Cheap college credits

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Feb 25, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 25, 2017

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to get cheap college credits for teaching-related courses, not necessarily working towards a degree?

WGU is one that I've heard a lot about, but it has competency based units instead of credits (as far as I understand), and I'm not sure they'll transfer the same way to our pay scale if I don't end up getting a degree.

Thanks!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 25, 2017

PBS Teacherline

otterpop likes this.
  4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2017

For salary points? Community colleges are the least expensive way to earn points if they need to be from an accredited institution.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. stormlight

stormlight New Member

Feb 26, 2017

As a graduate from WGU, I know a lot about the college. You do get credits after each class, they just call them competency units instead. I dont what you are getting credits for but in my state at least, we need credits or a degree for renewal. WGU is the cheapest way to get any degree or endorsement as you pay a flat rate. You would have to sign up for an endorsement or degree though. I would imagine it would work the same way a normal college works if you dont finish. The college has full accrediation and I was able to clear even my masters degree with my district (I am getting more in salary).

The only other thing I can think of is a community college or one of those endorsement program websites.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 26, 2017

Without going into too much detail, there are a few reasons that I'm interested in this, including a new teaching endorsement (only requires a few classes, not a whole degree) and pay scale credits. To "kill two birds with one stone" it makes more sense to get masters credits, I think, especially if I want to finish a degree using the credits later.

I will look more into WGU then, and take a look into PBS again - I wasn't sure how those credits would transfer either. Thank you everyone! WGU actually has the classes that I'm looking for I think but I just wasn't sure about the whole setup of the credit system.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 27, 2017

I was able to incorporate 6 credits from Teacherline into my MEd in ESL (literacy, teaching phonics, etc.). Although I chose to have my credits come from UMKC, I believe there are cheaper choices. There is an additional charge for the credits to be grad credits, but using one of the cheaper universities makes these credits a real bargain. I saved about $1850 on each 3 credit course compared to the $2500 that my local university charged for the same thing. I enjoy the courses, and if you are just looking for credits, there are some really nice ones to choose from that you can take directly into your classroom. Mostly you will need to know what your DOE will accept, whether they have to be relevant to what you are teaching, and what regional accredidations they will accept. When I was doing this, NJDOE didn't accept credits from universities from Utah. I finally got them to see that someone dropped the ball, but unless you like tilting at windmills, go for easy acceptance. Best of luck!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    otterpop likes this.