CHEAPEST Place/Site to Buy & Rent Books?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 16, 2011

Where's the cheapest place/site to buy books these days? Regular books as well as college texts. As we know B&N and Borders don't sell college texts, so what's the cheapest place to rent them?

Also, there's a fun read I want to buy. B&N and Borders sell it for $26, but if I get it online at B&N, it's $13 + shipping. But, the last time I ordered from B&N, my order took forever plus I had to go through some trouble! :mad:

Please list any CHEAP sites/places you know, thanks! :)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2011

Interesting...I've never heard of "renting" college textbooks--I know that you can't here. My son has purchased used textbooks for many of his courses; he's found them through ads on student message boards.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

B&N DOES sell and rent college texts. I know they now own the college bookstore at my university and I think they are buying up a bunch more.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

I always ran to the library and checked them out first, if I could. Obviously there was a lot of competition for them but if you could get there first, that was a great deal.

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 16, 2011

My son usually put up a sign on one of the bulletin boards at college and often got text books that way. Around our college, there are also used text book stores. For 'fun' reads, try Goodwill, Salvation Army or garage sales. I get current hardbacks for $1 almost every week.

7. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2011

If you have an Ollie's in your area, they have tons of books. Amazon is also good.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2011

half.com
    Amazon has a used books option... My son sells his when his semesters wrap up.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 16, 2011

Renting Textbooks: Chegg.com

Buying books/textbooks: Half.com -- Also, I work at a library and my boss will order from Alibris and they usually have cheaper books or ones that are hard to find. I believe the site is Alibris.com

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 17, 2011

Thanks guys! Yes, I've rented books through campusbookrentals.com and another rental site before. Just wanted to see if there were any better sites out there. Chegg.com always was more expensive than other rental sites when I compared prices.

I've ordered books & more through Amazon & they do ship fast!