Cheating stories

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2007

Another thread got me thinking...What are some of your favorite "dumb kid" stories concerning cheating?

I remember a Senior named Rob. I was the first proctor during his History final exam. I had taught Rob twice, and caught him cheating in Precalculus once that year. He basically bided his time for the first hour (of 3) waiting for proctor number two. Just his luck, it was another teacher with a similar philosphy... I clued her in, she watched Rob like a hawk, and he played the waiting game again.

Proctor #3 showed up, and Rob nearly had a heart attack. As luck would have it, it was the dean-- he wasn't likely to cheat much during that hour either. (particularly with knowledge of the game Rob was playing.) At this point, his scantron was pretty much empty and he had no essays done. And our 3 hour exams are three hour exams!!!! He gave up, started writing like a madman, and didn't finish the test.

Poor Rob:p

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 19, 2007

One of my little first graders cheated on a spelling test She had the words written on a tiny piece of paper and I saw her unfold it. I called her dad and didn't believe me at all!

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 19, 2007

I too had a first grader who cheated on a spelling test. Only she wasn't smart enough to fold the paper up. She had the whole list opened her lap! First time, we had a talk and a retake. It happened a second time so she got a zero and a note home as we had discussed. She and Mommy were in bright and early the next morning. Mommy says, "Little Suzy has something to tell you." I got ready for the big apology, and little Suzy says, "I wasn't looking at the words, the list fell out of my desk and onto my lap." And mommy bought it, hook, line and sinker.

5. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 19, 2007

Well, this isn't really cheating...more like a major lie from a 7yr old in my class. I was giving snack to the kids that forgot it.(Just some goldfish) This kid is also known for his sneakiness and lying all the time. Told me his mom was pregnant...so I said something and made a complete fool out of myself. Anyway, back to the story...so the little boy came up to me and said he had forgotten his snack. I knew that he was probably lying. So I walked over to his cubby to check his bookbag and coat. There was a lunchbox with just a spoon and nothing else? Checking all the zippers and all....NOTHING. So I thought to myself I am being way to mean! So I told him to go get a plate. Then I here one of the girls go..."I just found applesauce underneath the rug." So I walk over to the boy and he stares at me...while I ask him if that was his. Little boy: Well, um um no yes no I mean yes. But I want the goldfish. Me: That makes me very upset that you lied to me. I was being nice and giving you snack. Little boy: Can I have goldfish? Me:

He just didn't get the picture...who would think little kids can lie like that!

6. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

May 19, 2007

This year there was not 1 but 2 8th grade boys who plagiarized their Saint reports for confirmation, I can't believe they thought they wouldn't get caught.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 19, 2007

My favourite--2 grade 8 girls cheating on a math test by basically sharing answers back and forth. The kicker--their mark (on identical tests handed in) was 49%! Even working together, they couldn't pass!

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

May 19, 2007

TOO FUNNY!

I had a second grader who after the spelling test held up his cheat sheet and said to the whole class, "I KNOOOOOW I get them all right because I had the answers right here!" sigh..............:p

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 19, 2007

Students had to write a short biography over someone who they consider a legend. I had a brilliant paper about Adolph Rupp, a former Kentucky basketball coach. It was so good, infact, I told the student that he would probably be better off skipping seventh and eighth grade language arts and start on high school level work. Anyway, long story short, I pulled out the EXACT paper from my desk, which I found online in 30 seconds flat. The paper was scholarship-winning, and here this sixth grade kid tried to pull it off as his! :(

I discovered two excellent students cheating on their vocabulary test. Again, long story short, I had the class trade and grade, but I always scan over the papers myself when I have them to do this. It was VERY obvious they both cheated for each other by erasing the wrong answers and writing in the letter to the correct choice. Only problem is, they in no way tried to simulate the other's handwriting, used a different type of pencil, and forgot to change where they also circled the letter...so there was conflicting answers. I immediately developed a new system of grading, but how dumb can two really smart girls be!?

