Chica Chica Boom Boom Lesson

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by disneyjen0504, Nov 10, 2006.

1. disneyjen0504

disneyjen0504 Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

Hi all! I am a grad student doing my student teaching in Kindergarten. I need to present a lesson to my peers as if they were a kindergarten class. I love the story Chica Chica Boom Boom and I recall seeing some really great lessons online that incorporated the story. Now of course I can't find any of them! I have read this story with my kindergarteners but was not able to make a lesson out of it at the time.
    Was wondering if anyone had any good ideas (or can point me in the right direction on the web) to incorporate the story Chica Chica Boom Boom into a lesson.
    THANKS!

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

run a google search using the following phrase: chicka chicka unit

you'll return a bunch of stuff--the virtual vine is prominent, and that site is usually a big help for the kinder level stuff.

good luck!

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Nov 10, 2006

Something that we did at the beginning of the year was make a tree using our hand prints for the top of the tree. I painted the students hands green and made prints at the top of the page and then had the students draw the trunk of the tree using a brown crayon. I then gave the students letter stickers and they had to make their name on the tree. You could also have students make basic sight words, since its later in the school year. I got the idea from either hubbardscupboard.com or the virtualvine.com. both of these sights have a lot of Chicka Chicka ideas.

5. Heart2Heart

Heart2Heart Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

I love that story. I also had my class make a tree and put color alphabet stickers on the trunk and up the tree. I have also seen a plastic palm tree at oriental that one teacher put sand in and displayed in her class to go with the story..

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 10, 2006

www.dltk-kids.com free Chicka Chicka Boom Boom coloring pages and http://web.archive.org/web/20020923162244/thelearningleap.com/

Make a coconut tree put a large one on the first page.
    Make a coconut tree put a large two on the second page and etc.
    Have brown coconut shapes. Students glue one coconut on the first tree and two coconuts on the second tree and etc.

Buy a coconut --- drill a hole in the eyes. Let everyone taste the milk. Make a chart showing who liked and who didn't like the juice. ----crack open the coconut with a hammer and taste the coconut meat. Make another chart. Buy two and experiment with one at home.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    http://kizclub.com/storypatterns2.html
    (story cards in color or black and white)

http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/go/wil/Chicka_Lesson.pdf
    (letter cutouts to use as puppets/tree-making instructions

7. AllysonKinder

AllysonKinder Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

I just did this unit - I made a tree on brown paper, let the students paste leaves (pre cut) on the top then use stamps and stamps pads to stamp letters going up the tree. Glue on brown pom poms or circles for coconuts.

Chicka sand snacks - vanilla pudding cups with ground up vanilla wafers on top (looks like sand)

I got ABC foam shapes from Oriental trading and we strung them to make Chicka necklaces.

Chicka shaker bottles - small water bottles, I got ABC stickers and let them stick them to the bottle, you can make a grass hula skirt from green construction paper fringed at the bottom. I filled them with beans or cut up mardi gras beads. They liked to make noise with these! I retold the story and every time I said "Chicka Chicka " they could shake their bottles.

Here are a few links too:

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/kellyshouse/preschoolroom/storyextenders/chickachicka.htm

http://www.thevirtualvine.com/ccbb.html

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2006

9. AllysonKinder

AllysonKinder Rookie

Nov 12, 2006

There's also a book called Chicka Chicka 1-2-3 with numbers - you could extend this to math as well.

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 12, 2006

A few years ago I bought the blow up plam tree from Oriental Trading. I use that when I read it. The 2nd time I read it I give letters and when I say their letters they go and stick it on. They love it!

11. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

12. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Nov 17, 2006

The kids designed their own coconut tree and then used alphabet sponges with paint to stamp their name on their tree. Great for name recognition and totally cute!

13. Xtine

Xtine Companion