chatty class

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lotusblossom, Aug 23, 2008.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 23, 2008

it is only the 2nd week of school and i am at my wit's end w/ my kids!

i have 11 girls and 10 boys, and the majority are VERY wiggly and VERY chatty!

when it is whole group time they just fall apart, and i end up trying to seat half the class at desks away from each other while the others are on the rug w/ me. i am running out of desks to put them all in!!

i have tried everything short of circus tricks to get them to pay attention - lots of positive stuff, like stickers, SMART CARDS (our schoolwide PBS program), treasure box, team points, etc...

they seem to not really care about my approval or about positive rewards for good behavior.

we spent 20 minutes today with heads down because i just couldn't get them to get it together long enough for me to actually teach. when we came back together to refocus, they acted like the whole thing hadn't even happened!

and lines? forget about it!! i am embarassed to walk them down the hallways!

what tricks do you have up your sleeve?

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2008

blossum,

I have a chatty class and I have tried this new trick. I have a stool in my class that I started to call my "quiet chair." If I sit in my chair that means that I am ready to teach and I need their attention. I started this earlier this week and yesterday when they were noisy while I was teaching I sat down and they got quiet. I am happy with this procedure.

4. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I like this, idea! I have a stop watch that I pick up when they are taking too long to transition...I waste their time if they waste mine. I take minutes off recess. But for when the transition is more smooth, I take the minutes they owe me off. I make a tally mark on the board for each minute. I told them if we can finish everything I have planned, they we will have time for extra recess, so we'll see if we can do this, this week. I am at least going to give them a taste of what extra recess is! :)

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I also do something similar to this, except I take the time off their Friday Free Choice. We start every week with 30 minutes of Friday Free Choice (maybe less this year, we haven't started school yet) and when they talk when I'm trying to teach, I go up to the board and make a tally mark. Then I stand there watching the clock. Usually, after 1 tally mark, they all say to each other "Shhhh, she is putting minutes on the board!!" Rarely I've had to put 2 minutes on the board at the same time.

In addition, sometimes I'll let the really quiet students be done with their work early (just a couple days to set an example) and do something really fun, while the rest of the chatty students have to finish their work. At the beginning of the lesson I'll say "If you all work very hard and very quietly, we might have a few minutes before lunch/recess/whatever comes next to write on the whiteboards/work on a puzzle/something else fun. Then, I'll grab the quiet kids (hopefully you have a couple!) and do the fun activity with them.

In the past, that has worked well for me. Of course, I don't continue to do that the entire year, but it shows the chatty students (a) that I'm serious about quiet and (b) they miss out on fun things (Friday Free Choice, other activities) when they choose to talk instead of working/listening to my lesson.

I haven't started school yet this year so I may end up with a chatty class and come back to figure out what to do! Good luck!! :)

6. MissR

MissR Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

Every single time they transition too loud, make them go back and try it again until they do it to your satisfaction. Even if it is just while getting a book out of their desk; make them put it back and try again.

Do you have an attention-getter? At my school we use "Give me 5".

If whole group on the floor isn't working have you tried it at the desks? Some groups of kids are just not great on the carpet.

It also sounds like your group could use motor breaks every once in a while.

In a line, give them something very specific to do with both hands (maybe one hand over their mouth?) :) Have a poem or procedure to recite so they say the expectations every time they line up.

I hope it gets better quickly!

7. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I haven't started school yet either but can definitely relate. I had a challenging class year! I went to this workshop and one of the ideas I used in my classroom is called The Good Behavior Game

Basically you pick a time frame during the day that you expect the class to follow the rules. I broke my class into teams boys vs. girls. Every team has a chance to win. In this game nobody wants to get points. You pick a number of points they must stay below. If they do not follow the rules they get points. If both teams to not get to the number you picked, they both get a reward. If one team goes past and one stays below then the team below gets a reward.
    If they both are above the number of points, neither team gets a point.

My class really loved playing it. I used it when I was doing whole group instruction and I really wanted them to pay attention.

Good luck...

There are alot of other GREAT resources on the main website of the link above. The home page is www.interventioncentral.com. The creator of the website was Jim Wright.

8. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 2, 2008

great tips, thank you!!!! :D

9. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

In my class, I say "cha, cha, cha" to which they reply "ole" and listen.

I also learned a trick for lines at a workshop this summer. Teach them that they have "3 choices for their hands and 1 choice for their mouth." For hands your choices could be behind the back, on the hips, or by their side. Our Kindergarten teaches "Hips and Lips", kids put one hand on their hip and the other on their lip in the "shhh" sign.

10. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 3, 2008

hehe the cha cha cha is so cute!

11. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

I might have to start using some of these ideas myself. We've only been in school for 2 days and I'm ready to duct tape some of their mouths already. I'm trying to be understanding and realize that they're transitioning from kindergarten to 1st grade, but shew! They were actually very quiet today for their journal writing and I almost fainted, but then when I rewarded them with marbles they started to talk, so now I know to wait until they're finished to do that..haha.

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

oh my gosh I am in the same boat!! My kids are driving me nuts. I have 18 boys and 11 girls with no help. The kids had little classroom management last year. They touch each other and talk constantly. I'm trying every trick in the book to get them ready to learn. It's been 4 days and it's slowly getting better but I want to cry thinking about going back tomorrow!!!!

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

My class is also very chatty. they are more or less ok during group meetings and things like that, and are remembering to raise their hands, but the transitions are terrible and writer's workshop is way too noisy.

Sheesh! this is a new level for me and I'm not quite used to the noise!

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

snicky 29???????? that's why your class is so chatty, you have so many. 23 is driving me crazy

15. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

yes 29 6 year olds!!! Last year I had 20 and that was much better.

I'm going to have gray hair so much faster thanks to these kiddos!!

16. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Sep 8, 2008

For walking down the hallway...I have a compliment chain going on. The kids vote on what they would like to have when they have 50 compliments (usually popsicles or something to that sort). The only way to get a compliment is for having a straight quiet line. Teahcers can give them compliments for it as well. Before we go out into the hallway we say "pizza" and the kids slap their hands to theri sides and say "hut" and they are left standing nice and straight! They also have options for the hallways . hands at their sides, behind their back, in front of them, or in their pockets!

I also give out tickets for them to be able to cash them in for something on fridays. Although Im thinking of cashing them in once a month!

17. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

We have one rule. If they talk, get up, blurt out, etc. their name goes on the board. If they do this again they are written up and sent to the office. After three writeups from any teacher then they are assigned ISS. It works. Every now and then we have one blurt out but they are very good. This is 5th through 8th grade and we have over 1,000 students.

18. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I was having this same problem and guess what worked? A timer!!!! I got a timer. When we start working we always have 10 minutes of silent work time. I tell them If you promise to be Absolutley silent and so your work for ten minutes, the rest of the time you can talk,. They agree to it. I set the timer. Absolute silence. and by the time the timer goes off, they are engaged in their work and only have five minutes left anyway, and most of them are already done.

Thats the beauty of first grade. They really don't have a concept of time. I do a 10 minute minilesson. Work for 10 silent minutes. 5- minutes quite- then we share or close or whatever. Then on to the next lesson. Where they have to give me ten minutes again!! They really think it's a great deal. And the timer gives them a visual as well.

19. MissR

MissR Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Jaszmyn! You are so sneaky! That's awesome. My kids work pretty quietly, but I might pass this tip on to some colleagues!

20. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 10, 2008