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 19, 2007

I had two first graders last year who cheated on a spelling test. One of the girls didn't know how to spell it so the other one did it for her...as I was walking around giving the test. The girl who wrote the words realized she was in the wrong but the other one...no clue. She said she didn't know you couldn't do that. I had only explained the "rules" to test taking about 94 times by then. Not only that...it was a test. :rolleyes:

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 20, 2007

We had two 8th grade boys who copied answers from a stolen teacher's book. They were so stupid, they wrote "answers will vary" for some of the questions. Their mothers came to school all indignant, stating that "answers will vary" WAS the correct answer because the teacher's book (the STOLEN teacher's book, remember) said so.

Sometimes I'm not sure which I loathe more: liars or stupid people. Of course, often they are one and the same. Sigh.

12. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

May 20, 2007

That is WAY too funny!!! :D

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 20, 2007

I am shocked at the amount of 1st grade stories on here... I always thought the little ones were too naive and inexperienced to try it... :(

In 3rd grade... we caught a student with the multiplication table from the back of a composition notebook cut out, in the palm of her hand... during a math drill. She said she had no idea what it was and how it got on her lap. :rolleyes:

OTOH, I have always been a very good writer with high vocabulary and was unjustly accused of plagiarism several times (mostly in middle school). So I am very cautious about these things. Often, if I see for instance that a kid who usually gets low marks suddenly gets 98 or something, I will let her get away with it once or twice and let her live with her conscience. By the time it becomes a real problem, I can usually be pretty certain what happened -- having had the chance to observe, etc.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2007

I cut and pasted these from that other thread:

My favorite cheating story: As a Catholic school, we have Mass for the entire student body once a month. One day, one of the kids went up to receive Communion and outstretched his hands... and exposed the notes written there to the teacher distritbuting Communion.

Shortly after mass he was invited to see the dean.

Another teacher walked through the courtyard during finals to see an open notebook on top of the bushes outside a classroom. You guessed it: the student wasn't staring out the open window to think; he was staring at a formula sheet.

15. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 20, 2007

Nope, believe me they are not!! :eek:

16. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 20, 2007

Don't worry about making a fool of yourself CLZTEACH. It's the parent who looks foolish for covering for the child. One year I had a major liar. I went back and "reported" everything to the mom my own way. "Oh how is Suzy's little brother?" Mom was puzzled, what do you mean? Well, little Suzy was crying the other day (after she'd been reprimanded for something). I told her she didn't have to cry, I was just trying to help her do the right thing. She said, "I'm not crying because of that, I'm crying because my little brother has cancer." After looking shocked, mom quickly recovered and said, "oh he was just overtired the other day and his face looked drawn. I told my husband he looked like a cancer victim and little Suzy must have overheard." She also had reasons to explain Suzy's imaginary 16-year old brother, the coyote that came right to the front door of their non-existant camp and why Suzy told the class her father had an artificial leg (which he didn't of course.) She explained them all away, but who was the foolish looking one?

17. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 20, 2007

Love that first story. Sounds like something that could have come right out of the "Fighting Sullivans" movie!

18. Mathadore

Mathadore Rookie

May 20, 2007

A student of mine wrote a formula on the palm of her left hand. Then she kept on looking at her hand during the entire test.
    She did not even realize that I wrote that same formula on the board for them to use...

19. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 20, 2007

This is great!

I tell students they can bring a formula card for exams. Students end up not needing it because they wrote out the formulas.

20. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

May 20, 2007

My uncle just told me a great story over the weekend...
    Around 50 years ago, he was a math teacher in an all girls public school. One of the other math teachers, who also taught sewing, looked very upset one day. She explained that she had flunked a girl in sewing class for not showing up to even one class. The student and her mother went down to the superviser with a dress and threw a fit-how can the teacher fail her, look what she can sew! The superviser believed the student over the teacher, and obviously, the teacher was quite upset.
    My uncle asked the teacher for the dress, tore open a seam, and showed the teacher the garment workers union label!

