Child portfolios

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss Steele, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Oct 21, 2007

I'm gathering work samples, etc, for this checkpoint in my students' portfolios and I was wondering how or if any of you put together a portfolio to send home at the end of the year. I don't want to make more work for myself in May, I'd like to do it as I go along but I really am lost as to how it should look. When I started thinking about it, I realized that I haven't seen a preschool child's portfolio before!

Thanks!

Also - it needs to be inexpensive! I have 34 students!

3. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Oct 21, 2007

Well I didn't get an actual portfolio but just files on each student. They can get cramped though. You could always just use 3 ring binders, maybe put pocket folders inside for things that can't be punched. Some people take digital pictures and keep digital portfolios. Sounds like a lot of work to me though!

4. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

We are required to do in-depth portfolios on each child. We use a large bin with 20 hanging folders..one for each child. Inside each hanging folder are 7 domains. They include the following: language and literacy development, scientific thinking, mathematical thinking, the arts, social studies, personal and social development, and physical development. It is pretty tough doing it this way though...

I would suggest using items that show growth...cutting, writing, drawing, speech. Definitely keep copies of their names and letters they are writing! We take alot of pictures, and
    we keep tons of anecdotal notes on the children!

Hope this helps somewhat. :)

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

Ditto Leann!!

I was in Head Start and this was one of the requirements. Part of the problem is that teachers spend too much time gathering projects instead of focusing on the process. You don't need a ton of work, just quality items that show the child's progress. Two per month was our standard. And you don't have to stick every leaf and cherrios paper in there...you can get a color xerox copy, or take a photo of it too!

6. smyl

smyl Rookie

Oct 26, 2007

I have a record for each of my children that I keep on a clipboard. Published by wested.org/desiredresults/training/forms.htm has the drdp-r rating record.

7. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Oct 28, 2007

Have one of your parents do it! When I set up my parent volunteers, I always put one that's crafty in charge. I have a file for each student where I put work. I explain what I want it to look like (now I bring in one from a previous year, or you could do one and let her copy with the rest) and then let her do it on her own time and at her own pace. They turn out cute, and it saves me work.

Also, I bind mine using cerlox or spiral. They seem to hold pretty well.

I also agree with the number of items. Limit it. Choose items that show growth, and add a few fun art projects. Sometimes one would turn out absolutely adorable that I wasn't expecting, and I would add it. I also like to include a couple of projects with handprints or footprints 'cause that's fun to look back on.

Good luck! Keep it simple. I think portfolios are completely worth it!