Cheesy things teachers do -- help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Sep 3, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 3, 2006

My sons 1st grade teacher did some really cheesy things but the kids LOOOOVED it. I wanted to incorporate them into my class, but I can't remember them.

Example:

If the kids did something really well she would:

spray ficticious cleaner into the air and say, "Faaaantastic!" while doing cleaning motions in the air (I know, corny but hey they loved it)

Does anyone know of any others? She had a bunch and neither my son nor I can remember them. How do you google this one? Ha!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2006

4. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 3, 2006

YESSSSSS!!!!!! Thank you soooooo much!

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 3, 2006

These are great. I am going to incorporate them into my classroom as well. Thanks.

Jenglish

6. KIF

KIF Companion

Sep 3, 2006

I use some of these cheesy things with my 5th graders.....I crack up at how much they love them to. I did a "firecracker" clap for them and they all got into it. I also cracked up when I let out a "kiss your brain" and the 5th grade boy actually did it. I used to teach 1st and moved to 5th.....I just HAD to bring some of that stuff with me! My class last year would have thought it was too immature for them, but this year is totally different!

7. peyton1

peyton1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

Those "cute" little sayings are celebrations from Great Expectations. Great Expectations is a group out of Oklahoma. I think you can find more info if you google Great Expectations.

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 3, 2006

Be careful with the cheese. Too much and even the little kids will start to laugh at you.

I was never a cheese fan. I'm still not, but I realize that many people are and if it works for them, then great. But please keep an eye on your audience and if they are rolling THEIR eyes, give it a rest.

9. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 3, 2006

I say let the kids be kids...you might have one roll eyes...but still, when you get down to it...they love it too. I do a silent yell. My 3rd graders LOVE this!!! I also have them come up on their birthdays and 'direct' the singing of 'Happy Birthday'...I stand behind the child and move their arms for them...they LOVE it too!!!

I think we get so caught up in whether our kids 'like' us that we just forget to have fun with them...and that is all it is...having fun and having 'inside' jokes to share.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 3, 2006

Cute ideas! Thanks!

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Sep 4, 2006

Round of applause: clap as you move hands in a circle
    Standing OVation: have the kids stand up and make an O with their arms over their heads.
    Do a Cha-cha-cha dance in short sequence with the kids.
    Elvis---feet spread out arms holding a guitar and a "thanks you. thank you very much."
    Roller coaster clap: its more a weeeee! thank a clap as your arms go up and down a rollercoaster hill. then arms go up in the air and shake.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 4, 2006

I have my students chant every once in a while. Last week, they read, "YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE PASSION!!" in writing class about three times.

13. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Sep 5, 2006

Yes, please...a little cheese makes the class so much more interesting and helps the kid remember.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2006

I also used little cheese as rewards for good behvior...I would "toss them a kiss" a choc. one.

I don't know how it started around St.Paddy's day I joked that we were going to Riverdance in the hall, so when we had a silly moment we would all push in our chairs and Riverdance (arms out & feet going crazy) even the boys did it!!! It was pretty funny!!! I had 1st graders.

15. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 5, 2006

lol that sounds like the cutest thing ever!!
    Did the kids know what Riverdance was? I don't think my kids would have ever heard of it before!

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 6, 2006

I taught secondary and now college, bear in mind. I think maybe the cheese is best used down in the lower grades. Although I must confess that I am impressed by the Riverdance thing.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2006

My previous class would run around singing, "We did it...we did it...we really, really did it!" I never thought of it as a "chant" or anything out of the ordinary, but I guess my classroom is spontaneous all of the time. I'm not sure about this new group I have...hard to explain what is going through their heads...I'm beginning to wonder...so I do a lot of just standing and looking at them in bewilderment.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 6, 2006

I've always been a fan of silent cheers (sign language... raise your hands up, palms out, and shake), a "standing ovation," (stand up and put your hands over your head in an O-shape), and "baby cheer" (2 fingers)

19. stephsanch

stephsanch Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

Aside from the things mentioned, I also like to use cheesy things for students to say to give immediate feedback. For example, if we are correcting homework, rather than me give the answers, I choose a student to give an answer. If they got the right answer, the whole class cheers "You got it dude!!!!!". If they got it wrong, the whole class makes and X with their arms and makes the sound like on Family Feud. They LOVE doing it! This forces the students to listen for their answer and is way more fun then me just reading the answers.

20. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

To get their attention:

I say 'Hasta la vista' (think Arnie/terminator)
    they say 'baaaby' and stand still/silent.

It works!!

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2006

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Now THAT is hilarious!:D

22. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2006

LOL, you guys have great ideas. Although, I can't imagine myself sounding like the Terminator infront of students... :)

23. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I have found that my kids remember things more when I am a nerd! I sometimes say things in an 'English' accent. Just the change in voice makes them sit up straighter and smile of course!! :)