd. Love her to death but it gets annoying!

no advice sorry!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 30, 2008

Well, I would just ignore it. Maybe she will get a dirty look from someone out in public and feel stupid and learn her lesson :lol:

5. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

Ugh, I hope so. I love Jane to pieces, but I still dont understand why she does this! She is kinda immature for her age, but she is still almost 25.

When she does it, it almost feels like a guy running up to me and pulling my hair because he likes me! Let's act our age NOT our shoe size please!:lol:

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2008

That would annoy me too! I don't know how long she's been doing this to you, but after a few times, I would have asked her WHY she does that. If you really want to be sarcastic/tad mean about it, you could say, "My 2nd graders do that all the time!" Maybe it will make her think about whether to continue doing it again.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

I would totally ignore it. It's probably just a little quirk that you will live with forever but if you act like you didn't even hear her say it, she might get the hint that its not funny anymore and stop.

8. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Dec 30, 2008

my husband is 25 and does that it came from Napoleon Dynamite it is really stupid but since he is my husband when it gets on my nerves i just tell him ok that is enough find a different movie to quote.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2008

That sounds like my sister - who by the way is thirty-five. Her new thing is "so's your face!". No matter what someone says - "Wow - that guy is guilty" "so's your face!". These shoes are too small "so's your face". It does get annoying and I just ignore it but I have to admit it pops into my head a lot when people say something - I would never say it out loud, but the fact that it's rubbed off on me a little bit makes me chuckle.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 30, 2008

I think I would pull the teacher look and then say "Whoa I thought you were one of my 2nd graders for a minute". If you did that a few times, I bet she would stop at least towards you! If it still continued, I would say something - just "hey that is annoying, would you stop' and move on.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

AHA! So, that's where it came from! I never knew that!:eek:hmy:

Jane sounds an awful lot like my 21 yr. old daughter!!! Yes, my daughter used to say that...TO ME!!!

Me: those pants are ugly.
    Daughter: your face is ugly.

Me: you are so rude!
    Daughter: your face is rude.

:eek:
    I'd try to hold back my laughter; because it sounds really stupid; but it can be aggravating too.:mad:

uhhh...I have found myself saying it back to her too; I know...childish. :|

12. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

Sounds like it might be a good, non-confrontational way to stop her because, as I said, I love Jane to pieces and don't want to hurt her feelings, but I want her to stop!

I also had no idea that comes from Napolean Dynamite

13. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

Grr, isn't it the most annoying thing in the world? It would drive me nuts if Jane and I were married and she kept doing that. I only see her once, maybe twice a week for a few hours at a time and it gets on my nerves. If we lived together and slept in the same bed I'd probably smother her with a pillow (j/k :))

IMHO I think whenever she feels awkward, insecure or uncomfortable she does it.

for instance i mentioned how much i enjoy coming on this forum and she wanted to now the name of the website and my screen name on here so she could read all my vents and postings.

I was like, "I'd rather not. I mostly vent on here and since you know me and some of the people I talk about Id feel weird about it."

So she goes (YOU GUESSED IT!) "Your face is kinda weird".

EDIT: Sorry that should read, "Your face FEELS kinda weird"

:dizzy:

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

Uuhhhh, I do that all of the time:eek:. I have a certain group of friends and we make that joke all of the time. We call it a face burn.
    I like the comparing her to a 2nd grader comment. But for some reason I think you might have to come right out and tell her you thing that it's annoying.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

16. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

LOL, it's okay Sandra. I have a pretty offbeat, sometimes sick sense of humor myself, so it's not that her joke offends me, it's just really irritating because she will seriously do it like 45 - 50 times an hour.

The first couple times are funny but after I want to tell her to shut up because it's so annoying.

OMG, that just reminded me of the time that the kids in my class started liking solider boy (he's a lame singer) and they were constantly like, "Ms Lynn, I have a joke for you! What does Soilder Boy need? He needs YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

(FYI: Solider had a really annoying song that came out last year that goes, "Solider BOys needs YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!!" over and over.)

