child with ADHD/Autism

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by prinjess82, Nov 20, 2008.

1. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Nov 20, 2008

I am in a first grade class and have a child that has ADHD and Autism. He is on no meds for either. All the "tricks" that use to work with him are now failing. I am looking for any ideas on the following

Getting him to do his work. He does not saty up with class assignments, either teacher directed or independently. I does not want accomadated (different or less) work. He yells at me to "wait" for him which either makes the activties take forever or be disrupted becasue of his outbursts. He also does not like me to go on to another lesson without him. He does not have an aide, and it is not an option to have him one. The ONLY way he does his work is if I devote all my time to him, and pretty much coax him repeatedly, at the expense of my other 21 kids.

Also, he is constantly making noises, talking, screaming, pushing his desk, leaning in his chair, rolling on the floor...all behaviors that are too difficult for me or the other students to ignore. It is this constant "noise" in my class that is very distracting. He gets no supplies at his desk and his deak has velcro on the bottom to keep it still. Even with this he finds a way to make noise.

Also, after 62 days in class he has never actully turned in his HW or put papers in his folder without me having to tell him 5-8 times. I even took pics of him doing the actions so he could recall what it looked like, but no results.

Any ideas on any of these things would be great! Thanks.

3. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Nov 21, 2008

wow..this sounds just like a student in my class, though mine is less severe with behaviors. I do have some help though. I have consult with the OT and Spec. Ed.. This child is also enrolled in a half hour class/one time a week, to work on social skills. I have tables in my first grade classroom and it is a nightmare! I feel really bad but I have had to put him at a desk with a "privacy folder" around it to help screen. The noise can be an issue. I usually give him his therapy putty for five minutes to calm him or I could ask my aid to walk him up and down the hall a few times to help release this extra stimulation he needs. I used to treat him with kid gloves but I have found out that this is not the best thing. He needs to have clear expectations and consequences. I do give him more chances than others.
    As for the homework, remind him once, maybe twice and then put the responsibility on him. If you have a "morning routine flipbook", he can look at this to make sure he has gone through the routine. Remind only once for him to check this. Lay out a consequence. I needed to do this with my students because if they forgot, I had to stop class and tell them again. This wasted time having students go to their backpacks. When I layed out a consequence, magically it got better and there was less "forgetting"
    This is my first year with a student with these needs so I am learning as I go. Wish I could help.

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Nov 23, 2008

You might time him to see how long he stays on task at a time. You could then set up a system where he has to stay on task for the average time and he gets a prize (or a sticker on a sticker chart working up to a prize like computer time). Gradually and slowly increase the interval of time that he must stay on task. His paraprofessional can help implement this I believe. I know how difficult that would be for you to do with a whole class of other students to teach.

The reward system could also be for short intervals of time of "Good sitting" and "Quiet mouth," since you mentioned that these behaviors have been a problem.

This website http://www.paulakluth.com/autism.html has lots of articles and resources on Autism and inclusion that might be helpful. I also have a free Autism newsletter for teachers that might also be able to help: http://www.positivelyautism.com/ . I put lots of my materials and lesson plans that I've made on the website for free for other teachers to use.

Best of luck to you! I know it's not easy.

Nicole

5. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Nov 23, 2008

Wow! We are an autism specialty campus now and our 3 autistic kids (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) all have full time aides that follow them everywhere they go.

Has he been tested for these things? What do his parents have to say?

6. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Nov 23, 2008

Oops...thought you said that he does have an aide! Can you consult with the special education teachers for some help? Make sure you raise your concerns at the next IEP meeting.

Nicole