Checkmarks and X's

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Anyalee, May 12, 2007.

1. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 12, 2007

Does a check mark mean right or wrong to you? The kids in my class get really confused when I put a checkmark next to the things that are right and X next to the things that are wrong. This is weird to me because my teachers always did it this way....:p

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 12, 2007

Generally check marks have meant an incorrect answer to me. My students like to see stars next to correct answers.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

Correct--checkmark
    Incorrect--X or circle around incorrect response.

(I find it so interesting that there are places where a checkmark means incorrect--I love to learn something new!)

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 12, 2007

Checkmark means wrong to me. :) On spelling tests, I put a smiley next to the right answers, check next to the wrong ones. In math I circle the wrong answers.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 12, 2007

Check marks mean wrong.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 12, 2007

Checkmark or x's means wrong to me. When I correct, I either use checkmark or x's and leave the correct ones blank. I think if you make stars and checkmarks/x's, the paper looks cluttered and hard to read.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

Looks like I am in a definite minority here!

9. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

May 12, 2007

Checkmarks mean correct to me - hence the check, check plus, check minus system. I put a single line through wrong answers and nothing next to correct answers. But a check at the top of an assignment basically means "ok."

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 12, 2007

Checks definetely means correct here. Most teachers In my school and in my district use check for correct and x for wrong

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 12, 2007

It means correct to me also. We use checks and x too.

12. teachall

teachall Rookie

May 12, 2007

checkmarks mean correct and I circle incorrect responses. I was told 8 years ago that people were moving away from X's because it was very harsh for the students to see.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2007

Glad to see I'm not alone in my checkmarks for correct--I circle incorrect answers not to protect anyone's feelings, but so that the students can clearly see where they need to make corrections. If they haven't answered a question, I put a line through the circle so that an answer can't "magically" appear there when they make corrections.

14. teachall

teachall Rookie

May 13, 2007

I also put a line through where there is not answer so they will not write it in. I had a little girl my first year in first grade go and put the answers in the blanks that I circled. It only took once and I made sure that never happened again.:)

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 13, 2007

Always!!!

And I've been known to Xerox the test of someone I suspected would change the answers. Then when they claim I've misgraded the test, both copies go to the dean.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 13, 2007

In my class I circle incorrect answers- when kids fix them I put a 'K' next to the circle so now it's OK. Check marks- can be either right or wrong- Its a matter of clearly explaining your marking system to parents and students. Funny though, when my second graders check their own work, they put a chekc for the right ones even though I don't use checks at all. I'm not sure why your students would be confused, Anyalee, it you are consistent with your marking system and have clearly explained it???

17. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

May 13, 2007

"C" and slashes

I am student teaching and I have been using "C" for correct and slashes for incorrect with my fourth graders, I also write in the correct answers on test as per the Master Teacher's request.

In the 1/2 combo class I was in we circle wrong answers, and write "try again", sometimes in their grammar workbooks we will write what page to find the correct answer as well.

I seem to remember in school, that check marks have been used for incorrect as well as correct.

I know that I don't like the "X" at all.

I guess whatever you use you have to explain...and I think the grade makes a big difference in what you choose.

18. Dntrnw/scissors

Dntrnw/scissors Rookie

May 13, 2007

I circle incorrect answers.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 13, 2007

My son's grades come back with an "I" and "O" on them and I can tell you that I have to pause every time and remember what they mean even this late in the year.

20. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 13, 2007

I only mark incorrect answers and I use an X for that. My grading scale uses check marks:

Scale:
    Star
    check +
    check
    check -
    (of course I use the check symbol) This is for first grade and and the star and check grades I guess are equivalent to A,B,C,D.

21. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 13, 2007

I always write the correct answer in for multiple chocie, fill-in, and matching questions, so that they can't claim that I graded it wrong. For short answes and essays I always write the things they forgot so they can't claim that they wrote it and I didn't see it and if they skipped it completely I draw a line throught it.

22. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

May 14, 2007

By check mark, I gather you mean a tick? As in a small line going diagonally downwards, then upwards diagonally and longer? I am boggled to hear some people use that to mark work as incorrect - I have never, ever seen or heard of this!

I use crosses or circles for incorrect work, depending on the context (a spelling mistake in writing would be circled, a number wrong in a larger equation would be circled, but in a spelling test or number test a wrong answer would get a cross). But a tick has only ever meant correct. Sometimes I even give two ticks! :)

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 14, 2007

I did this too!!! Plus if we did something together I had them write DT on top so the parents knew we did it together!!!

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 14, 2007

Well, because of this thread, while grading my kinders math papers, I was unable to use the checkmark for the incorrect answers. I circle the incorrect ones. Thanks :rolleyes:

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 14, 2007

This is probably a stupid question, but I've only taught kinder. What does DT mean.

26. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 14, 2007

My guess is DT = "Did Together"

I don't grade papers right now, but I remember both when I was growing up. Some teachers would check (or tick, Mrs LC) correct answers and some would use that mark to mean incorrect... when they checked the right ones, they'd usually X the wrong ones... Sometimes they'd circle the incorrect ones. I think as long as you've clearly explained it, you can effectively use whatever system works for you. If they're REALLY lost, what about making a poster for your wall with your grading marks? You could put what a right answer gets, a wrong answer gets, what the grade means, etc.

When we're doing "quick check" assessments with our kids (name these letters/numbers/colors/shapes, etc), we use a check to mean they got it right, otherwise we write the answer they gave us.

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 14, 2007

Well, here's something interesting/confusing. In our district, the X means they've mastered a concept. So, some teachers will even use the X on homework packs if it was completed correctly.

28. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 15, 2007

The reason they are confused in this case is because their math teacher uses check marks to mean the answers are incorrect. They get more corrected homework back from him- so they associate check with incorrect in my class, too.

29. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

May 15, 2007

you aren't alone!

I put X's through wrong, and NA in the blank spots (means no answer)

to me, a check mark means correct, or I use them at the top of the paper for complete and 100%.

I think just make it clear from the beginning of the year.....

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 15, 2007

You are correct!!! This way the parent's don't think the students turned genius or got the concept out of the blue when the answers are all correct!!

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2007

A teacher I worked with a few years ago had a stamp with the outline of a hand on it. Whenever a child needed a "hand" with a piece of work, it got the hand stamp on it.

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 15, 2007

That's cute!!! We would start a unit of math or something & do the page together...this way I didn't have to waste time running around putting something on it. Plus, this kids loved the fact they got to do it. I would even let them write with crayon or something like that!!!

33. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 15, 2007

Today I asked my kids what they have seen from their teachers. None of my kids have seen a check to mean wrong, but they have seen circles, slashes, and X's to use as wrong marks. To mark something write they said that they've seen teachers use a check mark, "C", or just leave it alone.

34. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

May 15, 2007

Wow... now I'm confused!! I don't know what I'd do if I had to move. :D

I'm with Mrs. C - I use check marks for correct (the mark that looks like a lopsided "v"). I will either put an "x" beside an incorrect answer or circle incorrect answers; I make a check mark (most of the time in a different coloured pen) when I'm marking their corrections.

I will also use a BIG letter "C" in the middle of the page if their work is neatly done, i.e. printing or cursive

It's nice to see that marking is as diverse as the population! :p

35. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 16, 2007

I am humbled....
    I have always seen checks mean correct, and on tests x's mean wrong, though if you're trying to mark things on a chart I suppose x works. I always assumed that's how it works everywhere...

I do try not to put x's all over the papers, though; I think it's too hard on the kids to hear "wrong! wrong! wrong!" I use pens in friendly colors (not red) and circle things that need attention. But I am very free with checks! Even if a paper is 100% correct, each answer gets a check!

36. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 16, 2007

I like using checks for correct too. It shows students it was checked. Again, I am used to the check plus, check, check minus system.

I only use Xs for incorrect answers on bubble-in multiple choice exam answer sheets, but for most write-in answers, I circle and/or add comments for what was missing.

37. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 17, 2007

My kids have decided that I should use a star instead of a check, because in Wyoming it apparently means wrong! X's still me no, but they'd like to see stars for correct, because they like them better anyway! I even asked my husband, a Wyoming native- and he said of course checkmarks mean wrong. I grew up in Texas and still find it hard to believe that!

38. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

May 17, 2007

I don't mark correct answers. That would have confused the heck out of me as a student. I only mark the ones that are incorrect, and I generally just put a slash through the number.

39. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 17, 2007

I have to mark them sometimes, because when there is only one answer- like on warmups- they don't know if I even looked at it if it is right and I don't put a mark.

40. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 17, 2007

The stars would confuse me worse... I think of a star as "needs attention." Like an asterisk. I usually circle things that need correction, but if I would use a star for anything it would probably be that. OTOH, one could use a star to mean extra good, also, as in an essay question. As if to say "look at that! it was great!"

But there is one very simple reason why stars never became the global symbol of correctness while checks (almost) have: a check requires one simple penstroke. Two little lines. Tick, tick, tick and the whole page is marked. A star is more complex.

As for not marking right answers at all, I don't like that for two reasons. First, how do you keep track of which you've checked/the students won't know you checked it. Second, I think it is very negative to only give attention to wrong answers. I think checking says, "Sure, you got some wrong -- but look how many were right!"

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 18, 2007

I think in first grade because we have a group of kids that are behind in literacy and it is a struggle, having too many marks on the page is too overwhelming even if some of it is positive. So, a nice word at the top of the page is used instead of checking each correct problem.