Chicago/Chicago Suburbs job search very competitive?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by blauren, Jul 24, 2013.

1. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

I've been in Ohio for the past few years and there's barely any openings in social studies anywhere around me. I've probably seen between 5-10 social studies openings in 3 years. I've always wanted to move to Chicago, got my teaching license in Illinois and I was somewhat hopeful about finding a position because I actually do see a good amount of social studies openings at CPS and in the suburbs. However I saw that CPS laid off a bunch of teachers a few days ago. Basically I just wanna know from anyone who lives in the area how competitive it is to find a job there. I've subbed for a large urban district and have had 4 long-term sub assignments. I don't know if this would look good to any principals or is it just so competitive that it doesn't make a difference. I'm actually in the process of renting an apartment with my boyfriend there because there seems to be alot of opportunities for him in IT. Those CPS layoffs just really dashed alot of the hopes I had and now I'm getting kinda anxious over it.

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

I wouldn't consider a job search in Chicago considering the fact that they are closing a bunch of schools. Since they laid of hundreds-thousands of teachers, those teachers would get called back if ANY positions open up. Meaning, they would rehire those teachers before considering outside prospects. I hate to burst your bubble but have you considered looking in other states?

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2013

I agree with the previous poster. This year, and several years prior have not been good in Chicago Public Schools. This year they closed 50 schools. That's insane.

5. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

Yea I know about the school closings but they were elementary ones that were really low in enrollment so they combined alot of those low enrollment schools. I don't know what effect that had on high schools and my licensure is 6-12.

6. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

Hmmm, your best bet would be to contact the HR department and ask them if there would be any possibly 6-12 openings in the next year or so. They would be able to give you a better insight. Good luck! :)

7. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 25, 2013

Illinois in general has had many layoffs this year. When I went to a hiring fair in St.Louis, I'd say most people who I spoke to were teachers in Illinois who were being laid off. It's just been really rough. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.