Child Care versus Schools

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tracer330, Oct 1, 2009.

1. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

Oct 1, 2009

Please tell me that teaching public Pre-K, Head Start, and kindergarten are totally different from teaching Pre-K at a child care center. I can't stand serving lunch, cleaning toilets, vacuuming, having no time to plan, how unprofessional everyone is. I'm totally burnt out from child care, and I'm just wondering if teacing in an actual school would be any different.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2009

Well, every program is different but we are half day so...
    no lunch
    no vacuuming (unless I made a big mess and feel it is my responsibility) or toilets
    more pay
    very professional
    but I don't get paid planning time

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 1, 2009

I teach in public school kindergarten and none of the things you listed are a problem. Professionalism runs the gamut at all schools and daycares from very professional to completely unprofessional though, depends on the school.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2009

I work in a school where we offer extended hours (after school care) until 6 pm.

We do have lunch with the children, but the atmosphere is very professional. We have a cleaning crew that comes in every night and does the floors and the bathrooms and we get planning time and prep time every week. I love it!

Sounds like you need to get out of where you are. If they make you clean the floors in your own room, there's a problem. They're definitely not respecting you as a professional, and it's trickling down into poor morale at your school.

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 1, 2009

I teach for a school district's pre-K. I teach 2 half day sessions 4 days a week with Fridays as paid planning/inservice days. No lunches and the district provides us with custodians to clean. I agree with Tasha on the professionalism part. It just depends on the atmosphere of the work environment.

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 1, 2009

I teach in a private childcare and Idon't clean toiletsor vacuum unless I make a mess doing a project, most teaachers have 2 hours at nap time todo planning. We have a cleaning person who cleans after we close so we do have to deal with the occassional situationduring the day, and we have a partime maintenace man. We are all expected to act professional with parents, children and each other, we have montly staff meetings and ongoing professional development. We are well respected by the community and have the reputation of being one of the best in the area

8. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Oct 1, 2009

I do work in a charter and as a K teacher I did my own cleaning, with the exception of cleaning toilets. I however, did not have a RR in my classroom, and would have gladly cleaned it in exchange for having one. At times, we can have professionalism issues. I do not recieve planning time or a conference. I also am responsible for eating with my students and monitoring the cafeteria.

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 1, 2009

I teach Pre-K in a private parochial school.
    - Don't serve lunch
    -Don't vacuum
    -I have planning time.
    -My staff is professional

We have a cleaning crew who comes in every night. I do sweep up if there is a big mess. The kids bring their own snacks and lunchs.
    I open a lot of string cheese packages, juice bags, and fruit cups. I have 6 hours of planning time each week.

Look around. There's a place for you out there. ;)

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 1, 2009

tracer, Most child care workers are required to do a lot more cleaning than public/HS teachers. I agree, that it is not respectful to ask you to clean--especially the toilets. Hiring a janitor is one of the first things I would do when I began working at a new child care center. It sure increases staff moral when they know they don't have to vac and scrub at the end of the day.

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 1, 2009

I do have to wonder why so many seem to be offended at the idea of having to clean,even if it is a toilet-- if we feel that it is not respectful to ask us to clean, then what does that say about how we look at those who are janitors and such? Are we somehow putting ourselves above them because we are "teachers". Are they less appreciated or less respected by ourselves than our fellow teachers? What messege are we sending to them and to the children? I'm not passing judgement on anyone and am speaking to myself as well as anyone else....just food for thought. Those of us who are fortunate to have cleaning staff in our centers need to respect their contribution to the education of the children as much as our own. I will make it a point tomorrow to leave a thank you note for our cleaning staff. If I feel under appreciated, when I am seen by the parents each day,how much more so must the cleaning staff feel this way, whom are never seen by the parents. Reminder to self: Make a point to say thank you to Belinda.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2009

I don't have an issue with cleaning and definitely respect my custodian however.....

I wonder if men were primarily the day care providers would they be expected to clean????

If I don't get extra paid time to clean, that means I am cleaning during times I should be interacting with kids...the job I am trained for and responsible for. Or...cleaning when I should be planning.

I am, hopefully, as a college educated, certificated teacher, paid more than a custodian and therefore it is not good use of taxpayer dollars to pay me to clean.

As an adult educator, at one point I was asked to have my students help me clean the room and vacuum. I agreed I would ask my almost exclusively female students to help me when and if the classes that primarily served men were asked to do the same thing. My admin. never brought it up again...my small act of rebellion on behalf of women.

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

I know cleaning professionals that have college educations and I know some that make 20 bucks an hour. I choose to accept the fact that cleaning and doing planning on my own time is part of the profession I have chosen. I knew that going into it and feel it is worth the personal reward I receive from my job.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2009

I respectfully disagree.

