Cheapest place to buy the books I want for my classroom library?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by crunchytxmama, Aug 23, 2011.

1. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Aug 23, 2011

I'm a second year teacher and still working on building my classroom library. I have hit up Goodwill multiple times since I started teaching. I find a lot of great chapter books, but have a hard time finding good quality picture books that my kids will read. I'm at the point where I want specific books. Where is the best place to buy, perhaps a lot of books by a certain author? The best price I've found is to buy the books in lots on ebay for what works out to about $2.50 a book. Can I find a better price anywhere else?

3. rosebuddie3

rosebuddie3 Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

Try these...

have you ever tried Scholastic Books, you can get the students' orders, you get free books/coupons, etc. Also, yard sales, antique places (unbelievably!) and library sales are good places. Additionally, you could have a swap within your classroom, the school, community--I know of churches and other nonprofits that do this. Good luck!:)

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

Have you tried Ebay or even Freecycle? I got tons of books on tapes years ago on Ebay rather cheap. Freecycle, post on there asking for books. Someone may have some good hand-me-downs of their kids' books.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 23, 2011

Too bad you aren't close to a 2nd & Charles...
    http://2ndandcharles.com/
    I discovered the one near me. I was impressed with the children's book section.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Library book sales

Garage sales

Scholastic...you won't have to pay shipping ( which really adds to the price of 'cheap' books you find elsewhere online), you earn points for free books

I've had parents donate books their kids no longer read to my class...I had a parent of a former student bring me a BIG box of outgrown books this year...the student was in my class more than 5 years ago!:love:

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Try Scholastic, Amazon, garage sales, and library sales. In my state they have a Right to Life book sale twice a year. It is huge! The books are very cheap and of high quality. Check and see if there are any benefit book sales in your area. They usually have very good deals and the money will go for a good cause.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2011

I second Scholastic! Most of the books I have are from there! I used to spend some of my own money, but now I just use bonus points and coupons.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2011

Have you tried Sprout? It's run by our very own Jem; she deals in "gently used" classroom materials.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2011

My town just opened up an independent new and used book store, and they will take old books for credit. So I can trade in what the kids don't read anymore and get some new (used) stuff.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2011

I know my city library has a little bookstore that sells old books for 75 cents to maybe a couple of bucks. Maybe you can find some books at your library.

12. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Aug 24, 2011

• BookCloseouts.com -- they have an annual children's book sale where many books are 99 cents. I bought about 300 books through this sale my first year teaching.
    • eBay: you can find lots where books are less than $1 each (even including shipping). Prices may be lower after the surge of back-to-school buying in August-September. When I quit classroom teaching, I sold several lots of 30 to 50 books on eBay, with bids generally maxing out below $1 per book.
    • Library book sales: many library book sales have a "bag day" where you can fill paper grocery bags with books for $5 per bag. (see BookSaleFinder.com)
    • ASK PARENTS for donations.
    • When you visit yard sales, ask whether the sellers may be willing to donate any unsold books for your classroom at the end of the day.
    • When you find a really great bargain, go ahead and buy books that aren't age-appropriate for your students -- then you can negotiate trades with other teachers in your area.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 24, 2011

I bought a few book lots on Ebay this year and it worked out to less than a dollar a book. To me, this was the easiest and least expensive way of building a library. I still have a ways to go but at least I have a good foundation.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 24, 2011

Oh and when you get these books... PUT YOUR NAME ON THEM! :D (referencing a thread on here about a P that said a teacher took too many books when she left that school).

15. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

I would also like to add Freecycle. I made a book request for middle school age kids. I got three milk crates of books for free.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2011

All three of these are great suggestions. My local branch of the public library has regular book sales of their old books. They are still in great condition and are hardcover. The deal is that you can fill a bag for $5.00. So, I bring a large, cloth shopping bag and fill it to the brim! Sometimes it's so heavy I have a hard time carrying it home!!

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 24, 2011

Garage sales and rummage sales as well as good will. My town has a huge rummage sale every fall, and teachers get to come a day early to shop in the book room. I got 20 hardback chapter books, mostly popular titles such as diary of a wimpy kid and harry potter, for 10 dollars total.