Cheating by Writing Answers on Desk in Pencil

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Raye, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Raye

Raye Rookie

Nov 11, 2009

A student brought it to my attention that there were answers written on his desk in pencil for a recent vocabulary quiz I issued. The cheating method is rather dated but also one that students can easily get away with because pencil blends in with the color of the desk and is impossible to see unless viewed up close. I believe I know which student it is because I have assigned seating and will address the problem tomorrow. However, does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of assigning students different seats when taking exams, but fear that would be a problem because students tend to take forever to get settled down when they change seats. Any help would be appreciated.

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 11, 2009

Is there something, like a Clorox wipe, that would remove the marks? If so, you could set up a routine, where students clean their desk daily or just on test/quiz days.

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Nov 11, 2009

Make more than one test. Use the same questions but rearrange the order. You could even have a different order for each class.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2009

Don't address it yet, you can't prove which student it was.

The next time, right before the test, get in early and erase, then change the answers written on the desk. Make everything CLOSE, but wrong.

I've done it before, and it tends to work.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2009

I love the solution, Alice! I can just picture the look on the student's face when they get that paper back! How can they argue or complain??

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 12, 2009

Years ago, I did something similar for a boy who I finally figured out was cheating from the girl next to him...next test, I made up one different test for the boy, then watched when the tests were returned as he compared his anwers to the girl's - all answers matched, but he got an "F" and she got an "A." He started stomping up to see me to protest, and figured it out on the way up. He looked at me in disbelief - and I just grinned as he slunk back to his seat...it was great...

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2009

Haha, that's awesome!!!

Alice, I never realized how sneaky you could be! :D

Otherwise, I would buy a really nice spray bottle, fill it with a good strong cleansing solution, spray a ton on the desk and quickly wipe them down.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2009

I've also alternated tests, then written "right answers; wrong test" along with a zero on the cheater's.

Today I had a young man receive a test with 3-- count them 3-- correct answers that I somehow marked wrong. So I'll give him credit this time.

But next time I'm Xeroxing his test before I give it back. When he finds more errors, he's getting a zero and a slip to see the dean.

I can be patient.

10. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 12, 2009

Just to have proof, take transparent tape, place it over the answers, and then lift off the answers from the desk. Then place the tape on white paper. The answers will show up and you can have proof that the answers were actually there.

11. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 12, 2009

Ooo, great ideas!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2009

On the topic of cheating--several years ago, one of my grade 8 math students came to me after class to let me know that 2 of the other students had cheated on the test that day. I promised to speak to them the next day. After marking the test, and discovering that the 2 of them, working together, had only managed 40% between them, I didn't need to say much.

13. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 12, 2009

I would confront the student however in a way that allowed them to tell me. In other words, I would give them the option of admitting it. If they didn't, I'd deal with that later but chances are they would. My kids normally admit when they are caught.

14. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 13, 2009

I have been known to leave incorrect test keys in my top desk drawer. This led to some interesting confrontations, some with parents who considered this a "dirty trick."

Unfrickenbelievable.

15. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 13, 2009

The parent had the nerve to defend a kid who obviously set out to cheat?? That's like a robber suing someone because they tripped in the house they were robbing and got hurt...oh, wait, that's a true story...
    What is this world coming to???

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 14, 2009

Mrs C, you must have students like mine. Even when they cheat, they can't pass... Oy.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 14, 2009

I read this to my husband (who used to teach on the college level). He applauded you.

18. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 14, 2009

Go Aliceacc and Ranchwife! Glad my teachers weren't as skilled! (Actually I was a very good student. No, really!)

Shouldn't they be text messaging each other or something? How primitive!