Chick-fil-A

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by JustMe, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

Anyone want to discuss this, or have you had enough of it on Facebook? I'm suprised it hasn't been talked about here! :)

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 1, 2012

If you eat there, you're not my friend anymore :).

Just kidding. Although I'll be severely disappointed. Today is "National Chick-fil-A Day" sponsored by Huckabee. AKA, National "Huge lines of even huge-r bigots getting their hate-sponsoring food" day.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

Well, I don't eat there for completely unrelated reasons. :)

I support gay marriage, but I still strongly disagree with mayors, colleges, and other community leaders looking to shut the restaurants down.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 1, 2012

I'm indifferent about them getting shut down.

I realize freedom of speech allows the CEO to say what he pleases and to donate to whoever he wants, and that pisses me off. Discrimination should not be protected under free speech.

Honestly, the world would be a much nicer place if all these ******** minded their own business. And that applies to everyone who hates anyone else because of their identity: racists, homophobes, sexists, Islamophobes, etc.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

Boycotts are free speech.

7. Luke8Ball

Luke8Ball Rookie

Aug 1, 2012

I agree with this. Though I completely disagree with Chick Fil A's stance, I believe that they've got every right to open a store; it was a bit overkill for the person to threaten to not let them do so. As a result, this has fueled the fire for conservatives to further dislike the LGBTQ community - one person's actions shouldn't speak for everyone!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

It should be noted that not everyone who participated today is against gay marriages and families.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

I love Chick-fil-A's food.
    I fully support gay marriage.

Do I support their beliefs if I eat there? Nope. I probably eat there twice a month.

Do I think they should keep their opinions to themselves? Yup. It is not necessary to make that sort of statement and ostracize some of their customers. Although, in the CEO's defense, he was ASKED.

I live in the South. I teach in a very small and religious community. I often keep my mouth shut on my religious and political views because it is just not worth it. If you ASK me my opinion, I will tell you. However, I don't flaunt it. It is just not worth the attitudes I will get. I teach their kids, so I have to keep my mouth shut to keep the peace sometimes. Chick-fil-A should realize that it is much easier that way :)

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 1, 2012

One of the freedoms of living in America is the right to have your own opinion--- regardless of what that is. Whether you agree with Chik-Fil-A, or anyone else's opinion, for that matter is completely a personal choice. Trying to force someone to change their opinion, because it is different from what you believe is not effective. Neither is name calling. Should we be tolerant of others beliefs? Absolutely, but that means you have to tolerate those you don't agree with as well.

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 1, 2012

:yeahthat: oh my goodness, you took the words out of my mouth!

12. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 1, 2012

Boycotting Chick-fil-A is not a matter of just disagreeing with Carthy's intolerant spew he calls "free speech"; it's choosing to not fund a company that donates MILLIONS of dolalrs to anti-gay organizations.

I am completely tolerant of everyone's beliefs until they directly affect me. I am NOT going to lie and say I tolerate homophobes because that directly affects me.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

Whether I agree with what they said or not, I'll defend their right to say it. It's called "free speech."

I also work in a very conservative religious school, and I keep my views to myself. If someone outright asked me, I'd tell them, but surprisingly enough, the people I work with just assume everyone agrees with them. Let them assume.

I frequently eat breakfast at said restaurant. I chose not to go there today.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have seen people who have been de-friended on facebook because of their opinion on this issue alone. I saw the line at our local CFA, it was looooooooooong at different times of the day. I normally eat there about 3-4 times a month: not because I agree with their stance but because I love their chicken sandwich.

Just wanted to add: I had no idea before now where the money was going. That might make me reconsider eating there.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2012

Yep. I'd go there in a heart beat today. I'm not sacrificing the lively hoods of the franchise owner, the workers, etc all the way down the chain because many want to boycott because of the personal beliefs of the owner.

I would boycott if the company held the policy of discrimination.

In attempts to hurt the owner, thousands of gay marriage supporters will be hurt in the process. What a shame that isn't thought through when those in such a emotional upheaval got the grand idea to boycott.

