Cheating - How to curtail?

Discussion in 'High School' started by math_teacher, Aug 15, 2017.

1. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 15, 2017

I teach high school math and we have seen an explosion in cheating incidents in the past year or so. Students are going well beyond the typical "look at your neighbor's paper" or "cheat sheet". We have students secretly using their cell phones to take photos of graded tests to sell (this was in one of the teacher's with phenomenal classroom management too!), students going to the bathroom during test and using their phone to look up content, answer keys to homework/reviews posted on google classroom by the teacher, or use sites such as wolframapha or simply google to get answers.

I was hoping that some of you could share what you do to prevent/curtail cheating in your class/department - especially math/science teachers.

We have talked about collecting cell phones on test days --- but there is always going to be the kid who is determined to cheat who has 2 phones - a dummy phone and a real one and hands in the dummy phone.

Love to hear a fresh perspective!

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 15, 2017

I teach high school math as well, and it is a big problem in my district as well.

I do always collect cell phones on test day. I think that's necessary. Maybe they have a second phone, but that shouldn't mean just let them have all phones just because. Occasionally if we suspect something we can have a teacher who is free check in the bathroom to be sure.

We usually make 3-5 versions of each test as well, including a different version for kids who are taking the make-up if they were absent.

4. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 15, 2017

When you collect phones - what is your system so that students get their cell phone back and no one steals phones? We had talked about the old fashioned calculator organizer on the wall. But I worry someone will swipe a phone...

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 15, 2017

I just keep them on the front table next to my desk, and it's never been an issue. Same process we use for state testing.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2017

Different tests for different classes
    Different versions of the test in the same class
    Take cell phones
    Don't put answer keys online
    Have them use the rest room before the test

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 15, 2017

If you don't want to make different versions scramble the answers for multiple choice problems on tests and quizzes. For example, on one of my tests I made version A with all of the correct answers marked as A except one question and version B have all answers be B except one question.

It was amusing when one student copied off another student's test and found out he/she got a 0%. Rest assured, that student never cheated in my class again.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 16, 2017

Give big fat F's?

DAH, czacza and jadorelafrance like this.
  9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 16, 2017

I did this this year after catching a kid using his phone on a test. He also had a meeting with me, mom, my supervisor, and a VP. It wasn't his first offense...
    He learned and always put his phone on my desk during a test after that. The other kids got wind and never had an issue after that (I had caught kids cheating in other ways throughout the year and had consequences).
    Luckily my school has started to crack down on cheating and has very serious consequences (one kid lost credit in his language class in May after cheating 3 times in multiple classes). I don't think it stops everyone, and kids will find ways to cheat very creatively (one kid in another teacher's class wrote all the conjugations of a verb on a pencil) but I think it's sending a message to kids and they're getting scared.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 16, 2017

YES! Someone will always find a new way to be sneaky and cheat.

11. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 16, 2017

Don't allow the plastic disposable water bottles, or have them remove the labels. I knew kids who would unstick the label, write cheats on the inside, then re-stick the label and have an "innocent" water bottle on their desks. Gum wrappers were another popular method.

If your classroom situation allows it, have all of the desks turned to face the walls so it's harder to see someone else's paper/hand signals/mouthing answers etc.

For math, make showing your work/explaining your process worth partial credit for each problem. That won't stop the cheating, but it will mean less reward for cheating and make it easier for you to find potential cheaters. If the work is wrong and the answers are right - somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2017

Your students are using Wolphram Alpha? Wow.
    I never write correct answers on tests, just mark answers wrong. Students can ask for clarification in class. I then collect tests and quizzes back. I haven't had too much of an issue (that I know of) -- but it sounds like an ingrained culture at your school.

13. socalenglish

socalenglish Rookie

Aug 27, 2017

Yes to all all of these suggestions-- but one more.
    Have students remove Apple Watches.
    Scary world, but I have caught many students cheating using this nifty device that connects to their phone, where they can access notes, etc.

14. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 29, 2017

Give warning before Test - follow through.

15. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 30, 2017

[QUOTE="ms.irene, .
    • it sounds like an ingrained culture at your school.[/QUOTE]
    It's not just at her school. It's a national social problem!
    Most kids are willing to cheat "IF" they can get away with it--even the smart kids. I've seen unbelievable things when it comes to cheating, in fact, that's why state issued ID is now required, and some places fingerprint you before a national test. It's because ADULTS--not high school student's--FULL GROWN ADULTS were sending other people in to take their CSET and MSAT test and paying them $2,000 if they pass for them. This was going on ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

Years ago, all you had to do was walk in, tell the receptionist your name, sign on the dotted line, and go sit down and take your test. But that's all passe now.

CHEATING, DISHONESTY, LACK OF INTEGRITY all equates to a nationwide CHARACTER FLAW in Americans. (and I don't know about other countries).

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 31, 2017

My students don't have that much technology and they don't try to be creative with water bottles, etc. It's usually just trying to look.
    This is what I always do:
    - have two version that I pass out in the same class. This is if I have multiple choice, the answers are mixed up. No one can tell it's different, I just have a very small marker on top that shows me what version it is . For example on the top it says : name: ___________ date :__ per: ___ vs. Name: _____ date:____ per: ____
    I pass them out that no one sits next to, in front of behind someone with the same test.

If I had a problem classes tell each other the answers, I would have different tests for different classes, but I haven't had to do that yet.
    Usually I have short answers anyways and no so much multiple choice, so with that it's easy to see.
    In math, I would require them to do the work, or explain the answer.