If we want early childhood professionals to be taken seriously as trained professionals and paid a decent wage our duties should not include cleaning. We are professional educators, not mothers, not babysitters, not custodians. Are most high school teachers or college professors asked to clean toilets - no! Do most other professions consider it appropriate to be asked to clean - no! It doesn't mean cleaning isn't worthy or that some people who have those jobs aren't educated.

If we value children and want them to have professional care, we have to promote our own profession. If we want society to value our profession we can't continue to be treated with less respect than other professions. I want children to have experienced, trained, qualified early childhood educators who are paid commensurate with the fact they are the primary educators and socializers of young children.

I apologize if I am coming off too strongly - I am very passionate about this.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

I don't think it has anything to do with respecting the other work. It has to do with what we are trained to do. Would you ask the janitor to teach the children?

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

...and I am a terrible janitor, but a fabulous teacher.

17. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2009

I have no problem cleaning my classroom and making sure the toilets are respectable during the day, but for me to be expected to do it every night before I go home so it's ready for the next day? There's no way.....I have a masters degree and I feel my time is better utilized preparing the environment for the children and being with the children. That's what I am paid to do, not clean toilets.

18. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2009

Well said! I totally agree.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2009

I have a great deal of pride in keeping my classroom spotless. It would be wonderful if we had a daily cleaning person, but it's not in the budget. It only takes me about 15 minutes to vacuum my room and clean two toilets, one sink. It's just part of the package and I accept it with no problem.

20. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 3, 2009

I wish I could tell you it was different but it really all depends on the program and the school. I have taught public pre-k for more than 10years and also worked for Head Start before that.

At Head Start I never cleaned anything, we had a cleaning crew every night that did a fabulous job, but I did serve lunch and I had planning time, all day every Friday. The staff was very unprofessional.

In public school I do more cleaning than I did at Head Start because our custodians are only responsible for cleaning the floors every other night, emptying the garbage every night, and cleaning the bathrooms every night. That's it- any other messes are my responsibility like cleaning tables and countertops etc. We do supervise lunch but it's in a cafeteria line so it's not the same as family style. I have worked with professional and unprofessional staff during my time in public pre-k. We have daily planning time for 50 minutes but it's usually taken up with meetings or something else that comes up at the last minute.

21. QueenIzzie

QueenIzzie Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

I work at a private preschool. We do not have any janitors and we are completely responsible to clean our own room plus other "chores" around the building.

This is my routine for the end of the day, to prepare for the next:

3:15pm - While the children are finishing snack I quickly vaccuum the carpet and then set up my carpet squares with manipulatives.

3:30pm - After snack is finished, I vaccuum the rest of the room and the children play with puzzles and legos in the library (connected to my room so I can monitor them)

After that is done I clean the bathroom which has two sinks and two toilets. I comet and scrub the toilets when needed, mop the floor, and use special disinfecting wipes for railings and handles.

By this time it is almost 4pm and time to take my children to late care. Oh and I forgot to mention, if anyone leaves any dirty dishes, which is usually the case, I have to load and start the dishwasher and take out bathroom/kitchen/my trash.

During the week I dust my room and mop my floors..

I can just say that it tires me out every single day and I do not feel like doing a single thing when I get home. I love my job but if I could have a little help with the cleaning every now and then, it would make it so much better.

After reading these responses I feel a little better though. I thought I was just "lazy" and I shouldn't complain too much.

22. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

I don't think not wanting to clean toilets is disrespectful to janitors. I didn't go to school for four years to do a janitor's job; I went to become a teacher. However, I do bring in treats for our janitors, and I make sure and thank them whenever I see them.

As a public pre-k teacher, I (or my assistant) have to clean tables before and after meals and snacks, put out meals and snacks (our meals come from the cafeteria on a cart and are put back on the cart--the kids put it back), sweep after meals, clean up any spills or art messes. Occasionally I will clean off the toilet if it's yucky.

As a Head Start teacher, my assistant and I did all that, plus mop the floor, vaccuum the room, clean the toilets and sinks, and take out the trash. Plus we rotated cleaning the kitchen for one week every two months. It was so exhausting after a full day of teaching to have to clean so much.

23. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

I am a Director of a Preschool. We have a janitor that comes in every morning between 3am-6:30am and cleans everything for us. But durring the day it is my responsibility to make sure the facitity is acceptable. I dont make my teachers clean their rooms, because they are suposed to be supervising the students.

BUT...if their class makes a mess with playdough they clean it up. If their class spills juice or paint all over a table or carpet they clean it up. I will help ofcourse, as will my office manager.

