Cheapest/easiest way to buy children's books?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissEducation, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Feb 28, 2011

I never would have thought this was so hard! I am doing a project with my 7th graders and they are going to be writing a children's book about a disability. I am trying to collect children's books written about disabilities - kids who have them, non-fiction books, kids with siblings who have them, etc. I tried Amazon first - the shipping costs were outrageous and when I tried a free trial with "Prime" none of the books I picked out were eligible. E-bay didn't have a great selection and the prices were more expensive. I am going to go to Borders after school today but I don't think they'll have a huge selection.

Obviously the library is an option but I'd like to own these books so I can use them in the future. These are just stupidly expensive. Normally I buy my books at Goodwill to build up my collection but this is the first time I'm looking for many books with one specific theme.

I'd appreciate any tips! Thanks!

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 28, 2011

Get a list together and send it home. Ask if anyone has copies of these books they will donate to your class. You will be surprised what you get. Also post it in the lounge and ask your public library if they will surplus any of these books to you. My library surplussed videos to me last Christmas for a dollar. It doesn't hurt to ask.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 28, 2011

If I were you, I would just check out library books this time. Wait and see which books the kids use/like the most, and then spend the next year looking for them at garage sales, thrift stores, and scholastic book clubs.

5. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 28, 2011

:agreed:
    You may even end up getting parents to purchase some books on your list that are not available for free.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 28, 2011

If you want to send me the list, I'll check the Sprout inventory for you and can ship them to you media mail. At $2 a book, it's a great deal!

www.sprout.ecrater.com (we have a lot of books not listed, so let me know if you need books not listed)

7. frugalmama

frugalmama Rookie

Mar 1, 2011

another option is to sign up for PaperbackSwap or Bookmooch and swap for them. We get a lot of our books that way.

8. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Mar 2, 2011

My favorite place to buy books for a classroom library: library book sales (always hit or miss in temrs of what titles you'll find, but in many places, on the last day of the sale, you can buy a full shopping bag full of books for $5).

I've also purchased several hundred books, including a complete class set of one novel, from BookCloseouts.com (mostly for about $1 each).

I've also bought many used and closeout books through Amazon's marketplace, but the shipping charges for these third-party items are a big obstacle.