Chatty Class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bluebutterfly, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Any suggestions on how to keep the students from talking??? I have been putting their names on the board and making them lose recess. I am having a hard time catching the people who are talking. The whole class has lost 5 minutes of morning and afternoon recess. AND they are still chatting away!

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

We have a one warning rule all teachers have to follow it. It is working. We do not say anything to the kids we see them talking we put their name on the board. If they continue talking, get up from seat, not working etc. we write them up after the first warning. We do not tell them we are writing them up so no arguments come up. Then as we are teaching and filling the form out we then go to the door call that child tell them to go to the office and shut the door then call the office to let them know that child is coming to the office. It works like a charm. I have 8th grade but our school is 5th-8th and it works.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

Oh after 3 write ups with any teacher its ISS

5. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

what about the younger ones? I teach first and I hate being mean, but I have to scare them and sometimes delay my lesson just to keep them on task.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2008

Best quiet signal on earth: Say "If the kid next to you is talking, raise your hand. Put your hand down when they stop talking."

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 15, 2008

If they are this chatty, I'd look for a couple of things:
    1. Are your transitions taking too long? (This gives them time to start chatting.)
    2. Are you modeling and explaining the appropriate voice levels (soft talking, room talking, whispers, no talking) on a frequent basis?
    3. Are you watching them for the first sign of talking, and then "bam!" catch them right then and there, and correct the behavior? You have to do this constantly and consistently at first.
    4. Are your lessons (at this point -- so early in the year) extremely short, intense, and then allow for movement and activity?

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

I usually just lavish the quiet ones with praise, commenting on how I feel special because they are so quiet and attentive. I also use things like "If you can hear me, clap your hands once, etc." Within 30 seconds, I have the attention of the entire class. Remember to that first graders typically have an attention span equal to their age. This means that every 6 minutes or so, you need to change up the activity or give them a chance to stretch. Are they talking because they lost attention and interest? I use a lot of dances, singing, and other movements to give them a break. Their favorite so far is "Tooty Ta" by Dr. Jean. I'll admit when I first performed that dance, I felt ridiculous. ROFL! I must look ridiculous too because the kids get a kick out of seeing me dance with them.

What about implementing group points? At the end of the day or week, the table with the most points can do something special like play a game together before dismissal, line up first, do their work on the carpet, etc? They will really work on keeping each other quiet to attain their point. This often catches the little stuff for me.

Perhaps a marble jar for the entire class?

9. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

OMG i rememebr the TOOTY TA imagine 51 adults dancing to this song during student teaching ROFL i wont say how bad it looked. I forgot about this until now thanks for reminding me brings back a good laugh. So glad I have 8th grade now :whistle:

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

I love this and I am definitely stealing this.

11. ograwk

ograwk Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

On Monday, I give my class 20 minutes of free time to be used on Friday. It is their responsibility to keep it. When there is talking I start my timer. However long it takes for the entire class to quiet down is taken off the 20 minutes. I don't have to say a word, the timer makes a beep and everyone knows what it means. This seems to work well for me, and most weeks the class keeps the majority of their free time. btw, I do not give them any time back. It is up to them to not lose it, it was a gift from me in the first place and I won't give it back. It may sound harsh, but otherwise there is no "teeth" to the agreement.

12. mdee

mdee Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

Very neat idea!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2008

My students loooooooved the Tooty Ta! I first heard it when I was doing a LTS assignment during their field day.

14. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I have shapes over all my tables with a paperclip at the bottom of the shape. When the whole table is on task, I give them a link. The table with the most links on Friday gets a special treat...cookies, popcorn, up from nap early to play a game, etc.

15. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I love this!!!

16. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

We cannot send students to the office like that. Our principal expects us to handle discipline problems. We only send them to her if we have done all we can to correct the problem. I think it would be wonderful to be able to "send" students somewhere else. I have a room full of talkers too. I am so tired by the end of the day. Nothing phases them.

I love the idea of giving them 20 minutes for Friday and taking time off that if they can't be quiet. I may try that this week.

17. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

Some of the other teachers think that my desk arrangement has something to do with it. They are in groups of four. I am debating on moving them into rows for Monday.

I don't feel like I can spare 20 minutes on Friday and I can't send them to the office for talking. The second grade teachers warned us that they were a talkative class.

I really want to get it under control before it becomes the norm.