Cheating

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scienceteach82, Nov 7, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

A student just came to me and told me someone who sits right next to him cheats on quizzes and tests I give. I walk around checking on things...but sometimes need to set stuff up (science lab)...
    We have another quiz next class. I'll keep a better eye out. Since this already happened though...what should/can I do?

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2008

Set up different test forms with different questions, slightly different numbers (or the same numbers standing for different values), randomize question order, etc.

4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

I agree...that's what I do, too. I make sure the tests look the same from a distance of a desk away, just change a number or a sign so it's not noticeable, and still is a fair test. And don't tell the students you are doing it, just do it. If he isn't cheating, you'll find it out this way. If he is, you'll find it out this way, too!

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

just caught him cheating on quiz!
    kid behind him had the study guide sheet in a binder with one of those clear covers...and he kept trying to look at it...binder was on the floor

6. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

Note to dean, note to parents, zero on test, and seat all by himself next time!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

And the kid with the binder on the floor? Does he face any consequences?

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

yes...he was looking too

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2008

IMO, he shouldn't face any actual consequences, though a stern talking-to about being careful and noting that you're going to keep an eye on him may be in order.

Sure, it's possible -- even likely -- it was a collusive act. Still, you can't be certain it was, and you should have procedures to prevent this anyway.

Agreed with CindyBlue on the consequences for the cheater. Make them seem as bad as possible.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

The binder on the floor? Just an anecdote to consider ...

When I was in undergrad I went to a classroom to take a test. I had my notes out before the test, the instructor gave us time for one final review. For some reason when I was handed the test, I put my notes in my lap (not in a book bag) and started taking the test. I had NO idea I had my notes in my lap until the teacher came by my desk and asked me to put them away. I about DIED. I could not believe I did this and I knew she thought I had done it on purpose to cheat. I truly, really did not intend to cheat, I didn't even know my notes were there. I tried to explain after the test (luckily she didn't take it away from me) but I thought, for the rest of the year, she saw me as a cheater. I hated that it happened.