Chicago Strike Coverage

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by FourSquare, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 12, 2012

Just starting a new thread since the other one was locked. I will cover any big news here/post fun photos for you. :)

News Today:

• Rumored resignation of CEO Jean Claude Brizzard. He sent a mass email denying this....but forgot that CPS email is disabled for 26,000 striking employees. *facepalm* :blush:
    • Custodians might strike with us as early as Friday. :D
    • Scab schools will be open until 2:30 starting tomorrow since parents complained (Duh) that it's pointless to drop their kids off for 4 hours and then have to leave work to get them by 12:30.
    • On a smaller scale, but still just as important: Lake Forest, Illinois teachers are on strike today too! SOLIDARITY!

I am SO TIRED. This is way harder than I thought. I miss my kids and my classroom like no other. I hope they are all doing okay. I kinda of wish I would have given them more homework. :reading:

[​IMG]

*cute alert*

[​IMG]

Yay, families! The official strike band. :lol: Various K-2 students brought horns, drums, and tambourines to march with.​

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 12, 2012

I hate that you have to do this, but I love that so many people are understanding why.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2012

I agree completely.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 12, 2012

I wore red again today, even though I was off work for a medical procedure. The receptionist (who knows I'm a teacher) asked me what I thought about the strike in Chicago, so I told her why I was wearing red, and what I know of the "real" issues. Guess what - a new convert! Small steps....

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2012

:hugs: Watching the news hurts. How can they spin so wildly out of control? Having attended all the rallies this week, I have been witness to countless press conferences for all the local networks. By the time the tiny clips are aired, they have been edited for public view, rearranging content and context, twisting the truth terribly. How can they get away with that?

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 12, 2012

They can twist it any way they like, because they are private corporations. Even if they were government-run, there would be a spin based upon the administration's bent.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 12, 2012

I think that those of you there with cell phones, digital cameras, etc., need to flood youtube & teachertube & facebook with factual coverage that won't be seen on the networks!

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 12, 2012

This opinion post was written by a non-teacher friend of mine. I thought you all might appreciate it:

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2012

I love that. I don't think people think about social media and how many people with non-teaching jobs can be on it all day. We can't. And if we do post something during planning or lunch time, someone will make a snide comment.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

I love your friend's post!

I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the CTU that you all managed to get 23,480 teachers out to vote. I sometimes fear that the real reason the reformers aka as "deformers" are so successful is the constant play nice and lackadaisicalness of the teachers that I see happen all the time.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 13, 2012

No, lackadaisical teachers here! We marched downtown again for Day 4. No school will be held tomorrow, but there are stirrings that a deal is close. A strike coordinator told my school today that she heard of dramatic movement on teacher evaluation. Supposedly, the whole plan is off the table. Test scores will not be considered at all.

I can't really believe that would happen, so we'll see how that goes. :whistle:

Chicago, ground zero on teachers and test scores
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-chicago-teacher-strike-20120912,0,1669418.story

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2012

Ah, the Good Gray Lady, the Los Angeles Times... I grew up on the Times and, when my dad needed his Pogo fix, what was then the Santa Ana Register: between those and the Doug Manchester-owned San Diego Union-Tribune, allegations of "liberal media bias" in Southern California newspapering have always made me laugh.

I'll take a look.

14. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 13, 2012

We're fully behind you FourSquare. I'm glad progress is starting to be made!

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 13, 2012

The dentist asked me today why I wear so much red. I don't usually. As a redhead, it's just not my color. I've been running my mouth to anybody who will listen all week, and plan to wear red until the strike is over.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2012

Red isn't one of my colors either, but let me rummage up a red shirt before I head out this evening.

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 13, 2012

18. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Sep 13, 2012

I have been trying to spread the true word about this as much as possible! I had a friend that posted on my facebook wall saying I should move to Chicago and take a job, because I would be paid so much. I used that as a "teachable moment" :)

Stay strong, Chicago!

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 14, 2012

We received support from SEIU Local 1 AKA our janitorial staff.

Janitors Show Support For Striking Teachers
    http://progressillinois.com/news/co...gn=Feed:+ProgressIllinois+(Progress+Illinois)

[​IMG]

Many of them walked off the job today and joined the picket lines. Some wore these red scarves while they worked....if only for the safety of the children. Can't have them wading through trash or slipping on spills! Either way, I love the solidarity. :D

20. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 14, 2012

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 16, 2012

Update: Delegates are meeting today to potentially vote on a contract. Highlights have been published:

The new proposed CTU/CPS contract will:

• Secure Raises & Ensure Fair Compensation: The CTU wants a three-year contract. It will secure a 3% raise in the first year, 2% raise in the second and 2% raise in the third, with the option to extend to a 4th year by mutual agreement at another 3% raise.
    • Defeat Merit Pay: The CTU successfully fought the star of national misguided school reform policies. The Board agreed to move away from “Differentiated Compensation,” which would have allowed them to pay one set of teachers (based on unknown criteria) one set of pay versus another set of pay for others.
    • Preserve Steps & Lanes: The new contract will preserve the full value of teachers and paraprofessionals career ladder (steps); and, it will increased the value of the highest steps (14, 15 and 16)
    • Provide A Better School Day: The Board will hire over 600 additional ‘special’ teachers in art, music, physical education, world languages and other classes to ensure students receive a better school day, a demand thousands of parents have called for since last year
    • Ensures Job Security: Creates a “CPS Hiring Pool,” which demands that one-half of all of CPS hires must be displaced (laid-off) members.
    • Adds An Anti-Bullying Provision: No more bullying by principals and managerial personnel. The new language will curtail some of the abusive practices that have run rampant in many neighborhood schools.
    • Paraprofessional & Clinicians Prep Time: The new contract will guarantee preps for clinicians.
    • Racial Diversity: The CTU continues to fight the District on its lay-off policies that has led to a record number of African American educators being laid off and eventually terminated by the District. The new contract will ensure that CPS recruits a racially diverse teaching force.
    • New Recall Rights & Tackling School Closings: Acknowledging, the CTU will continue its ongoing legal and legislative fight for a moratorium on all school closings, turnarounds and phase-outs, the new contract requires teachers to “follow their students” in all school actions. This will reduce instability among students and educators. The contract will also have 10 months of “true recall” to the same school if a position opens.
    • Fairer Evaluation Procedures: The new contract will limit CPS to 70% “teacher practice,” 30% “student growth” (or test scores)—which is the minimum by state law. It also secures in the first year of implementation of the new evaluation procedures there will be “no harmful consequences” for tenured teachers. It also secures a new right—the right to appeal a rating.
    • Reimbursement for School Supplies: The contract will require the District to reimburse educators for the purchase of school supplies up to $250.
    • Additional Wrap-Around Services: The Board agrees to commit to hire nurses, social workers and school counselors if it gets new revenue. Over the past several months, the CTU has identified several sources of new revenue, including the Tax Increment Financing program.
    • Books on Day One: For the first time, the new contract will guarantee all CPS students and educators have textbooks on day one and will not have to wait up to six weeks for learning materials.
    • Unified School Calendar: The new contract will improve language on a unified calendar. The District will have one calendar for the entire school district and get rid of Track E and Track R schools. All students and teaching personnel will begin on the same schedule.
    • Reduced Paperwork: The new contract ensures the new paperwork requirements are balanced against reduction of previous requirements.

I told my delegates to vote "NO" until I/we get to read the actual contract. I want all 19 pages. The devil is in the details! And they have not addressed several issues in here that need to be addressed. Facilities, class sizes, standardized testing....I didn't do all this so we can get screwed over by some vague bullet points. And I'm not about to go back to school, vote down a lame contract in 2 weeks, and then have to strike again. :mad:

NO.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 16, 2012

Just curious, what are "track e/r" schools?

And since when is it ever acceptable for students NOT to have materials on the first day of class. Seriously? This was something the district did NOT want to do??

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2012

I read somewhere the vote was supposed to be at 3 today? Is that correct?

24. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 16, 2012

:thumb:

25. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 16, 2012

Track R schools are schools that follow traditional school years: start in September, end in June, two weeks off in December/January, and one week off in March and/or April.

Track E schools follow a different calendar. We start the first week of August, have 2 weeks off in October, 3 weeks off in December/January, one week off in April, and end classes in the middle of June.

Many schools that start during the first week of August don't have AC so they have to endure more days under very hot conditions.

26. WindyCityGal606

Sep 16, 2012

I agree!

27. WindyCityGal606

Sep 16, 2012

Not having books or other necessary teaching materials is a common practice of CPS schools. :whistle:

28. WindyCityGal606

Sep 16, 2012

Update...the contract the delegates are looking over consists of 100 pages!

29. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 16, 2012

Catalyst says:

Catalyst Chicago Mag ‏@CatalystChicago
    Signs are pointing to deal being rejected and school still being out tomorrow. No confirm, but overheard at door of mtg. More motions.

Catalyst Chicago Mag ‏@CatalystChicago
    Union leadership is still trying to convince... heard thru door of house of delegates.

Stand strong, delegates! NO. NO. NO.

30. WindyCityGal606

Sep 16, 2012

Do you know if it needs to just be a majority vote or if it must be unanimous?
    I certainly hope the CTU allows teachers to view the deal. It would be very wrong to not allow us that chance.

31. WindyCityGal606

Sep 16, 2012

Update to the Update
    No school tomorrow. Strike is still on.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

Aw, that's wonderful! :)

But do they really have customized trash bags?! Am I seeing that right?

33. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 16, 2012

:|:|:|:|:|:|:|

Karen just said no school until WEDNESDAY at the earliest.

34. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 16, 2012

Wow!! Did anyone expect the strike to go on this long? How is everyone staying informed? Does CTU send out email updates to all the teachers? What are Principals saying about the strike? Just curious.

35. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 16, 2012

Do you know what issues they are still not agreeing on?

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 16, 2012

I "liked" the Chicago Teachers Union and the Chicago Teachers Solidarity campaign groups on FB. Between the two of them, I'm flooded with updates. I think I missed Karen's announcement though. I had trouble loading the livestream. :(

37. WindyCityGal606

Sep 16, 2012

The big issue causing concern are the school closings.

38. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 16, 2012

I tried to find it on Facebook and I couldn't. I have limited access on my phone so I think that's the reason. I'd like to get the updates, though.

39. WindyCityGal606

Sep 16, 2012

They'll replay it on the major networks on tonight's news.

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 16, 2012

It's two separate pages, and they were both a little tricky for me to find initially. There's a ton of "solidarity" pages out there, so they can be difficult to weed through.

41. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 16, 2012

Looks like I'll be wearing red tomorrow.... I'm so sorry that an agreement couldn't be reached... Why are they closing the schools? or is the disagreement over placing the displaced teachers from the closed schools? I feel so uninformed....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.