cheapest place for lamination?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 18, 2012.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2012

I got something laminated at Staples last year and it was really expensive. It was something I needed by the end of the day and they forgot to call me so the manager just gave it to me, but the full price is astronomical. So, what office stores or other places are the best for lamination? Our school laminator comes out crinkly, and I like to keep my stuff for a while. Thanks :)

3. TXspedteach

TXspedteach Rookie

Jul 18, 2012

Teacher's stores generally have the cheapest lamination prices. My local one charges 50 cents a foot.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2012

I don't have a local teacher supply store, and the one I make a trek to once a year charges $1.99 square foot!

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2012

Anyone else?

6. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 19, 2012

I have my own laminator but can only laminate up to 8 1/2 x 11 paper. The laminator itself was cheap but the sheets can be expensive, I think 50 sheets for $15. I use this for a lot of little things. The lamination lasts a long time and is very sturdy.

Our school laminator comes out crinkly if it's not heated enough too but luckily we can send stuff to our local BOCES to have laminated for free since we have a contract with them.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

I had to laminate our house plans prior to building...that was expensive! :eek:

Luckily I am fine with the machines at school. The only place I know that laminates is the copy and print place I used for the house plans.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 4, 2015

Since this was last posted 3 years ago, I wanted to see if anyone else knew of a place that laminated for cheap & what the cost was!

9. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 4, 2015

If you have a Mardel near it is only .30 a foot. Lakeshore school supply is the same price I believe.

10. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Aug 4, 2015

I read on facebook that Mardel is 30 cents a yard. But they're mainly in Texas.
    Edit: or foot, lol i could be wrong.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 4, 2015

Our Mardel's is 30 cents a foot. I had a coupon for ten feet free yesterday.

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 7, 2015

The cheapest I found was the local teacher store, which is having a sale for 50 cents a foot during the month of August, but I feel like that is still expensive. Am I just too cheap?
    Our school has a small laminator but is usually out of sheets, which renders it useless! For anything bigger, we have to drop off at the main office & pick up later, which is a hassle.
    Uuuggghhh. My last school spoiled me; we were always fully stocked on everything & if there was anything I wanted, they bought it for us. Now it's looking like I have to buy everything myself.

Also, has anyone bought the laminating sheets off of laminator.com?

13. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Aug 7, 2015

Do you have a Mardel's near by? It's $0.30 a foot.

They're still giving away the free 10ft of laminating coupons through September.

I've been laminating there and it's self serve which is nice.

14. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Aug 7, 2015

Will you be laminating a lot? When I have things here and there I do it myself using clear Contact Paper. I've done this when making magnetic signs for my daily schedule.

I would love a small laminator, though. :)

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 7, 2015

Those are generally 24" wide, so yes, I think you may be too cheap. At that price I could do a 36x24 poster for $1.50, and I would LOVE to have that price for that size. Most places charge by the square foot, so $3/sq.ft. would cost you $18 vs. $1.50.

I will admit that the width is tricky for 24" width, but I usually just trim a little off the width to make it a better fit. I like to use my rotary cutter for this, as it gives a better edge. I believe that these places are self service, so you can take a little time to position the posters/pictures/whatever on the feed before hitting the on button, which makes the price dirt cheap on 8.5"x11", as you could do two of them for less than $.50.

I have posters to print, and I am simply playing with the proportions so that I don't even have to trim them. I have found a reasonable place to have posters printed (but not cheap). I am always looking for free science posters, since in HS they can really help a room have visual appeal.

16. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 7, 2015

No Mardel's :( The nearest one is 6 hours away

Unfortunately, I would love self serve but these teacher stores by me are not like that. I drop them off & pick it up later, so I have no idea how they would do it.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 7, 2015

We have a Lake Shore Teacher Supply nearby, and they are self serve. Sorry for assuming.

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 8, 2015

That's okay, I might just have to suck it up & pay whatever it costs! :) Like I said, my last school spoiled us so I'm going have to get used to all the normal teacher out-of-pocket expenses, ha!

19. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 15, 2015

I use a local blue print store. They're FAR cheaper than Staples or Office Depot. I was surprised to find out they laminated - but they do a fabulous job. Because they don't laminate a ton, I usually call them before I come in so they can turn the machine on and warm it up!

20. Lubna

Lubna Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

My opinion is to buy a lamination machine. you can use it any time for ever.