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 1, 2012

The company doesn't fun anti-gay organizations. The owner used his personal funds to fund anti-gay marriage organizations.

Please show me the companies records if I am wrong, not just someone's blog with hersay.

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I do not and will not eat at Chick-fil-A. I've been aware of their stance for many years now (they've never hidden it), and I will not let my money go to fund a hate group.

According to this source, the corporation actually sponsors the groups that promote an anti-homosexual agenda. http://www.thenation.com/blog/16914...-fil-unwittingly-defend-corporate-personhood#

I don't agree that communities should forbid the restaurant from opening in their cities. Let the free market do its thing. I won't eat there, and I hope they either go out of business or stop funding hate groups.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

From ThinkProgress:

Chick-fil-A has given at least $5 million to anti-gay organizations, including known hate groups and proponents of ex-gay therapy, since 2003, including almost $2 million in both 2009 and 2010.

Chick-fil-A has a 0 rating on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, which signifies that the company does not offer one protection, one benefit, or even one diversity training for its LGBT employees.

(especially interesting)
    Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy openly admitted that he would probably fire any employee who “has been sinful or done something harmful to their family members.”

Current Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy has used the following language to describe supporters of same-sex marriage:

“We are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say ‘we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.”
    “I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.”
    “We see all the twisted up kind of stuff that’s going on. Washington trying to redefine the definition of marriage and all the other kinds of things.”
    “We are suffering the consequences of a society and culture who has not acknowledged God or not thanked God—he’s left us to a deprived mind. It’s tragic and we live in a culture of that today.”

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

:yeahthat:

20. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 1, 2012

I would stop going to Wendy's in a heartbeat if I found out they were donating millions to anti-gay organizations. Do I love their guacamole chicken sandwich? Absolutely. Could I find something better? Of course.

So that argument is moot.

21. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

No one would be arguing for their free speech if they were funding hate groups against another group of people also. CFA has also had a rePutation for not being fair to women, such as firing them to allow them to stay at home with their children. I was also told by an employee that when one local owner died his widow was forced to sell the resteraunt because women are not allowed to own CFA franchises.

22. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 1, 2012

Exactly what I was talking about.

I'm so sorry the fact that my boyfriend and I love each other is bringing on God's wrath :rolleyes:.

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

For me, this has nothing to do with the First Amendment. I fully support anyone's right to say whatever it is that they want to say, no matter how much I disagree. I am choosing not to eat at Chick-fil-a until they stop donating to organizations that I do not support, and that actively work against an entire group of people. For a similar reason, I no longer donate to my local chapter of United Way. It's similar to how I try to eat at places that use cruelty-free meat products, and use products with no animal testing. It's about using products and supporting organizations I trust and believe in. This is not about one man's personal beliefs for me.

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

Honestly, I don't even really care what Chick Fil A does with their money. I am not naive enough to think that MANY corporations have less-than-desirable donations. My problem is with the company's hiring practices, and the discrimination that comes along with it. National candidates for office aren't vetted as much as a Chick Fil A manager candidate (;)), and I don't agree with that.

Bottom line, I wouldn't work for a place that insisted on interviewing my children to find out "what kind of man I am" (oh, wait, I'm not...darn it), so therefore I won't eat there either.

I guess I'm lucky in that there aren't any Chick Fil A's anywhere near me.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Never been to one. Absolutely no reason to start.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Like I said before, until this Saturday when bandnerd pointed it out to me, I had no idea where their money was going. After finding that out, I probably won't eat CFA again.

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

There probably are lots of businesses out there that support things I disagree with and I don't know about it, but I *do* try to be an informed consumer. There are lots of scary stories and reports about what Coke is doing in South America. I believe the reports to be reliable, so when I learned about it a few years ago, I stopped buying Coke products. I don't go around condemning Coke, but when people ask I tell them what I have learned and why I don't support their product.

I will not let blind consumption lead me, and I don't accept the idea of "oh, well, they all do it..." I think these companies will only do what we allow them to do. They're motivated by a dollar more than anything else, so I will choose to put my dollar elsewhere.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2012

:thumb:

I've only eaten at one of those restaurants once, and I didn't really care for it. I didn't even have one near me until the past year or so. The next town has one. My mom ate there today when she was shopping. Two of my gay friends went there for supper the day after all the hype started. :p They like the chicken.

