Cheating on returned papers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Miss MA, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Miss MA

Miss MA Rookie

Mar 3, 2013

I handed back a lot of papers Friday and I belive, but cannot prove, that one student, who had not turned in two assignments, erased the name of a friend who sits near him from that kid's two returned papers and showed them to me as if they were his (the original kid) and I had not recorded them. I am certain I did not NOT record two of this young man's papers but I can't find any obvious evidence of tampering. I do think he did tamper with his friend's papers though.

These two papers are worth a minimum of points but the seed has been planted in my mind that some students will find any way they can to get more points.

The real consequence is that a graded test, which I had planned to return to them tomorrow and allow them to keep as a study guide for an upcoming nine-weeks test, I am now not willing to allow them to keep. Many teachers in my building pass back tests and then re-collect them and file them away, ostensibly in case parents come in looking for "proof" of their child's grade. For me, I am now afraid that a student will try to change an answer on his or her graded test and then claim I didn't score it right.

This is so aggravating and annoying.

What are some of your policies with regard to the disposition of graded tests, and what are some of the experiences you have had with kids manipulating or changing information, lying about it, to get a higher score?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2013

I have stopped returning most papers. If a student specifically requests for a paper to be returned, I return it, but other than that, most papers end up in the recycle bin. It's not ideal, and it's not really my preference, but I found that students cheated so much that I felt that I had no other option.

I think that you should toss this one up to admin and ask them what they advise you to do. If it were me, I'd probably tell the student that I had some questions about the ownership of the assignments so I'd be keeping them and he would need to redo them. Obviously this could create a lot of backlash from both the student and his parents, so it's something that you want admin aware of ahead of time if at all possible.

When it comes to tests, absolutely do not return them if you know that students are using them to cheat.

4. physteach

physteach Companion

Mar 4, 2013

Ask the original kid for his work back.

I don't return tests and I tell the kids it is so they won't share answers.

5. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Mar 4, 2013

I agree, ask the kid who you think did the erasing and the kid whose paper you think had his name erased to come see you together, and tell the kid whose name was erased to bring his graded and returned papers with him. If he cannot produce them, then you'll have a pretty good idea what happened. A lot depends on whether the kid who had his name erased was in on it, too - then it's a 0 for cheating for both of them.
    Unless these papers were typed, you can compare handwriting...do you have a handwriting sample of each kid to compare? A friend of mine always has his kids write a one page paper at the beginning of the year, and he keeps it for handwriting comparisons just in case.
    Sometimes, the first time this happens, I give it to the kid with a lecture that I might have not recorded it, but it's never happened before, and if it happens again than I will have cause to doubt his integrity. I also send a note to the AP about what happened FYI.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2013

This is why I require pen. No pencils allowed. No way to change names or answers and blame it on teacher.

Then again, I don't teach math, so it's a bit easier or me to do that.

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Mar 5, 2013

Even math papers can require ink headings.
    Ask for the papers from the 'other' student.
    If you think it will happen again with this student then make a copy of his test before returning it.
    Put a code mark on it in your handwriting... like write the student's initials somewhere on the paper ( hidden or not) or just make a mark at the very end of the student's name.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 6, 2013

I've been having cheating problems as well, so this thread has some great ideas for me to use.

I've had students try to turn in someone else's work and I've simply told them that I wouldn't accept it because it's not their work.

9. Miss MA

Miss MA Rookie

Mar 6, 2013

As a newcomer to high school, I appreciate the ideas, as well. It's too late for me to do anything about these particular papers, but I won't be put in that position again.