Cheap intervention program suggestions

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Feb 20, 2014.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 20, 2014

I just found out that I have more budget money! I spent my money from the sped department and then found out that I get a stipend from my school building as well. I have all of the basic supplies I need. I know most programs are crazy expensive, but I figured I'd ask to see if there was anything good and inexpensive out there that I could get. More teaching resources are always nice. I have one math program that I use for everything and I don't really feel that I need anything else in that area, so I'm looking for something for reading.

I already have:
    Orton Gillingham- love it for my younger kids

LLI- don't like the program and don't use the lessons, but it came with hundreds of sets of guided reading books, which I use frequently

Reading A-Z subscription- very useful for my more advanced students needing support with grade level concepts

Language!- I use it for my older kids who are still really low readers, I like some parts of it

My school doesn't hold us to implementing anything with "fidelity" so I'd be mostly looking for something that comes with some really good resources- it doesn't have to be a perfect program since I'm not tied to implementing all of it. I would really like something that works on phonics for intermediate students (I think the orton gillingham is kind of babyish), and Language! just isn't as effective.

3. bballjoe12

bballjoe12 Companion

Feb 20, 2014

What math program do you use?

How about SPIRE for reading?

Also, can I ask why you don't like LLI? My district has it for the special eduction teachers and I've been curious about it.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 21, 2014

We use Math-U-See. It's awesome!

SPIRE is way too expensive...I only have a couple hundred dollars!

My district bought LLI for sped too, and I'm not sure why...it was never created as a sped program. It's just not enough of an intervention. It's basically just regular guided reading. I think it would be great for a classroom teacher that wasn't sure how to teach guided reading, but kids that really need intervention need more. Our title 1 teachers also use it, and kids are in title 1 before being identified for sped, so it doesn't make sense that I would use something that obviously didn't work for them in title. We're trying to get our title teachers to get less attached to using it also, because even most of their kids don't respond to it. The only kids it's really good for are those that have simply missed instruction for some reason (moved around a lot, etc.).

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2014

News 2 You.
    Not really an intervention program but a targeted special education newsletter with dozens of themed practice sheets weekly. My kids have improved in so many areas thanks to it.

N2y.com