Cheap Cork?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TampaTeacher, Aug 19, 2009.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

The administration at my school has given me the go-ahead to cover an ugly section of wall in my classroom with cork. I think it would be easy to screw in a 4x6 piece of cork, and this would create an awesome place to display student work. Also, I figured a roll of cork had to be fairly inexpensive.

HA! It turns out, it's some pretty pricey stuff!

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to achieve this affect? Would ceiling tiles work and be cost effective? Or is there a supplier of inexpensive cork? I was only hoping to spend about $20.

Thanks for any advice!

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

Check Wal-Mart, Target, etc. They sell those cork tiles, I got a 4 pack of them for like 5 dollars. They're 1 foot squares (i think)

Hope this helps!

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 19, 2009

Tampa,
    Try the cork tiles. They are a more affordable way to do it.

I would NOT use ceiling tiles, as they put out an allergenic dust when punctured. I believe that dust is a biohazard (it used to be -- not sure if they have changed the composition in the past few years or not.) I wouldn't risk it.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 19, 2009

I found some at dollar tree once or twice last year, but I'm not sure if they're carrying them right now.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

I broke down and bought a roll of cork for some bulletin boards I'm making-I got it 25% off at Office Max during teacher appreciation time (it was $17 originally). Can you find a coupon? I looked at the tiles, too, but for my project, the frames are so small that a roll is really the best way to do it. It would be AWESOME if you could find them at the Dollar Store-sheesh!!

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009

The four-pack of 12" cork tiles is on sale for $5 at Staples starting on Sunday.

8. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

AWESOME! Thanks, everyone!