Child leaving tomorrow, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 6, 2008

We have a little boy who is moving and his last day will be tomorrow. I was told this today. We've already had 2 other children move earlier this year with little warning. For the other kids leaving, I didn't have time to do anything to help the kids have closure.

Anyway, this little boy is the kind you hate to see go. He's loving, helpful (even helps clean up where he didn't tear out), and the other boys and girls all love him. I'm wondering if we as a class should do something . . . put all our handprints on a card, draw him a picture, etc. What do you do when a child leaves your class?

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 6, 2008

depends on the child-- sometimes I get a little sad and we make it a special day, sometimes it's a regular day and after work we teachers go out and celebrate!

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 6, 2008

we have a book traiding ceremony. we give him a scholastic book to take and we are all signing the book so it is a keepsake. on good days we have a pix of all of us in it.

then he would bring a book and do the same.

that way we build a library, get to see old friends in pixs and he gets a piece of us and we are building a lib at his house too.

usually it works but - you may not have enough time.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2008

We always make "goodbye books" for the kids that leave. The children remaining draw pictures and write messages or dictate messages to put in the book. I've even just used plain paper and then put them together in a "book" with book rings.

If I have time, I like to take photos the weeks before the child is leaving and add some photos of the child doing different things and the child and his/her friends.

It's always a very loved and cherished thing for the kids to take with them.

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 6, 2008

When I was in elem. school I loved wearing hear baretets. Those kind that looked like ribbon bows. Well I moved in 2nd Grade. I had a wonderful teacher. She baught me a bow and a goodbye card. It was sad. I think I missed her as much as she missed me. You elem. teachers do not even begin to relize the impact you might have on a child. I loved my elem school teachers. They were God sent to me!

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2008

oh, I really like the idea of a Scholastic book and having your students sign it...really nice! Or maybe one of your favorite class books that you know he's enjoyed.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 7, 2008

Thanks, we are in a low socio economic area (like everyone) and many of the children tell me not only is the pix important to them but that we are the only people who ever gave them a book before. sad.

9. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Ooo, I like the book idea. My kids are in Head Start, so I can't ask them to bring in a book, but we might all sign a book next time. Today we put our handprints in different colors of paint and made a homemade card with the prints and stickers. The child who was moving wanted to do a handprint too, lol, he signed his own card. :lol:

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 8, 2008

The asking parent to buy the book is often a problem here as well. LIke i said we are in a low SES area as well. So, in those minutes I get 2 books out of the "books for presents box" and pretend that it went according to plan. That box is a great idea-it is where birthdays and everything come out of. I have it all the time so I am set for many emergencies!! Yardsales are a great way to keep it full.

The pix is the part the kids like as well. And yes, we often have the children sign thier own card. :thumb: