cheap way to make journals?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Loves the beach, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 14, 2011

I want my kids to have journals this year. Unfortunately, many of my students cannot afford most of their school supplies. I am not going to ask them to buy a journal. I would love to buy them something nice, but I can't afford to do that for 112 students.

Is there an easy, cheap way to make journals?

Here's the only idea I've been able to come up with: Kids create a unique cover. They put several pieces of notebook paper behind it. I staple in three places.

Does anyone have any ideas? Keep in mind that I can't afford to go out and buy lots of materials for everyone. :help:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

Do you have a binding machine at your school?

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 14, 2011

I use the binding machines for many things... You can get a box of binding spines for $12 or so! Staples this past week had composition notebooks for one cent! I went back several days and got my teacher allocated 25! I think you can't beat that price! Especially all the time you would save assembling them!!!

5. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

I'm going to have my students create a foldable, its the easiest and cheapest way I could think of.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2011

How about asking for cereal boxes as they finish them at home?

You could cut the front and back into two parts, have the kids cover them with construction paper and decorate with markers, fold up some blank copy paper, and staple them together.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 14, 2011

I'd just use composition notebooks and buy them for 10 cents at a sale.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 14, 2011

I didn't find the composition books for 10 cents, but I did find them for 40 cents at Walmart. I plan on using them.

9. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

I watch the sales and get the folders with fasteners when they are on sale for $0.01, $0.05, or $0.15 I have them put notebook paper in, I write their names on the front and each class period has a different color so if 2 students have the same name like kayla and I see they left their folder out I know where it goes. They stay in my classroom!!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 14, 2011

I don't know if this will work for your needs, but I found a way to get twice the use out of one comp book. I teach 2nd/3rd so they don't write long entries. I cut the book in half using the paper cutter. You end up with two half-tall journals. I did this after noticing that the kids were only writing on the first few lines of each page.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

You could also set up a donor's choose project. Since it won't be too expensive it would probably be funded quickly.

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011

They were 20 cents at Target. Sometimes it's worth not going through the trouble and just getting them. Sometimes, it's not.

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 15, 2011

Staples has the 1 subject notebooks for 1 cent each, limit 25. You have to buy $5.00 of something else to get that deal.

So each set of 25 would cost you 5.25 plus tax. I know it adds up, but just thought I would toss out the idea in case you have any other supplies you needed to purchase anyway. I bought 125 of the 10 cent composition books last week, but needed 5 of a $10 item for my household so it worked out perfectly.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

We used spiral notebooks that I bought last year at Walmart for 15 cents a piece. I have my students draw a line half way through the paper and write on one half. Next day they write on the bottom half. I have them use the backs this same way. As we progress through the year they can use whole pages for various assignments. This year I'm going to let them add more art work to express their ideas, sort of like a visual journal. At the end of the year, my hope is that they have a journal that demonstrates their growth for the year and their creativity to have and keep...

15. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

I make small journals by taking legal sized paper and folding it in half and then stapling it in with a construction paper cover page.

16. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 20, 2011

Thanks so much for the suggestions. How do you all hear about these good deals? Do you go to websites, or do you get an advertisement in the mail? I always find out about school supply deals when it's too late.