Chicago Public Schools Teachers--Unite Here :)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 10, 2006.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 30, 2007

When you say you have to register your certificate with CPS what do you mean? When I did my paperwork they looked me up on ECS, and I registered my certificate through ECS with 299. Hopefully that's what you mean?

I still haven't gotten paid for any work except for the first three days of school. I got a stub on CPS@work (not a real check or direct deposit) for the first full week of school - but no actual money. AND NO ONE WILL HELP ME OR OUR SCHOOL'S CLERK! Ugh!

How do progress reports work in CPS? We haven't really talked about it at the school level.

2. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

To late, I already asked CPS. I e-mailed them. Probably dumb. I get overly worried about these things. I don't get time to speak with my union rep ever. I don't see anyone in my building who doesn't teach pre-k or kindergarten.

I don't do progress reports. This is the first year they are on IMPACT so I am sure it is totally different. Head Start is going to do something differnet for report cards this year, maybe, (don't you think they should decide since we are a little over a month away from the end of the quarter?).

I don't know. I registerd my certificate with the state and it is good until 2008. But I had to pay them more money last year or the year before because I had a provisional and now I have an initial. I spoke on and off with HR all August long, with people looking me up, so I think they would have told me if I had to do anything. The union needs to be clearer on their little blurbs.

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 3, 2007

Does anyone happen to have the BCBS PPO phone number? I haven't gotten a card yet, and no one can help me get one at BCBS. THANKS!

4. lilirei

lilirei Rookie

Oct 3, 2007

snicky, it always takes a while to get the cards. call benefits tomorrow and ask for your group id, etc etc. you can still make claims without the cards.

however, i tried to pick up an rx yesterday and they said my caremark info was "expired". siiigh.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 3, 2007

They are 800 331 8032- but ho0w do you have benefits already? Don't you not get them for 90 days?

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 3, 2007

Thanks for the number.... I should have the benefits. Benefits start the first of the month after the first full month after you're hired (hired in August = benefits starting October 1). And it's messy too because my old district had BCBS and they're pulling up my old info.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2007

Did anyone else have a headache from trying to use Impact yesterday for progress reports? ARGH!!!! The server was overloaded so it was frozen most ogf the day. You'd think they'd fix gliches like that in advance!!!!!

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 4, 2007

I don't have to do progress reports, but I had trouble submitting my attendance today.

9. WindyCityGal606

Oct 4, 2007

I finally got my grades and comments submitted into progress reports. It was really ridiculous considering it's only a 5 week report. What can you acuratelly assess in the first 5 weeks? Not much!!! I didn't fail anyone because it woudn't reflect their ability at this point just their laziness at having missing assignments!!
    I am so glad tomorrow is Friday and it's a 3-day weekend! We deserve it!! I know, in time, Impact will become my friend but right now, I want to kick its a s s!!! LOL
    And how was YOUR day?

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 4, 2007

I miss my blue book. I really do.

I don't have to do progress reports, but that is okay. Head Start Paperwork keeps me busy enough.

My day was great, but my last two days were aweful. So... I'm glad also for the 3 day weekend, but I have a lot of work to do.

11. WindyCityGal606

Oct 4, 2007

My biggest headache with attendance has been remembering to get it done by 10:00am daily!! I am always running to do it at 9:58!!! I get sidetracked because I want to keep the kids on track and TEACH!! silly me!! Our school discourages tardies getting marked in the system so they want us to submit as late as possible! I think tomorrow I will start submitting as soon as they walk in and to hell with it all!!

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 4, 2007

Well I usually do my AM class at 9:15 and my PM class at 11:45

13. WindyCityGal606

Oct 5, 2007

WOW!! You were still up at 11PM? I passed out at 9:30!! My cat woke me up at 4:30 today! I guess she felt I'd slept long enough!!!

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 5, 2007

Yeah - I'm behind on a lot of work for work. I didn't even pay attention to Grey's last night because I was doing work for work. I'm also behind on work for school. I got to bed at like 11:30. I'm exhausted now. I did get my emergency lesson plans written as well as my time distribution sheet (I told you I'm behind) and some Head Start mumbo Jumbo.

15. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 5, 2007

How is Impact for progress reports? We get to do them by paper this time around, at least. I am anti doing A-Fs for primary kids, but that's just my two cents. I agree Zoe... what on earth can you assess in five weeks? I feel like I have just gotten a feel for reading level and that sort of thing, which we do factor in to our reading grade, but that's about it! Plus, we do rotations of SS and science units, and we're in a science unit right now - so there's no real SS grade to speak of!

