Checking In

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mariecurie, May 5, 2016.

1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

May 5, 2016

A student put a thumb tack on my chair this afternoon.

So, how was your day?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 5, 2016

Ugh. Did you actually sit on it, or did you catch it?

So far I have had just one kid show up in a ginormous sombrero for Cinco de Mayo...but he did take it off without me asking, so I can't really complain!

Backroads likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 5, 2016

One kid locked himself in the bathroom.

Mean girl's mom flipped out that no one likes her poor sweet angel.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 5, 2016

Made a few billion calls/emails home today. I'll have a full inbox waiting for me in the morning.

Did all I could to maintain my cool in one period today. Only to have one smart a$$ kid say someone must have pi$$ed in my cornflakes this morning. No, you jerk, you and your friends are acting like animals and I'm actually doing a damn fine job of not losing it with you all.

But one other class was awesome and their behavior outweighed the first.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 5, 2016

Today for me was good. I got to sit back and let the counselors teach all day. They were doing a presentation about what kids should expect in High School. We usually switch between activities 3-4 times in our 50 minute period, many of which involve getting up and moving around. Today, they had to sit quietly all 50 minutes, and I could literally watch their bums getting sore. Well, that's one thing to expect in High School (I remember 90 minute lectures in most of my classes). I hope they're a little more grateful for the fun activities we do every day (they often gripe that they never get to just put their heads down on their desks and not think). LOL.

Yesterday was my Open House though, and I worked from 6am to 8pm, part of which included managing two separate groups at once for a very hectic spray-paint/writing activity, so I'm glad for the break.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 5, 2016

We had a BMX assembly this morning, where I laid on the ground and let the bikers jump over me. This assembly was followed by the principal getting duck taped to a wall and sprayed with silly string. Both were reward assemblies. Needless to say, my class was wired the rest of the day!

otterpop and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 6, 2016

Yeah, it seems like lots of kids are acting like animals lately. "Who pissed in your cornflakes" must be a line the student learned from his parents.

janlee likes this.
  9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 6, 2016

Just read a quote in a news story yesterday saying "behavior in schools nationally is getting worse and no one seems to know why."

Uh, I know why.

It's this mentality:
    <<Mean girl's mom flipped out that no one likes her poor sweet angel.>>

I've had so many conversations with parents this year that are just soaked in denial.

Yes ma'am, I decided as the teacher of the year in my state for my subject to teach all my other kids this topic and purposefully ignore yours. You're right. His failure is not at all the fault of you or your lack of parenting skills.

Ugh.

Backroads and Peregrin5 like this.
  10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 6, 2016

I thought it was cheerios. ;)

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 6, 2016

Well, me too but I was just quoting the other poster LOL

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 6, 2016

Once again, I had a parent sound surprised that yes, my school DOES send out report cards. He was also surprised to find out his daughter WAS NOT telling the truth about passing all of her classes. :dizzy:

Backroads, Peregrin5 and otterpop like this.
  13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 6, 2016

No one knows why? They haven't asked teachers, that must be why!
    Here are a few off the top of my head:
    1) Kids being raised with an iPad/iPhone/tablet/phablet/whatever in hand every moment practically from birth
    2) Kids being raised by the TV instead of their parents (my own parents admitted to being guilty of this with my 1/2 brother, 15 years younger than me...they were "too busy" to make him go out and play?)
    3) Kids raised on sugar in everything, and not just snacks...sugar everywhere as a result of the low-fat trend in the 90's/early 2000's
    4) Parents afraid to discipline their kids, preferring to bribe them or act like a peer/friend
    5) Communities breaking down, more families moving away from each other due to economic forces -- lost jobs, lost homes, etc
    6) Teachers in general being viewed with less respect, treated like cogs in a factory machine wheel
    7) A general educational culture in which student failure is automatically assumed to be a result of school failure, or more likely teacher failure
    I could go on...

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 6, 2016

Ooooh, this is a good one that I haven't heard before....makes sense.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 6, 2016

This crazy Mother told me her son did poorly simply because of my poor teaching skills. This is the same kid who's Mother refuses to get him properly evaluated because there IS something different about his learning abilities. *sigh*

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 6, 2016

All so true!

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 6, 2016

Get a load of this conversation with a parent today regarding tardies.

Me: I notice that your son has 29 tardies and they're all within 10 minutes of school starting.

Parent: I drop him off on time. He goes to the cafeteria for breakfast, so I'm not responsible for what he does once he gets out of the car.

Me: I understand. But he's not getting to class on time. Can you drop him off a few minutes earlier and possibly talk to him about picking up the pace in the cafeteria?

Parent: Um, why can't YOU be in the cafeteria hurrying up the kids in the morning? Isn't that what you get paid for? Aren't you a public servant?

Me: Well, our meeting is over. Can you sign here so I have proof that we met?

Parent: Nope! I'm not signing nothin'! (storms out of office).

Backroads likes this.
  18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 6, 2016

There was a time that this conversation would have been a shock. Now it's the norm. Too bad the media and the public does not understand this shift has happened.

otterpop likes this.
  19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 6, 2016

Yep. I have typically got the brunt of the "difficult" kids over the years. Teachers will say things like "hows it going with so and so", "how are you making it" blah blah blah. My response is all the same, the kids are never the problem, I like the kids, its the parents that stress my out.

20. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 7, 2016

God Bless our Teachers!

21. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 7, 2016

omgosh!

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 7, 2016

I wouldn't blame technology or TV. I would put all of the blame on the parents, and their choices to use technology as the primary parent rather than themselves. But plenty of kids can have rotten behavior even without technology.

I've dealt with so many parents that are more pre-occupied with defending their poor child from their mean evil teacher than realizing that their child is a brat and hasn't been taught the proper way to behave, and when he misbehaves isn't held accountable at home, and in fact is often encouraged at home to ignore what teachers say or disrespect them.

I walked into a conversation between a parent and my student where they dad was telling his kid, that I don't even deserve respect (because I'm gay), and that he shouldn't worry about getting in trouble in my class. This was after the parent sent me a nasty email that I detailed in a previous thread. The father is a Christian conservative, football loving, Trump supporting, immigrant-hating idiot. Needless to say, the child entered my class as a bully, ignorant, and disrespectful, particularly to my Muslim, Hispanic, female, and LGBT students.

However after working with him, and despite his fathers' best efforts, the child is maturing, learning to work with others who are different than him, and learning to broaden his worldview outside of his parents' narrow field of vision and has stated that I am one of his favorite teachers.

In addition, I've dealt with parents who refuse to get their kids the help they need (by getting their kid tested, making sure they're setup with free lunch, etc.) because it's too inconvenient for them.

Getting breakfasts, and candy this week for teacher appreciation week is nice and all, but if you want to know the best way to appreciate your kids' teachers? Be better parents.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    FourSquare and Backroads like this.
  23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 8, 2016

Yikes! I hate it when parents have to pick apart the personal non-related views of the teacher.

I had a kid my second year of teaching, in 1st grade, who was told by her parents she didn't have to listen to me because I am LDS. In fact, these digged and delved and asked questions to learn the religious beliefs of every teacher in each grade and apparently (no longer at this school) managed to instruct her kids' behavior based on each teacher's religious views.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 8, 2016

That is super annoying and unnecessary. Each teacher has a right to live their personal life as they please, as they are people too. As long as they are not bringing it into the classroom, and they are only advocating respect for all people, parents need to realize that their duty is to teach their kids to respect their teachers and other elders.

Backroads likes this.
  25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 8, 2016

One of my kids turned in this haiku when he was mad at me:

"You are an asshole.
    You are an asshole so much.
    Chinga tu madre."

We go until the end of June!

Backroads likes this.
  26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 8, 2016

This made my day, thank you.
    In case you don't speak "spoiled little snot", let me translate it for you.
    Stop having higher expectations of me than any of my family members.
    Stop sending covert and overt messages that I am a valued member of this class.
    Leave me alone, I know I can do it, I don't WANT to put in the effort.

27. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 8, 2016

The 6th grade administrator decided that, because certain behaviors have gotten so poor since returning from spring break, she was going to have behavior re-set meetings with the 2 6th grade teams. When she met with my team she told the kids that our team has twice as many referrals as the other team and twice as many students already referred for summer school as the other team. One of the kids piped up that the other side has better teachers. That did NOT go over well with the administrator or end well for said student. Heh. But yeah, there's just a total lack of accepting responsibility from a lot of our kids and/or their parents. Pretty disheartening some days.

28. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 9, 2016

This definitely should have been on my list: Seeing and hearing hate-speech rewarded with social and political success. The behavior and rhetoric coming from certain political figures currently is setting a shameful example for our students, some of whom will look to these individuals as "models" to emulate. Thankfully, the majority of my students see through it and see it for what it is. Currently, our society is essentially rewarding adults for bullying behavior that we would (should) never allow from our students!

MrsC, Backroads and Peregrin5 like this.
  29. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 9, 2016

This makes me giggle. If you look at how one party talks about power, gaining and losing it, how many "people" we need to confront, just listen to their words and you realize the way we teach kids to behave in elementary school is just the opposite of how we want them approaching differences as a country.

ms.irene likes this.
  30. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 11, 2016

Some kids really need a good ear pulling!

I so agree! Sometimes we're parenting the parents and teaching them how to be better humans than their own children so they can attempt to start being better parents.