Cheap Bulletin Board Decor

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 15, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

This will be my first year teaching and I've heard lots of teachers recommend felt as their bulletin board background. As great as that seems, I find that to possibly be expensive (unless I'm going about this all wrong).

I was thinking of using wrapping paper as a background for a few boards; it CAN (though not always) be cheap and would add color and designs the regular butcher paper cannot. Ideas for where to get deals on it....or other ways to decorate...?

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 15, 2007

A tablecloth from the Dollar Store is big, cheap, all one piece, won't fade.

4. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

ah tablecloth! hadn't even thought about that. thanks!

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

All of my boards are painted bright colors. I wouldn't go back to covering them myself for anything. Of course, I teach jr. high, so doing my boards isn't as intensive as it is for some of you.

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

I use material I bought for $1.00 a yard at Walmart.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

I use fabric. Costs around $7 for a large bb but I use it over and over again.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

The bbs at my school are covered with a textured material- nice. Eliminates the need to cover the board with paper or fabric.

I do think that wrapping paper would work nicely though if you need to cover yours.

9. IowaLA

IowaLA Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I have used flat sheets from Wal-Mart. They are very cheap and come in a lot of different colors.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 15, 2007

The cheapest for us is using the bulletin board paper the school provides.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

I am glad someone finally mentioned the BB paper available at school! I was feeling weird because no one was saying they use the stuff the school supplies. We had an enormous supply of those gigantic roles of BB paper...all colors. I just don't need to buy anything. I plan to eventually laminate my BB letters and pieces. The smart thing would be to do it at the end of one school year and cut them out over the summer.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

I use wallpaper seconds. I can usually find remants-- single rolls or something over the summer. It's sturdy, has neat edges when you cut, and doesn't fade.

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Last year was my first year of teaching and nobody told me about the rolls of BB paper. I spent a lot of $$ buying paper to cover my boards. I teach HS, but I still like color in my room. About half-way through the year I was with another teacher, and she pulled out about 6 rolls of BB paper from under our stage!! I'm sure my mouth fell open. I won't make the same mistake this year, I will use what the school has and I will be happy with it!

14. kelbel7583

kelbel7583 Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Check out the Dollar Tree's teacher corner. They have die cuts and premade letters to use. I also use the $1 a yard fabric from Walmart as well. Yor school may even have a die cut machine in the workroom.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

I also use the $1.00 vinyl tableclothes. They come in every colour, are really large and are very easy to work with.

16. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

flat sheets? as in bedding sheets?

17. IowaLA

IowaLA Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Yep! They work great and are fairly cheap!

18. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I paint mine. It rolls on quick and easy. Then If I wnt a different color I just paper over it with the BB paper the school provides!

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

Tablecloths and wallpaper seem like great ideas!

Last year I used inexpensive fabric from Wal-Mart.

I don't like to use paper because it rips too easily and shows the holes when I rearrange my board.

20. tx3teacher

tx3teacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I try to find fabric that may be on sale because it lasts a long time. Eventually it fades, but I find that paper tears and doesn't look as good after a while.

21. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

My school provides it too, but I am cutting impaired ;) and it takes me forever to cover a board this way. It also fades and tears up for me. I put fabric up on my boards three years ago and they still look great! Staples don't bother it, holds its shape, doesn't fade. Woohoo!

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I used wallpaper left over from my sons' room last year and it looked great. It was an all over design of bright colors so it worked really well. It tends to have a little more weight so it doesn't get wrinkled. I was concerned that because it was "prepasted" that it may be stuck to the wall at the end of the year but it removed easily.

23. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I use fabric - it holds up as I change my boards and can be used from 1 year to the next. The bulletin board paper at the building is really cheap and I have found it rips easy and it fades so bad from the sun. The teacher I share my room with and I laughed at the end of the year when we took down our board and you could see outlines of everything she had up on the blue paper. lol

24. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I get Christmas wrapping paper at the 75% off sales at the dollar stores, wal-mart, etc. right after Christmas. You can get pretty silver color, red/white stripes, etc. Things that don't necessarily have crazy Christmas designs on them and that could be used at all times of the year. I even got some that was blue with yellow stars (how is that Christmas wrap??)

25. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Wow, how great. I just got so many ideas. i used to do all my preschool BB's w/ paper (supplied by school) but outrs never had time to fade, we hade to change them monthly (to keep w/ school theme)

I have a specific look I want for my room, b/c my school is very new and my class will only have 5-7 kids. I want my boards to be interactive and teaching so I think fabric will be the best.

Has anyone tried using velcro to attached peices so the kids can move them? Just curious what worked and what didn't!!!!

26. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

"Cutting Impaired"....HA!

27. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Half the time I am tearing impaired with the big rolls! :D

28. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

oh me too. I can't tear worth crap!

29. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

trick I learned - take a pair of scissors with you, run the blade along where you want to cut (our rolls are on a big cart with a "blade" on one end of each so I run the scissors against the blade) this perforates (sp?) the paper just enough that I don't make as big of a mess lol. It works sometimes, the veteran teachers laugh at me though. :rolleyes: oh well

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 16, 2007

Ours are on that big rolling thing that has a tearing part for me. Then I have a heck of a time getting it down the hall without it wrinkling to bits before I arrive. Keep in mind I am an Aide so I do free. Then I use a box cutter (that I supplied myself) and after I actually staple it to the board where I want it, I run it across the border of the bulletin board lightly. Sometimes I even do without the border. I like some of those other ideas though. I'm not likely to do the fabric one because that's more money than I want to invest in it. I do spend money on the classroom even though I don't have any obligation to do so, but I like to spend it in the fun places!

31. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

Our school doesn't have great colors...they're faded. Last year I bought cheap yellow wrapping paper and laminated it. It looked great all year. I even laminate the long rolls of bb paper. It lasts all year.

32. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

totally did not think of laminating the paper hmmm:cool:

33. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Teacherece, Do you get free laminating at your school?

34. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

ah...yes laminating it. Great point! and how long does that take? I mean....those are big pieces of paper we're talking about here

35. Carla

Carla Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I also have laminated my bb paper. I fold it in half and it laminates one side...I just cut it open. I like it because you can use tape on it and won't tear the paper when you take your display off. I had one up in the hallway all of this past year without corkboard underneath and it worked great!