Checking e-mail on the weekend....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lovebeingteach, Apr 29, 2012.

1. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Apr 29, 2012

I do it every Sunday and then I am totally overwhelmed all night long about the stuff that is coming up/stuff I have to get done/etc. But, I feel like if I do not check it then I will be unprepared on Monday and even more stressed. I sleep 20-30 minutes a night on Sunday's if I am lucky. This year is killing me emotionally. I love my job, but stressful is not the word. There are always so many things to do at once.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2012

Plan you lessons for the upcoming week...the emails will be there tomorrow.

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 29, 2012

Temporarily ignore any emails that aren't from students. Respond to the reasonable ones, and then put everything else off until tomorrow to get more pressing matters attended to.

At least that's what I do.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2012

If checking email stresses you out, don't do it. Like czacza said, those emails will all be there when you get to school. Deal with them then.

I think that many teachers fall into the trap of believing that if they do more work on their off time, it will lighten their load during the school day. The fact is that when it comes to teaching, there is always something that needs to be done. Always. Because of that, it's just better if you find a way to let school stuff go when you're not at school. If you must work during your off time, do only the things that will truly make your school day easier, like planning. The rest can wait. You need time to devote to yourself and your well being, to do the things that make you feel relaxed and not stressed. For me it's reading a book and playing around on Facebook. If you don't have those stress-reducing outlets, your work will suffer. All the things you do outside the school day won't matter one bit because you won't be a better teacher if you're stressed.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

I only check my e-mail over the weekend if I am hoping for good news some kind. OR if I am expecting a parent to contact me.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2012

If I'm in some kind of stressful situation at work or just feeling overwhelmed with a lot to do, I make a point of not checking my e-mail on the weekend. I find it can often make me more stressed out! Usually though, Sundays is just kind of a "work day" for me. I do some school work, clean, do laundry, grocery shop, etc. I find that among my coworkers there are the the people that like to spends hours after school every day and then not touch anything on the weekend, and then those that work a day on the weekend so that they can have free time during the week. I fall into the latter group. Unless I have something super special planned (which is pretty rare for a sunday afternoon), I'd rather work then and have a few hours of free time each week night.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

I do check my school email over the weekend, but almost never respond.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2012

Between leaving school on Friday and Monday morning, who is emailing you?? Maybe you could get to school a bit earlier on Mondays so you could take care of a few things and you don't have to worry about them on Sunday.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2012

I rarely ever check my emails on the weekend. Why in the world are you only sleeping 20-30 minutes on Sunday???? Sleep is very important, so if you need to rearrange something in your schedule to get your 6-8 hours of sleep, then you need to do that for your own health.

11. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 30, 2012

I am an obsessive email checker. The anxiety of wondering what's in the email would be worse for me than the hassle of keeping up to date on it. I try to keep my inbox <10. I electronically file emails I might need down the road.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2012

I do check my email several times a day. Not sure why though.

I give my personal email to all of the parents of my students. They all have computers. I email them. I know they get it. They hardly ever email me back.

When I do get an email from a parent, it's usually to tell me something I need to know about their child.

I have one parent this year who maybe emails me every other day. Usually to tell me something I already know, or to ask me if their child is doing OK. He always is. She just has a lot of anxiety about stuff, so it's no big deal.

I just looked at my district email. I get about one email a day that isn't spam. Usually either some mass notification from the DO - most recently from the superintendent inviting everyone to a wine and cheese tasting - and never anything from parents.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 30, 2012

All of my email goes to my phone but in separate inboxes.

I try to ignore things during the weekend unless it's time sensitive. For instance, some teachers were trying to find out where to send a particular student yesterday for today, and added me to the email because they wanted to know if I could take him.

I just quickly responded using my phone (Blackberry's are great) and let them know that we're doing STAR testing so I couldn't. Honestly I get about 1-2 emails regarding work during the weekend anyway. During the week, it's mostly spam as well (yes, from teachers).

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

I try to check over the weekend, but rarely will I respond to anything. If it's stressful, I wouldn't check.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2012

What kind of emails are you getting that keep you from getting more than 20 minutes of sleep Sunday night? I check mine too, because I would rather deal with it then or at least know what I need to deal with in the morning. This weekend, I think I got 5 emails the whole weekend. None of them required immediate action.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 30, 2012

All e-mails go to my phone. I usually will respond very quickly. Particularly, when it's a student e-mail I will respond immediately. I tell my students that they can always reach me by e-mail with questions for assignments.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

Like several others here, I check my school email several times a day. My NHS kids are under instruction to contact me that way, and my Geometry kids know they can email me with a question.

It's rare that a response requires more than a sentence or two, so responding really isn't an issue. It takes less than a minute.

18. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Apr 30, 2012

I made a rule for myself a few years ago (when I was dealing with a stressful parent situation) that I don't check my school email at home. Seriously. Unless there's an unexpected day off from school due to a snowstorm or something or I'm waiting to find out something important from a supervisor. I found that it made a big difference in my stress level, so I've kept to it.

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 30, 2012

I used to be a compulsive email checker as well. However, within the last 2-3 years, I have just learned not do check email on the weekends at all. I check it once before I leave on Friday afternoons and that is it. Doing this has helped me keep things in check so I am not spending so much of my own time doing work related things. Lets be honest, as teachers, we could take plenty of work home every single night of the week...weekends included. As for the sleeping, I used to get "Sunday night anxiety" and I would lay in bed thinking about all the things I had to do during the week...it was madness at times really. So, I started to really make a point of not thinking about work over the weekends and concentrating more on me instead. This has helped. It is all about balance.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 30, 2012

I leave my email program (Outlook) open throughout the entire day. Whenever I get an email, a bell tone goes off. If I'm not busy teaching, I'll check the email. Otherwise, I check it whenever I have a minute. I receive between 20-35 emails each week. Not sure if that's below average, average, or more than normal for teachers in other districts.

21. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Apr 30, 2012

I check my email frequently throughout the school day, but I NEVER check my work email at home. My weekend is my time to relax and spend time with my family. The emails can wait until Monday.

22. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Apr 30, 2012

I have a severe sleeping problem....I have had it all of my life. I can't sleep at night, or during the day, or mid-day. It's terrible. I crash every few days and will literally sleep from the time I get home until the next day, but most days/nights I can't sleep at all. My mom says I was even like this as a baby. (lucky her!)

23. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Apr 30, 2012

If I go home before 5 on Friday (usually because I decide I would rather take a stack of work home instead of staying to finish) I will check my e-mail once Saturday afternoon. Other than that, no! I assume that responding to e-mails promptly means during business hours.

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 1, 2012

I check my mail all of the time ... I rarely receive any pressing emails that ruin my weekend ... in fact, not sure I have ever thought "oh, don't check your mail, you may not like what you find."

25. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 1, 2012

I never check my school email at home. I'm very much a "leave it in the classroom" type.

26. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 1, 2012

I have my email sent to my phone in a separate inbox. I'll check but never respond until Monday unless it's something urgent. The only time that happened was when it was a mass email with an anxious parent wanting to meet with me and her child's two ed therapists. There were so many emails back and forth between them that if I hadn't stepped in there would have been a huge meeting at 7:30 Monday morning! I simply made a point that I could not prepare or choose an appropriate time until I had my paperwork and schedule in front of me...Monday.