21. Mrs. Toby

Mrs. Toby Rookie

May 21, 2007

I assign reading assignment to my world history classes. They are basically book reports (summaries). I caught over 20 students plagarizing this school year. I think that they forget that I'm only 26 and happen to be more computer savvy than their older teachers. Some of them were just cut and pasted into Word from websites!

22. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

May 21, 2007

We had a student who took several assignments that had been done by others and already graded, erased the names, tore off the part of the paper that bore the grade, and resubmitted them as her own. And did a pretty poor job of erasing, as I was able to read all the names of the original owners, whose handwriting was not only vastly different from the student who filched them, but radically different from each other! To the end, the cheater tearfully insisted that the assignments were her own work, even when she was shown the clearly legible, partially-erased name beneath her own!

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2007

Then there was the guy who photocopied a dissertation that had originally been typed in a unusual typeface, typed a new cover page with his own name substituted for the original author, and submitted it for the Ph.D. What's more, he submitted it to the university and department to which it had originally been submitted - at which the original author was teaching.

24. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 22, 2007

Wow, that's unlucky. Anywhere else he probably would have gotten away with it.

What I don't get is why so many people continue to open their mouths even when confronted with concrete evidence. I mean, to think you can get away with it is one thing, but when the teacher knows, the game is up.... isn't it?

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2007

Unlucky? At the time, everyone in the department, including the office staff, all thought it was epically stupid - I mean, he couldn't even be bothered to make sure that his cover page went with the rest of the document.

26. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 22, 2007

OK, that part is dumb. I meant the fact that he was in the same university, and the author came back to teach there. I wonder if the kid knew... he could probably have found something else...

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2007

The guy whose dissertation he "borrowed" has a very unusual name. And even in those days it wasn't that hard to find out who was teaching where.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 22, 2007

I give a measuring with a ruler test. Because of cheating I made 7 copies of it (six kids sit at a table in shop) I made the tests exactly alike except the answers are just a 1/16 or 3/16 different from the next test. I have received papers with 100% but the answers are from the test of the student's next to them. I sometimes announce 10 min into the test that they all have different tests around the table and you should see the erasers come out

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 22, 2007

I had a kid take a paragraph run it through an online translator into a foreign langauge and then translate it back into English and turn that in thinking that the translation would be perfect, as you know the words were moved around and syntax was wrong etc..

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2007

I did that yesterday... and still had to write on one test "right answer; wrong test."

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 22, 2007

I had a child cheat on a math test. Her mom was upset that the little boy she cheated on did not make an F. I watched him tell her not to look and walk to another seat.

32. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 22, 2007

I had a child erase another child's name off of homework and turn it in as her own...After the other child asked her to turn it in for her. What makes it even more dumb, is that the ORIGINAL owner of the homework is one of my best students who has NEVER not done a homework assignment, and the one who wrote her name on it, didnt do her homework on a regular basis. She also only changed the handwriting on the front page....not the back (not realizing that I don't just look at names, I look at the whole assignment).

Same child, another assignment. Closed book crossword puzzle with information on the native americans. The child next to her was absent so his "we missed you" folder with notes in it was right next to her. She opened the folder and started looking for answers....And denied it. Zero given, mom called!

Same child threw away the graded papers from her Tuesday folder instead of taking them home. Dad called me at school to find out where her papers were....She didn't want to get in trouble for bad grades. (Understand why dad asked me to now send important things home through little brother or sister?)

33. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 22, 2007

The boy was copying off the girl's test to the left of him. What he didn't know was that I suspected him of having done this before, so this time he had a different test than hers (easy in math...just change a negative sign or a number in an unobtrusive place - the tests look exactly alike at a quick glance!) When they got their tests back the next day, she had an A (she never knew he was copying - I watched carefully!) and he had an F. (I'm watching them both, out of the corner of my eye, to see the fun...) He grabs her paper and compares the two sets of answers...both exactly the same, yet his test had an F on it and hers, an A. He begins to storm righteously up to my desk...but half way up, he stops stock-still, and it finally dawns on him what happened. He looked up at me...I just put the sweetest smile on my face that I knew how...he slunk back to his desk...it was great...