:toofunny:

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

oh my goodness, Lynn; your friend is a teacher! How does she hold her tongue with her students?? :rofl:

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

I'm gonna check him out on Youtube...I think he's soulja boy...I remember seeing that strange name on the TV. LOL

19. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

UGH! It is Soulja Boy. Beware -- the song is extremely addictive and WILL get stuck in your head. It's so annoying though especially when you have 20+ second graders constantly singing it and making up jokes with the punch line of "Soulja Boy needs YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!" :beatdeadhorse:

My kids made me HATE that song with a passion.

Give it a listen and let me know what you think

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

ugh; I couldn't find anything with that title, perhaps that's the chorus? What's the title of the song?

21. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

lol, well actually she substitutes right now because she's trying to get her business started, but i wonder the same thing! maybe she doesn't need to be working with the kiddies if she's gonna act like one!:p

22. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

hang on i'm going to look for it.

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

okie dokie. Send the link in the next post.

24. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

Here is it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpocrqvP2Yg

I feel a lot like the father at the beginning of the video. When Soulja Boy sat down to write this song, he must have known how much it would annoy adults and how popular it'd be with kids. Listen with caution it IS HIGHLY addictive.

BTW, It's actually called, "Crank That"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *RUNS AWAY SCREAMING AS IT PLAYS ON YOUTUBE*

25. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 30, 2008

lol Face Burn. That sounds like it came from That 70's Show. BURN! I think I am just going to start repeating it back to her the way Sandra suggested. Like when she goes, "Ew your face smells weird!" I am just going to respond, "No, ew, YOUR face smells weird".

If that doesnt work than I'm going to finally ake the comment about being a second grader.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

wow; that's a crazy song! LOL How old are your kids? I've heard the song before on TV; sheesh; ok; I have a headache now, LOL

27. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

ok, Lyn...try it; but I guarantee that your friend will say it right back to you...she wants to have the last word; LOL Try it though! And let us know what she does next! LOL :lol:

28. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 31, 2008

EXACTLY! Yay, I don't feel so old and squarish now. :) My kids were in second grade, so about seven and eight. They're all in third grade now and hopefully arent still into it. If so, I'm sure they are drivingtheir new teacher insane. :angel:

29. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 31, 2008

Will do. lol Jane is so freaking random and silly that yeah, i don't think i should try it because then she'll probably think i'm totally into the face burns and start doing it more which is NOT the goal!

30. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

oh Jane, Jane, Jane!

We're going to have to let Jane get it out of her system; she'll get tired of it one day. I hope! :D

31. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 31, 2008

don't hold your breath on that one Sandra! :)

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2008

I would just tell her that it annoys me, but I am a very straightforward person

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2008

I've never heard that line before, and I'm happy to say it.

I agree- it would let her know that it's incredibly annoying.

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2008

Ask her to stop. I had to do that with a friend who would repeat the same stories over and over and over. One day I told her that she tells me the same things several times a year and I don't want to hear it anymore. She was mad for a couple of days, but it stopped. Just tell her you don't like it. Three simple words, "I don't like it."

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2008

We did this back when I was in jr high, and I'm almost 28 now.

36. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Dec 31, 2008

I would probably just look at her and ask "why would you say something so hurtful/rude" I find that I usually only need to say this once or twice to people.

37. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

Makes me wonder...do any of us have a friend where we are totally at ease & childish with???

I'm asking, because I have a friend Susie and she and I are totally off-the-wall childish with one another!
    We're both in our late 40s too :huh:

38. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 1, 2009

Off the wall is cool, but repeating the same corny joke over and over and over and over, isn't, especially when we're out in public and loud. I can be myself with Jane, but I realize part of being myself is having boundaries and being a little mature. But that's just me. Even when I was a kid, I remember being annoyed by the sort of "joke" Jane engages me in 30 - 40 times an hour. :|

39. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

Mmhmm, well try doing the soulja boy dance in heels and then come complain to me, lol!

40. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

Oh, and I had 6th graders. Every day it was "Mrs. Cheeryteacher do you know the soulja boy dance???" "It goes like this." They were all so surprised to find out that I heard the song and could do the dance. I was only 26 at the time, they treated me like I was walking around with a fake hip or something.

41. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 2, 2009

She has a sort of Sarah Silverman sense of humor... I really like Sarah Silverman, but don't know if I could handle that personality for long in a friend.