Cheap Online California Teaching Credential Program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futuremathsprof, Aug 30, 2015.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 30, 2015

Greetings fellow teachers!

I am 23 years old, a graduate of UC Davis with major in mathematics, and I currently work as a high school math teacher at a private school in California. I would like to know what cheap online credential programs are available since I am working full time and on a budget. Certification wise, I have passed the CBEST and CSET Math Subtests I, II, and III. Any this may or may not be necessary but I scored really high on my end of year review and the principal and head of school both personally requested I teach four different subjects (one AP) so I think I'm doing a great job. :D

Please be as thorough as possible and list as many schools that offer online California teaching credential programs or online teaching programs with CA reciprocity. Also, please try to keep the price reasonable because I just finished paying off my undergraduate student loans -- I paid 18k in ten months so I would like to avoid student loan debt if possible. Another thing, I am not interested in getting my Masters degree at this time. I may later but right now my main concern is getting the Preliminary credential first.

I already looked up an online school stationed in Washington D.C. and contacted them. The representative said that they offer CA reciprocity but was kind of unsure about some things so I would like to know what other options are available before I commit. :thanks:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2015

Look up Cal Teach.

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 30, 2015

I got my CA credential through WGU. The program is accepted by the CTC directly, you do not have to go through reciprocity. You can start any month and it is a flat rate of about $3000/six months. I completed my program in 2 semesters, so it would have cost $6000, but they gave me a scholarship for the 2nd semester, so the whole thing cost me about $3000.

You do have to take the praxis II for math in addition to the CSETs. I don't remember the reasoning behind that, but if you've passed the CSETs, you should do fine on the praxis.

Pisces, Pashtun and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Jul 5, 2017

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 5, 2017

Pisces likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2017

Update:

I got my teaching credential through WGU and it was quick and inexpensive. The total cost was just like $4,000, which I self-financed. Having no student loans was the deciding big factor.

Pisces likes this.
  8. @suzy

@suzy Rookie

Apr 19, 2021

I am looking a teaching credential program for California. Do they offer that?

9. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 19, 2021

Yes, both futuremathsprof and I are credentialed in California.

10. @suzy

@suzy Rookie

Apr 20, 2021

Thank you for your reply. I contacted them and the have what I need but with MA which costs more but still cheaper than others.
    Thank you

11. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Apr 21, 2021

Futuremathsprof, you sound like a very capable teacher. For others on this board, i would suggest placing the training you'll get ahead of cost. For example any institution that offers a credential without student teaching is, IMHO, a scam. You should go into education with top-flight training in order to be as effective as possible. You do not want to be an incompetent teacher.

12. @suzy

@suzy Rookie

Apr 21, 2021

They do have student teaching and demonstration.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  13. @suzy

@suzy Rookie

Apr 21, 2021

The other colleges are double or triple the price of this, and with students' loan it will become more!

14. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Apr 21, 2021

Looks like www.wgu.edu is the way to go!

15. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 21, 2021

Why do you think we weren't required to student teach? Student teaching is a requirement for receiving a California credential and I have been teaching in California public schools for a decade after receiving my credential through WGU.

Maybe you should inform yourself before making derogatory comments about a program. Your off-hand, uninformed comment could lead someone to doubt whether a program is legitimate, costing them many thousands of dollars. WGU has strengths and weaknesses, and I am happy to discuss those with someone considering going there, but your comment is just untrue.

@suzy and CaliforniaRPCV like this.
  16. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Apr 22, 2021

I can see I've touched a sensitive area. Let me make this right. First off you are right: I know nothing about the WGU program. Perhaps it's wonderful. I was not aiming my criticism over WGU, but to weak teacher training programs in general. Perhaps I should have be more careful in my wording.

I never criticized WGU. If you read my message, my point was for new teachers to place quality of training over price. A teaching candidate should avoid weak teacher training programs. Perhaps you disagree with this.

I will name a program that is among the worst at teacher training: Teach for America. Last time I checked, they offered five weeks of training without student teaching before throwing their eager teachers into the deep end to sink or swim.

17. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 22, 2021

Thank you for clarifying, Tyler. I try not to overreact, but your comment in the context of the conversation stream read like a dig at WGU. I appreciate that you responded, and am also not a fan of Teach for America. Cheers.

18. @suzy

@suzy Rookie

Apr 29, 2021

mathteachertobe,
    After a long phone call with the WGU counselor, she said I need to apply for Utah state credential and then CA credential. Is this what you did to get your CA teaching credential?
    Thank you

19. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 29, 2021

No, that is not how it worked 10 years ago. Back then, WGU submitted all the documentation straight to the California CDC, and it was processed by them, so my initial credential was a California one. The CDC website actually lists programs that can credential directly with California, so you might want to check there. Sorry to hear that.

20. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 29, 2021

I just checked WGU's info and it looks like for Special Ed and Secondary English, you have to get a Utah license first, then do reciprocity. All others credentials are directly processed in California.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 29, 2021

22. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 29, 2021

The information at that link is incomplete, Western Governors is not listed, but is included in the California CTC's (Commission on Teacher Credentialing) list of approved programs. The CTC site really is your best bet. Here is a link: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 29, 2021

Like I said, I was offering a good place to start. Thank you!

24. @suzy

@suzy Rookie

May 3, 2021

mathteachertobe,
    yes correct for the Special Ed which I am looking for is the way you mentioned. I am confused about going through this process.

25. @suzy

@suzy Rookie

May 3, 2021

catnfiddle,
    Thank you for the link you sent. I will check it to see the affordable one.