Chicago Strike Coverage

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by FourSquare, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

I'd still like to know why the distict needs to personalized trash bags. Plain ones would save a buck or two

And the whole longer school day...they really proposed adding ninety minutes a DAY? Is that true?

2. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 16, 2012

Okay, it's not really the contract per se that's an issue.

Delegates voted to take information back to schools. A meeting was called at 3pm. They didn't have copies of the framework until 3:45pm. Then at 5pm union leadership was all COME VOTE ON THIS THING YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ. The framework is 23 pages and can be found here: http://www.ctunet.com/blog/house-of-delegates-votes-to-continue-strike

Teachers did not trust a "framework" that was not in contract language and not something they actually got to read. I'm not signing off on something I didn't see.

Reports from delegate friends were that even Karen and the union seemed surprised by the vote. I think they wanted to wrap this up in a cute little bow by tomorrow. She is taking a lot of heat for not "selling" us on the contract, but truth is we chose to read it. The vote was 60-70% against ending the strike. If we leave the picket lines, it's over. I don't trust anybody to negotiate in good faith after that.

It'll be fine. Rahm's just filing injunctions so it looks like he's doing something. They already anticipated that.

I have reason to believe the contract will pass Tuesday. It's all right. We made some good gains. My favorite part is the clause that says you can't stick sped kids in the basement/far away corridor anymore. (Yeah, that's still a thing. :rolleyes:)

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 16, 2012

Were you at the meeting? Just curious.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

No, but my neighbor is a delegate. :) She gave me her version of the details.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2012

Chances are the trash bags are personalized because too many of them were, um, disappearing otherwise.

I purely hate being leaned on to sign something when I'm not given time to read it.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

PM on the way :).

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

For the record.

This vote was simply to suspend or not suspend the strike.

Every member will get to eventually vote on the contract when all of the language is written.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2012

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    He needs to STOP! Can you believe the contract given to our Union for delegate vote was only a summary and was not signed by the board? Even a young child knows you don't agree to part of a contract and especially not to one that isn't even signed by the person offering it to you.....:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

I don't know, at this point, if we will be back in the classroom on Wednesday because a lot of teachers want to see the entire FINAL offer written up as the 120 page intended contract. I guess we just can't let ourselves GRADE the outline...we need the final copy. Go figure!!

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

Honesty, I voted to go back Wednesday. I think if we push for the full thing in writing we will a)never get it and b)lose public support rapidly. But I can understand why people would want to stick it out. I just don't think it's worth it. But I will stand in solidarity with the majority vote tomorrow.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 17, 2012

I agree. Our school is divided. A couple of teachers feel strongly about continuing with the strike but many of us want to go back to work on Monday. Regardless of what we choose we won't be that united anymore so we will not be as strong!!:(

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2012

Spoke with my Principle friend tonight (well it is night here) and he reckons that Rahm will shaft the teachers once they are back at work. He has form for this sort of thing.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

I feel very conflicted. I hope we do not divide the unity we have created across the last few weeks.

14. WindyCityGal606

Sep 17, 2012

We didn't take a vote today. Did you have an actual vote? We met to discuss the main points in the summary and our delegate wrote down questions some people still had and he said he'd find out and get back to us so, no....our staff hasn't voted yet. We plan to do that tomorrow.

15. WindyCityGal606

Sep 17, 2012

Unfortunately, from what our delegate said about their meeting yesterday, it was extremely hostile between, not only the union leaders and the delegates, but amongst the delegates themselves.:(
    I think whatever the decision ends up being about whether to continue or end the strike, this will cause more outspoken division between teachers but the divide has always been there. It will just be out of the shadows now. Our school agreed to stand united and strong and to support each other when one of us is having trouble with the principal or needs to file a grievance.:hugs: It's all rainbows and butterflies right now with our staff but I'm a realist and I doubt that will last once the dust settles. We'll be back to our usual gossip and venting. :rolleyes:

16. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 17, 2012

We were much divided. One teacher even criticized veteran teachers for wanting to stop the strike and accused them of messing it up for the young teachers. :(

17. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

We were divided in yesterday's vote. We have not decided tomorrows yet. I myself do not even know where I will vote tomorrow.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

Yes. Our delegates reviewed notes from yesterday and we voted after reading it together.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2012

I have been following this with interest. In our state ( not allowed to strike state), many of the things you are fighting have already been instituted and are being challenged in court. If other states manage to get a lot of those provisions thrown out, it can only support the states who are fighting similar challenges.

It may be one way to pave a new road in education...one that goes back to putting children first, but not at the expense of the people caring for them in the schools. (I include everyone from the custodians, bus drivers, cafeteria, teachers, paras, and administrators...who are also caught up in the mess)

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 17, 2012

Swansong- you bring up a valid point- and one I have discussed with colleagues. We may not win every fight we set out to- in fact I know we won't. Perhaps the next move/strategy is for legislative changes. Why is it that Chicago cannot bargain over class size and Chicago is seen as different than the rest of the state on so many issues.

I think this fight is not over. In fact I know it isn't and the union has said that all along. Especially knowing the school closing list when it is announced will most likely have 80 - 120 schools on the list.

I just hope that whatever happens tomorrow and however we proceed we can do it unified and with dignity. The fact that I am so conflicted and do not have a clear way of voting in my mind after researching and spending hours debating, reading information, attending meetings and talking to colleagues makes me wonder if others are exhibiting similar conflicts. I guess I expected at the end of all of this I would have a clear path of how I would proceed for myself- not realizing that I could argue amongst myself and colleagues with an equal list of pros and cons going in each direction.

I hope we continue to rally, support each other and fight for our children. Many of us have been chanting for several days at rallies. "This is what democracy looks like." I also realize now that a true democracy can be uncomfortable and ugly, but I hope we emerge united and ready to fight our next battle. We have many priorities including an elected school board, state legislature and equality.

21. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 17, 2012

I don't feel that the fight is over at all. I think that we should still continue to fight but this time by going to state legislature. We could probably use the parents' support that we got to help us continue fighting.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2012

chicago, democracy is indeed capable of being uncomfortable and messy. Hugs to you and to your colleagues as you deliberate: may all of you deal with each other respectfully.

I suppose one could say that the test of a democracy that will last is not whether it reaches agreement but how civilly it can handle disagreement - whether it can brook dissent without demonization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.