Cheap memo books for reading workshop

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, May 29, 2008.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 29, 2008

I'm looking to find a class set (I'd need about 30) of side-bound 4x6" memo books for next year (already planning!) for reading workshop. Does anyone know how inexpensive they get during the summer months or good places to find them? I saw OfficeMax has them for about $7.50 for a dozen...

Thanks!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 29, 2008

If they don't have to be 4 x 6 memo wait until Walmart puts their spiral bound notebooks on sale in the summer. They are usually 10 cents each.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

May 29, 2008

I would wait until back to school sales as well. Sometimes you can get them really really cheap in August. Composition notebooks are a good option.

5. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 29, 2008

I bought spiral ones from Staples last year for 4 cents a piece. I cut them in half with the big cutter and got two uses out of them

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 29, 2008

I got composition books and chopped them in half at Kinkos. They chopped them for free for my friend but when I went they made me pay $7. :(

But I used them last year for math journals and this year for reading response journals and loved them!

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 29, 2008

Good idea to cut the spirals! They would be cheaper. But do they hold together?

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2008

Yep! I got some for my own kiddos at 9 cents each:)

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2008

I have never seen this or heard of it. So they hve some sort of big cutter at the office supply stores?

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

Did they just use a large paper cutter? I am tempted to do this next year for morning work journals- also did the metal cut anyone (the piece left at the end). Thanks!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

I have seen packs of the steno notebooks at Sams Club too. I use them for Word Work. There have been sales here and there- I think I picked up last year's set at the grocery store in August when they were 50 cents each. This year I am ordering them through Staples because I have to buy 90.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 30, 2008

I was just going to suggest this option!;)

13. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 30, 2008

How they cut them

For those of you that asked, a print shop has a huge power cutter that they use to cut large stacks of paper products. I worked in a print shop for a while and loved using the cutter. They usually charge per cut.

When I taught preschool, we had a place cut our workbooks for us so we didn't have to spend hours ripping out pages, it was great!

I never saw them use it on spiral notebooks. My only concern would be if the wire were sharp it may scratch a kid?

I just found out Staples has a teacher rewards card where you get a rebate on what you buy. And the copy shop is included. :)

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

In all of my years teaching, I've never had any mishaps with the wire on spirals causing any physical harm.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

I meant with the cut edge sticking out (if you cut the notebook in half)- not that a regular spiral bound notebook would cause harm.

16. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 30, 2008

I think it would end up just being like a regular spiral when it comes undone a little bit. I just curl the ends back in and move on. I'm sure the cut edge would curl in just as easily.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

So the spiral-bound notebooks turn into 4X5's (more or less) instead of 8X11's? Is it a clean cut? What do you use the mini-books for? Sound interesting. (Just because I like the idea of mini-books.)