Chicago Public Schools Potential Strike

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Jun 5, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 5, 2012

Anybody following this? Voting starts tomorrow, no? I'm charter, so I don't get a say, but I'm wondering how this is all going to play out. I hope this does not challenge the hiring season!

3. gdmckav

gdmckav Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

I do not teach in CPS, so I cannot speak personally for anyone who had the chance to participate in the vote a couple days ago. Yet, I feel for the teachers in the situation. I have trouble seeing an advantage to holding a vote to potentially strike prior to negotiations starting. How does this help the bargaining team going into the discussion? I see that it might encourage the district to take them seriously in a different way. But it seems it may also damage their reputation if the vote to strike does not pass.

I don't the results as of now. Anybody hear anything?

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2012

Wow. A 24% raise in a 2 year contract or a 2% raise in a 5 year contract. They are definitely each bringing something different to the table.

It seems to me from reading the article that the purpose of voting before is that they expect negotiations to take place over the summer. They will need 75% of membership to vote. I think it is pretty standard for bylaws to require a physical hand-delivered ballot - it's possible that it can't be done via email. If they tried to vote over the summer when school is out it would probably be difficult to get 75% of the membership to vote. So I think they are voting now so that if they feel the need to strike before the school year starts, they can.

5. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

Chicago

Per Illinois Senate Bill 7, the union needs 75% of membership to approve a strike authorization, not just 75% to vote (unless exactly 75% vote and they all approve). This is why they feel that they must do it during the school year. It is very unlikely they will be able to get enough members to vote over the summer. There is an independent fact finder who will put out a report in mid-July, but it will be difficult to get enough members to vote then. It is risky though, because if it's not approved now, it will hurt them, but this is their best chance of getting 75% in favor. If negotiations aren't successful, this vote authorizes the delegates to take a strike vote. I left Chicago, my old district, to work in the suburbs, but I still follow what's going on. So glad I moved though!

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

There is a lot of misinformation going around.

Firstly negotiations have been going on for a very long time. A law passed called SB7 has changed the game.

There is a "map" somewhere of the process, and I will try to dig and find it. Basically we are at the point that both parties have realized they cannot agree and their is an independent arbitrator reading the proposals.

SB7 was passed with a lot of funding from an Oregon based group called "Stand For Children" they thought that there was no way that 75% of 25,000 teachers would vote for a strike and they could come in and take over. This along with a tyrant mayor has a grass roots campaign that has been going on for awhile and had a 10,000 person rally through the streets of Chicago on May 23, 2012.

SB7 and other prior bills also state that we can only negotiate over our salary UNLESS CPS agrees to open up parts of the contract such as class size, etc.

There are many things at stake. We hope to not go on strike, but many are hoping the strike authorization vote will make CPS open up the contract to discuss issues that are important to our schools and students.

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

Yes. Our school day has increased and we have added 10 days to our calendar. Also they claimed they did not have money for our raises last year, but in fact it has been found out that there was. Additionally, the school system tried to get schools on a school by school basis to break their contracts. It has been a very very tough year for us as teachers in this district. It has made people like myself who were unsure of what the union was needed for to start attending union meetings. Many people who are not union members are joining the union just to vote. We have reached a very uncomfortable situation as teachers between The CPS (non-elected, but appointed school board) and the teachers who work for CPS. We have many parents on our side too.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

11. DedicatedPaPa

DedicatedPaPa Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

There is a really easy solution for this.

They need to cut admin compensation by 20-30 %. Then, they need to get beg the teachers to accept a 10-14% raise over 5 years.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

13. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 9, 2012

Good for the Chicago teachers!

I hope they go through with it.

Paul Vallas started the destruction of working conditions in Chicago years ago (and for some unknown reason keeps getting jobs as a "savior" of education).

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 10, 2012

I started long after Vallas, actually I'm not sure how long after Vallas. Arne was in charge when I started. In my 8 years we've had at least 5 CEOs I believe. Our current CEO is just a yes man for the mayor. It is with him that our current issues are stemming from, for the most part.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2012

That's an enormous raise, never mind the 24% proposed one.:huh: I obviously don't know the history of negotiations and working conditions in CPS, but that kind of raise is going to be difficult to 'sell' in this economy.

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 10, 2012

They took away the 4% raise negotiated 5 years ago. 10-14% spread out over 5 years isn't that ridiculous when you factor that in.

17. DedicatedPaPa

DedicatedPaPa Rookie

Jun 10, 2012

I understand the case for CPS teachers since their workload will increase by about 18-20% especially with a longer school day and school year.

But, admins on all federal levels are drastically overpaid. In Chicago, a superintendent makes about 300-450k a year in base without accounting for other benefits. It will take a bit longer for the admins to take a hit. But, if this economy continues to stink for another 5 years, the admins will also feel the pinch.

18. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 10, 2012

Best of wishes to you Chicago teachers. I hate that it has to come to a strike but you have to do what you have to do.

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 11, 2012

23,000 + yes , under 500 no

21. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Wow! Hopefully this helps with negotiations!

22. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 12, 2012

Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with czacza, but I agree. I also don't know particulars with CPS, but I do know that prospects in Chicago have been bleak like most other areas of the country. I just don't see how raises of any kind will play in this day/age.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying they aren't deserved. (ie. given COL increases, etc.) I'm saying that it just doesn't seem like it'll play well. But all this would do, is perpetuate the same thing that teachers are citing for increasing pay (i.e. longer day, more kids per class). The larger salaries, combined with continued budget crisises (which are bound to happen, since the economy is not going to improve for most if not all of this decade), will only lead to laying off the lowest members... again.