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 22, 2007

These are funny! CindyBlue, I would have enjoyed seeing the look on his face the moment he realized what happened. :)

I have a student who takes everything...EVERYTHING! Old Post-It Note? It's his. Bookbag? He's taking it. Pencil? Oh, is it ever his! He started taking people's papers from their desks, erasing their names, and putting his own on them. He was storing his paper goodies under the beanbag in the reading area. :(

We went through is locker and found so much missing stuff. Eyeglasses, a few bookbags, three locks from other lockers...the list goes on. Sweet child, but troubled.

35. AnnaJ

AnnaJ Rookie

May 22, 2007

Im going to fess up to one myself here! When i was in 8th grade we had an English teacher who gave multiple choice tests with one or two short answer questions at the end, which were done on your own paper, stapled to the answer sheet and turned in. I always put an extra sheet of notebook paper under my tests and wrote down the answers in order in teeny letters as i went. i had a study hall the next period and would spend that time making copies of the answers to distribute to my friends... we never got caught because instead of writing down the letters i used a musical staff and filled in quarter notes in the correct letter spot 'A' 'B' 'C' 'D' so that when we were done all we had was a very bad piece of music. The teacher never noticed all the band students in her afternoon classes had musical scores tucked into their writing notebooks during every test. We did that on every test for a whole year and NEVER got caught. I substituted for that same teacher years later and cleared my conscious, i thought she was going to have a stroke from laughing so hard!!!

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 22, 2007

TOO FUNNY!!!

37. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

May 22, 2007

About 4 weeks ago I administered a 5th grade end of story Open Court reading test. As I was correcting, I noticed that a sudent had spelled a word very oddly (I wish I could remeber the word). In addition to several spelling mistakes she did not do well on the test over all. In fact, most of the students scored at about the same mediocer level so one poor test did not really register with me. As I continued to correct I noticed that another student had misspelled the same word. I pulled up the firt test and noticed that the girls had not only misspelled the same word but upon closer inspection I found that the tests were IDENTICAL. I continued to correct and found a third test that was IDENTICAL to the first two

I referred the tests to the principal and was disappointed that the consequences were simply to retake the test apart from each other. I would have called home and had the girls suspended for a day so they learn early the steep consequences of cheating.

38. TeacherT

TeacherT Rookie

May 23, 2007

I sub alot in and found that some teachers leave me a note stating that it is okay for them to do group work if they behave, however I find that one person does all the work and the rest copy. So, for now on I tell them that there is no group work and they beg and whine.

39. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

May 23, 2007

My resolution to group work that becomes a game of "I do half, you do half"? Twice as much work. My students know group work is always at least twice as long as individual assignments.

My cheating story:
    An entire quarter's worth of assignments are due. Kid walks in with nothing in his hand, but manages to turn in all the work. Checking it, I notice that under his sloppily written name is the neatest written work I'd ever seen, hearts dotting the I's and all. Even "I love Billy" doodled on the side of the page. He denied changing the name on the work, even after I confronted him on his apparent love for "Billy".

40. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 23, 2007

I gave two versions of the test & told the 7th graders DONT cheat because I will know when you get all the answers wrong. Lo and behold I a student got a 6% on the test- I was baffled. Why did she score so low? Then I realized she had all the answers to the other version of the test. Duh! She got a zero & failed the quarter.

41. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 23, 2007

You know at times I want to let the cheating go, because life will grade them (I am getting real philosophical here).

I give a measuring test at the start of the quarter after my measuring unit. After about 3 to 4 weeks I have students (who Cheated on the test) asking me about a measurement I say "oh you know that:" they say "I don't under stand it" I look in my grade book and tell them "Well you got a 96% on the measuring test you must have known it then" the look on their face is priceless they can't say "well I cheated" and they can't ask for help since they 'Know' how to do it since they got a 96%" if a kid says "I cheated" I give them another test if they don't well......

That's life, that's what all the people say.
    You're riding high in April,
    Shot down in May
    But I know I'm gonna change that tune,
    When I'm back in school, summer school in June
    .​

Last edited: May 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.