child has never had a time out before

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, Sep 17, 2009.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

I have a 3 year old in my class that was not minding, so after giving many warnings I finally put her in time out for 3 minutes. She freaked out and started crying really loud. After 30 min. of this, I had someone from the office come get her so I could teach the rest of the class. Her father informs me that she has never had a time out at home before and freaks out if one of her siblings gets a time out. He says she is never bad at home so she has never been in trouble.
    Any advice. I don't want a repeat of this any time soon. :help:

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 17, 2009

she has never been in trouble? Does that mean she has never been disicplined or that the parents areso busy with the older ones they let her do whatever she wants? Apparently she has found a way to avoid something she doesn't like. I would get the parents involved in a stratedgy meeting----

4. stellarnite

stellarnite Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

During a time when she's comfortable or in good spirits, I would try modeling how to go to time out and have her practice what it looks/feels/sounds like to go to time out. You can even go to time out yourself to show her what you expect her to do. Hopefully next time, she won't be so freaked out about it as a 'punishment.'

5. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 19, 2009

What's the point of discipline if you're going to model it? You should be modeling the appropriate behavior you want her to do in general and praising her for it. If you give her a direction to follow and she doesn't do it, follow through with it. Gently guide her to do it. Don't give warnings. Kids don't care about warnings. Be straight forward with it. If she doesn't do what you wanted her to do and you have her sit then she has won. She has escaped from what she was supposed to do. Plus it's against most daycares and states to have "time outs" so I would watch how you call them or where you put her. Also, her behavior of acting up could be that she's trying to gain your attention the negative way which is the fastest way. Plus removing the child from the classroom all together is allowing her to win as well. Plus if you do have a child go to a quiet or safe spot to take some time to their self it should never be for more than a minute. A lot of proactive rules and strategies always prevents inappropriate behavior.