So instead of maybe laying off everyone with 5 years of experience... now maybe it's everyone with 10 years.

23. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

EDUCATORS VOTE YES

Chicago Teachers Vote Overwhelming for Strike Authorization as Contract Negotiations Continue; Union to use leverage to fight for smaller class sizes

CHICAGO – Today, the Chicago Teachers Union revealed nearly 90 percent of its eligible members voted to give their labor organization the authority to call a strike should contract negotiations reach an impasse. The Union has been in negotiations with the Chicago Public School system since November 2011. A new state law requires a 75 percent of all eligible CTU voters to vote in the affirmative in order to provide strike authorization.

Although both CTU and CPS are in the fact-finding stage of negotiations, the Union pointed out that the independent review will only provide recommendations on a small number of contract concerns. Public school educators say they are fighting for smaller class sizes, art, music, world language and physical education classes for students, and fair compensation for being asked to work under more difficult guidelines as determined by CPS.

Armed with strike authorization, teachers, paraprofessionals and clinicians say they believe this will give them more leverage at the bargaining table going forward. Should a strike become necessary, the Union’s 800-member House of Delegates will set the date for a work stoppage. The three-day vote tally showed:

Category Number ÷ Membership = %
    Total Membership
    ÷ 26,502 =
    100.00%

Members Voting “YES”
    ÷ 26,502 =
    89.73%

Members Voting “NO”
    ÷ 26,502 =
    1.82%

Members Casting Votes
    ÷ 26,502 =
    91.55%

Members Not Voting
    (includes 494 spoiled ballots)
    ÷ 26,502 =
    8.45%

24. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 14, 2012

I might not have time to respond to all of this now but, we are not expecting a 24 or 29 or 30 percent raise or whatever it is CPS press releases keep saying. This is part of the negotiation process.

We are adding 10 days to our calendar and time to our school day. Last year CPS cried poor and said they couldn't pay us, but then began offering side deals to some schools to break the contract and work longer days. A lawsuit was brought on by CTU to find out that there was money to give us our raises last year. Now CPS is countersuing.

CPS is very complicated. It is hard to understand sometimes as an insider, let alone as an outsider. There are well over 600 schools (I think 675). Each school has a different culture. Some have fabulous working conditions. Some schools have buildings from the 1800s that have not been well maintained.

More later.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

Interesting! I think this is inevitable at this point. I just hope we're not in school until....July or something. They already took Columbus and Pulaski day away! :mad:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ers-union-arbitrator-20120717,0,6061491.story

Arbitrator's report will help CTU bring back issues they wanted to discuss at negotiations

An arbitrator's recommendation that Chicago teachers get raises starting at nearly 15 percent gives union officials additional leverage and could embolden them to press harder on nonmonetary issues, said experts in education and labor Monday.

Altogether, the raises for four years would total 35.74 percent, according to the recommendation.

Workplace issues like class size, break periods and required time inside the classroom will now likely come to the fore in contract talks with Chicago Public Schools, said Rod Estvan, an education policy analyst at disability rights group Access Living.

26. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

If we strike I hope it is not long. However, I think that the strike might be back on. Both sides seem to be at an impasse.

By the way, only Chicago celebrates Pulaski day (though it was one of my favorite days off as many things were open to business and I could get many things done). Additionally, Columbus day is not celebrated in most places any more.

I would have rather kept one of those than Lincoln's birthday, since Lincoln's birthday like Veteran's day falls when it falls.

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

Are you Track R or Track E? The ONE benefit about regular track is that hopefully they get this all straightened out before September 4th. I am more worried about lost time for Track E schools going back in 3 weeks, although I imagine those schools would just convert to our horrendous calendar? I heard a rumor that everyone was to go Track E eventually. WHERE DO I SIGN FOR THAT? :haha:

28. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

I am regular track. I am not sure what is going to happen, but Rahm is not backing down.

I am eager to read the actual fact finder report. I don't think the CPS expected it to turn out how it did.

I've been working through the summer. My time off is just beginning, I can't believe that track E goes back in 3 weeks, but I too would like to be Track E.

29. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 18, 2012

30. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 18, 2012

I think that was the expected outcome of today. I was not surprised.

31. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

32. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 18, 2012

"The board cannot reasonably expect that it should not have to compensate employees for the problem it caused..."

Oh, SNAP. Somewhere, Rahm Emanuel is seething.

I read the whole thing. I don't think it's unreasonable at all, although I would have liked to see him advocate for the displaced teacher pool. I would be willing to pay the healthcare increase with an appropriate raise.

I bet they end up throwing out the longer day all together.

33. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 19, 2012

I think we'll end up with a 6.5 hour day and closed campus will be gone. Which means all IEPs will need to be redone for a third time!

I think we'll end up with a 2-4 percent raise and a 3 year contract.

Many other desires might be thrown out, like recall rights, class size and the arts. I want these things in the contract. Time will tell. Didnt think it could get uglier, but I think it will.

34. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 19, 2012

I read the report, but not the dissents yet.

35. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 24, 2012

I'm sorry to bump a thread that apparently only turtle and I find interesting, but this is HILARIOUS. How on earth is this going to work out?!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/chicago-teachers-union-cp_n_1700208.html?utm_hp_ref=chicago

Neither side said the agreement averts a strike and talks will continue on pay and other issues. But it allows the district to provide students with more instructional time – 52 minutes more for elementary students – by hiring additional teachers for enrichment programs so that current teachers will not work a longer day.