If a child vomits in the middle of the day.........well me the big boss has to clean it up because we cant leave it there for the janitor in the morning.

I understand complaining, and I dont feel a teacher should clean while they are incharge of children (here in california the regulations dont allow it anyway)

And yea every time a toilet clogs and I am the one who plungers it, I do say I dont remember it being in the Director job description to plunger a toilet.

BUT..some one has to do it.

If you dont want to clean, then find a place where you wont have to.

24. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Oct 8, 2009

I think you said it perfectly :thumb:

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 8, 2009

Terri, that is not the cleaning I object to. It is the deep cleaning that needs to be done daily. Like mopping all the floors and vacuming all the carpets. Cleaning the toilets, wiping the bathroom stalls, washing the walls, dusting the baseboards, and window sills. Sweeping the patio, washing the windows, and etc.

26. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009

I know that in one of my previous daycare facilities that I worked at we all had to do the deep cleaning. There was no one else to do it. Our director gave us a check list at the begining of the month and we had to have it finished by the end of the month. We all had to be responsible for the inside of our classooms and we were responsible for a section of the hallway outside of our classrooms. That was just a part of the job. I never had a problem because my environment is a reflection of myself.

27. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Oct 9, 2009

Blue, and the deep cleaning is what a janitor should be for. But before we had a janitor, and between janitors, myself, my office manager & the teachers all pitched in to get it done. But, I know that not every place has that. We are lucky in that our janitor cares about the place as much as we do. :D

28. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 10, 2009

I'm not offended at the idea of having to clean, I don't have TIME to clean. With a classroom full of kids to teach and all the responsibilities and duties, there is no TIME. Any time I do have should be spent planning/preparing lessons.

29. msj

msj Companion

Oct 27, 2009

Just curious...How many of you clean all your toys yourself and how often? I hear a lot about the floors, tables, etc. I have to take out my own garbage (even if there is only one piece in there), clean the tables, and clean the toys (soap and water, than air dry, then put them away). They tried to get us to vaccum but I fought that one until they gave in and just made us vaccum if we made a big mess, which I have no problem with. There is a janitor that comes in at night and vaccums (super nice lady).

30. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2009

WE have to clean everything ourselves in terms of the materials and the environment. The only thing the cleaning crew does is vacuum and mop, and clean the bathrooms and sinks. Everything else is up to us.

31. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Oct 30, 2009

We clean everything but the bathrooms and places that need mopped.

That includes:
    all materials/toys
    vacuuming
    kitchen/dishes
    windowsills/ledges
    Taking out garbage

I don't love it but luckily we all work together so it isn't too bad. The worst is cleaning toys, which I wouldnt expect a janitor to do anyway, but I just hate spraying and soaking stuff.

I am a Pre-K teacher at a daycare center where once you turn 3 you are considered to be in the Pre-K, though Pre-K only runs from 9-11:30 and anything after that is "daycare".

But--I knew that going in and even though I am college educated and an *almost there* elementary school teacher, I don't mind; but if I had to fit all that in between 9-11:30 when I was supposed to be doing my Pre-K lessons, I would be pretty upset.

32. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

wow; personally, I think a cleanup crew should deal with that.

I know, I know...it's not in the budget.

If not, then any employee that seeks a job there should know upfront what the expectations of his/her job is going to be.

I'm also answering this w/regards to the jobs that BLUE has mentioned above.

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

ORIGINAL THREAD:

Tracer, were the job duties brought to your attention BEFORE you took this "teaching" job?

34. mirukumeow

mirukumeow New Member

Nov 1, 2009

Teacher or Janitor?

I am really confused with all this cleaning tasks thing

In the center I am working at, all teachers need to clean the toys, materials, or sweep/mop floor, clean tables, wipe shelves, wipe window "edge" twice a month with bleach water, clean washroom, wipe the mattress. (Basically we do what a janitor should be doing but receive little pay.)

But

Is sweeping fallen leaves at the center's parking lot part of the cleaning job for a teacher? This is really embarrassing when there's a parent walked by!:dizzy:

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

I taught PreK and would clean the manipulatives often, the tables daily and generally 'neaten' up the room daily. Often, the children would help with some of these tasks! These are tasks that most early childhood ed teachers take on as part of maintaining an inviting and healthy classroom. I've never had to clean a bathroom, vacuum or sweep leaves, but if it's part of your job description then it's part of your job. I don't think it's embarassing to be seen keeping a school community clean- it conveys that you care about how your school is kept up, the safety and health of the students. Different child care centers and private schools have different expectations and job descriptions for their employees. It's good to get a clear understanding of your duties when accepting any job.

36. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

very true! Good thing to remember...get a clear understanding of your duties BEFORE accepting any job.
    Great tip, Czacza.