Cheap Document Camera?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KLSSwimmer, Sep 6, 2010.

1. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

I heard about this document camera (the IPEVO) on another forum. Has anyone ever used one of these? It looks like a cheap version of a document camera. Just wanted to get some feedback from some people who have used it before I buy. Thanks!

3. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 6, 2010

Whoops - sorry I forgot to post the websites. It is the IPEVO Point 2 View USB Document Camera that can be found at this website.

4. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I just got mine recently! We've been in school for two days and I've used it a few times already. I really like it. I think it works as well as an Elmo. It has an autofocus feature that's really great. I also feel like the arm (?) and camera are easier to angle and position than the Elmo was for me. I like that I can keep it, since I bought it, and use it a lot! It's pricey for something to buy on your own, but I think it will end up being well worth it considering how much it will be used in class.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 6, 2010

I don't think it has a light. I see that as being a problem, is it? My school strictly forbids any from-home add-ons but that looks great!

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

Wow, this looks like it's a great deal!! I may get myself one after I get some extra money. I'm also very interested in finding out how it has worked out for other teachers.

7. Ladybug Teacher

Sep 6, 2010

I think it depends on the light you have in your room. I kept the lights off, but I have a ton of natural light coming through the windows so it worked out ok. I think I read somewhere that someone used it near a lamp they had in the classroom, but I don't know if that would work or not.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 6, 2010

Does it need software to run, or is it just plug and play? I might break a rule and play dumb :whistle:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 6, 2010

That's an elegant little device!

10. Ladybug Teacher

Sep 6, 2010

I think it does require the disk to go with it...but I'm not certain. I'll try it on another computer at school tomorrow if I get a chance and let you know. Good luck!

11. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I just bought one. : )

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

Let us know how it works.

13. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 6, 2010

It should be here Thursday. I will definitely let you know how it works!

14. Ladybug Teacher

Sep 11, 2010

I just used mine again A LOT the other day. It was a bit dark (we had all the lights off but it was wicked sunny). I turned on the middle row of lights (which were directly over the paper I was projecting) and it worked great. It made the paper look really bright on the screen.

The only thing I have a hard time with sometimes (and it was the same on the Elmo for me) is focusing on certain papers. If it seems to be having a hard time focusing, I've just been taking a picture when I have a clear enough image, and using the pic.

I did a live demonstration of coloring a map and that looked pretty good. The kids were really focused and it helped them know exactly what to do (and I have non English proficient students). Sorry this is longish, hope it's helpful!

15. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 11, 2010

Dumb question: Does this require a projector or can you use it on your computer and project on tv...or both? (Ok, more than one question)

16. Ladybug Teacher

Sep 12, 2010

It's not a dumb question at all. I use a projector, but I think it would work if you have a connection from your tv to your computer. The ipevo itself connects to the computer only, so it should work fine.