16. WindyCityGal606

Oct 5, 2007

Our progress reports have been halted for distribution until next week due to glitches and such....
    Surprise!!
    I hated that we had to assign letter grades at 5 weeks. I did give out some D's to kids who aren't doing squat! They need to know they are behind. Most received meets the standards=C and a few got the B's and A's they are currently working hard for. UGH!!! I just don't want to hear ANY parent complaints!!! I don't have an answer as to why on earth we are giving letter grades so soon!!

17. cpsprincess

cpsprincess Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

hey... i need a little help from all of you cps teachers out there... i am wondering what is the best way to get into the cps system... i recently moved to chicago with a communications major and biology minor and i wanted to either get a masters, a second BA (in elem. ed), or an alternative certification... there are a million out there, but many deal with religious schools... while i have no problems with working in a religious school i want to work in cps (i would like to work on the south or west sides)... i have a passion for the inner city and i know that it is very difficult to find a job in elem. ed in cps... what would you think are my best options for getting a job ( i have enough credits for a middle school science teacher as well, but i would like to work with 2-4 grade)... i really want some insight... please help!!

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 7, 2007

It's so strange... I came from a district where the parents would be COMPLAINING if their kids were getting anything less than As and maybe Bs... But it seems like here Cs are pretty standard (and HELLO, it's called MEETS STANDARDS for a reason!). I'm glad for no grade inflation!

19. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 7, 2007

Welcome! You are right... Finding an el ed job is difficult, but you have the science background to build off of. You don't have to do alternative cert through religious schools. CPS has alternative cert, and many universities around the city have master's programs with certification. Would you be interested in teaching sci at all?

20. cpsprincess

cpsprincess Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I actually would be interested in science to get my foot in the door, but my passion really is with the elem children and I think that I would want to work all day with children, well doing all subjects in one classroom... I am wondering if doing a program will with catholic schools will hurt me or if it will help me... I am really confused and need some insight... oh and thank you sooo much for responding to me so quickly... I am really all over the place because I really want this...

21. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Oct 7, 2007

I'm not too familiar with the Cathloic schools in the city, although I did a tutoring program in them through my certification program.

You might want to check...
    http://www.cps-humanresources.org/firstclass/index.asp

I don't think the Catholic schools thing could hurt you... Any classroom experience is beneficial, I think, particularly if the demographics of the school are similar to those in the area you wish to teach in.

22. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 7, 2007

I am so glad we have tomorrow off.

23. WindyCityGal606

Oct 8, 2007

I am thrilled we are off today too! Every weekend should be three days. I actually feel rested! Unfortunately, I have to go to the doctor's today for my back...time to refill the muscle relaxers!! I really thought losing the 15 lbs since June would help my back but the sad fact is I have a bad back!! I wasn't even able to go to the gym this weekend for fear of injuring it more!! To top it off, I have a bad cough right now and coughing with a back ache is no PICNIC!! OWWWW!!! They open in 15 minutes!! I hope they let me come in this morning!!

24. cpsprincess

cpsprincess Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

Yea... I totally can relate to you with the whole bad back thing, it is no picnic... I am only 24 and because I was a prof. ballerina (well I was dropped and broke my back in three different places), I have a terrible back and terrible ankles and I am in pain... Muscle relaxers are clutch!! ;)

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

I'm going to the doc too. but then I am going to walk Michigan or go to the Shedd or something between doc and class. I'm also going to treat myself to a nice lunch I think.

I do have a lot of work to do for grad school to though.

26. WindyCityGal606

Oct 8, 2007

It is TOO hot to be outside!! I got in to the doctor who just prescribed an anti-inflammatory (sp) because I said I couldn't be slowed down with muscle relaxants. Hopefully it will help.

I didn't see too many people out this morning. I think it's a regular work day for most people. Still, even kids aren't out!!!

27. cpsprincess

cpsprincess Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

OMG!! I just got cupcakes from Sweet Mandy B's and drove from my house (which is about a half of a mile away) because it is so hot outside, and ALL OF THE ICING MELTED!!!!!!! EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! :mad: so now I don't know what do because I lost my parking space and my desserts are for a meeting tonight and they are melted and ugly!!!!!

Just a rant about the weather ( I know that I am going to regret complaining like this because mr. winter will bite my booty)

28. cpsprincess

cpsprincess Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

oh and there were NO kids at SMBs which is a first... what is up with the lack of children running around with the weather

29. WindyCityGal606

Oct 8, 2007

Kids like air conditioning and computers on days like this...me too!!! My pills are doing the trick!! I feel like my spine has been oiled!! YAY!!
    Where are you guys today? Snick? Turtle? Helloooooooooo???????????
    BTW...welcome princess.

30. AtoZAdmin

AtoZAdmin Forum Administrator

Oct 25, 2007