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

That's exactly what I mean band. Being informed as a consumer is so important! I would have never known about this if not for the hullabaloo now.

30. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

I wholly support those people who wish to boycott Chick-fil-A due to the CEO's stance on gay marriage and/or his funding choices. Where and what people eat is their own choice.

That being said, I wholly support those who want to eat at Chick-fil-a for the same reason... where and what they eat is their choice to make.

Will I eat there? I just recently saw one open up near me here in California. I honestly didn't know any were here in California, so yes, I'll try them out. If it's good food, I'll continue to eat there (as I would any restaurant); if it's yucky food, I'll look elsewhere.

As a Christian, I respect others, regardless of their lifestyle. I may not agree with it, but it's NOT my place to judge them. I just ask that others respect me and my views.

Respect is a two-way street. Too often a side demands that the other side respects THEIR views, but refuse to respect that side's views.

Double standards never work.

31. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

Well said, Ted :)

32. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I love their chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce and waffle fries. I will continue to eat there. I will continue to support gay marriage and equality.

I believe in freedom of speech and I believe it opens up a lot of interesting topics for conversation. I have a relative who is not very big on gay marriage. Just recently through a nice, open dialogue that person has begun to change their thoughts. I really appreciate that.

33. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

Even though I am a very conservative Republican, I support gay marriage and I support Chick-fil-A's right to say what they want. I have a very close family member who is gay and in a committed relationship and unfortunately cannot be "legally" married so I have seen first hand how this affects gays and their families. I also believe in the rights of any American to say what they believe in whether I agree with them or not even if it personally affects me. Not everyone is going to have the same exact beliefs as I do and if they do not have the right to speak their beliefs then neither do I. I do not normally boycott anything even if I do not agree with them. I do not like Chick-fil-A food but they have the best iced tea in my area and about half of the students in my school stop there before and after school and one student who brings me an iced tea every morning.

34. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

I've never eaten there because their food is crappy. Well I assume so since I've never tasted it;) I just happen to know it's nutritionally void. As my mom would say "might as well eat the wrapper it comes in, has the same nutritional value!"

Also, we don't have Chick Fila in Costa Rica, my morality issues are solved!

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 1, 2012

I couldn't have eaten at CFA if I wanted to recently. The lines were out to the street.

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

That is my order, too! With their lemonade.

Anyway, this is not the first time their views have come up. My boss at my PT job is gay, and he would eat there several times per week. I know because he leaves his cups on his desk. I have not seen a single cup since this became widely talked about again. I'm not sure if he is boycotting it or not. (I can't ask. He doesn't admit to being gay, but I knew within 2 seconds of meeting him, and he has a 'roommate')
    I hate Walmart and their practices. However, as someone on a very tight budget, I shop there for certain things (especially cleaning supplies and paper products).
    Just because I patronize an establishment does not mean that I support their beliefs/practices.

37. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

Actually, Chick-fil-A usually comes up as the healthiest of fast food restaurants. They bring in fresh chicken daily. They cut it and bread it there in each location. It is not over processed stuff. They even have grilled nuggets now.
    (And their food is delicious. Just sayin')

38. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

39. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

To me, this issue transcends "free speech" and is more about discrimination. If they were sending money to the KKK, would we be having this conversation?

40. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

Exactly! It's like because it is against "those" people, it is ok!

41. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

A friend posted this letter on FB-I thought it was very well-written. Could you imagine building one on the "Freedom Trail". The letter from Boston's Mayor is at the bottom. He says he shook hands of these people and he's supposed to turn around and say yes, it's ok for this business to be here? Anti-hypocritical--not very common in politics! :thumb:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/thomas-menino-boston-mayor-chick-fil-a-letter_n_1703770.html-

I wish I ate there so I could boycott it. ;) People have actually made me mad on FB-I didn't defriend them because I hate letting political views get between friendships-but some of the comments about how so many people came out to eat there it means they support the owners too-makes me mad. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.