Chatty Class!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by princessbloom, Sep 26, 2010.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

:help:
    I teach 3rd grade and have an EXCELLENT class. I have no behavior problems and generally they are all around wonderful kids. However, they are much too chatty! If I pause for 2 seconds to write something on the board they use that opportunity to start talking. I've tried to talk with them about this and it works for the day then they start up again.
    From the beginning of school I've used 2 pockets on the board-one for EXTRACREDIT and one for DEXTRACREDIT. Any time the class is quiet and doing things they should be doing (as a class) I place a stick in the EXTRACREDIT. If at any time they are too chatty (as a class) they get a stick in the DEXTRACREDIT. By the end of the week if the EXTRACREDIT has more in the pocket then they choose an activity (eating outside, class kickball game etc.) They understand what I'm doing but they are still very chatty! We're going on the 6th week of school and they've only had EXTRACREDIT once!

Surpriisingly we don't really have trouble with transitioning between activities. They do pretty well with that. It's just talking in between everything else!
    This week I tried separating two of my most chatty students. I had to create 2 islands (you know, stand alone desks where they are no longer part of the group) and it helped slightly but not all that much. Though those 2 will still remain separated as they are instigators.

Do you think I should start using individual behavior? That would seem difficulty because it really is the whole class who speaks so I'm not sure how I would handle that. Have the whole class move their color?

I had a sub on Tuesday and she said they were very good but she also commented on their talking at every turn.

I don't know what to do anymore! Advice please!

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 26, 2010

I usually have found that my brighter more verbal classes are sometimes my most talkative.
    However, I am confused by your comments. If the class makes transitions between subjects well and has no real behavior problems,when does all this chatting take place. Is it while they are working,lining up,in the hallway?Can you give them a break between subjects for a minute when talking is allowed and a prearranged signal indicates that silence is now mandated.
    In today's world many teachers would be happy if this was their major problem,but I know how annoying this can be.PS Check and see who the biggest offenders are and try to deal with them. I don't think it could be the whole class after you explained the situation to them.
    Good Luck in solving this problem,let me know if any of my suggestions worked.
    Have you provide them with cooperative learning,partner share,turn and talk,group sharing,center time that allows them to express their opinions.
    Perhaps you can make a sign which states when quite time is a must and post it when necessary.Can you have a clapping signal which they must repeat and silence must follow?

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

I appreciate your comments!
    Yes, the talking takes place during individual work, lining up and certain activities.
    I shouldn't have really said the chatter doesn't take place during transitional activities, because it does. They transition well from being out of the classroom and coming back in because I have them sit with their heads down to wait for further instructions. Such as, when we return from Specials or lunch they must come in quietly and put their heads down while I get the next materials ready.

I don't know how doing this in between subjects in class would work. It seems like it would waste loads of time. However, as it stands now, there is a lot of time wasted with the chatting!

For instance, the other day we were doing math work as a whole group. I told the students that instead of writing on a piece of paper or the white boards I would allow them to write with the dry erase markers on their desks (I explained this activity like it was going to be our little secret) and they LOVED IT. Problem was, they were much too loud with it. I warned them so then we had to go back to the "old fashioned" way of doing it on paper.
    I do have a clipping signal. My signal for them is "Class Class Class," to which they reply "Yes Yes Yes"--and all are silent.

Perhaps I am just too strict because I really can't stand all the chatter. It drives me nuts!

I think I will try your idea of giving them 1 minute to "get it all out." Can't hurt to try!

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 26, 2010

Talking chips! They really work. I give my kids 5 chips a day. They can raise their hands at any time and use their chips to share. If they are talking during my instruction or during a time when they are supposed to be doing independent work, I take their chips. Now, I DO NOT use the chips when we are having a classroom discussion or classroom cooperative learning activity. I say, "the CHIPS are off right now. I need a free session of talk where we are working together, sharing, and collaborating". Kids GET IT and they start to be more constructive with their "chat".

6. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

One teacher whose classroom management I admire makes her students line up again if they talk the first time, or even the second time. Her classes are very well-behaved and she never raises her voice.

For independent work chatter, try a chart with a green Inside Voice, a yellow Whisper Voice, and a red Silent Work, or however you want to word it. Model to the kids how you want each to sound. Have a clothespin that you move to the desired spot, and move it to red for independent work.

And yes, if they chatter, definitely have an individual consequence. Punishing the whole class is unfair, as you may have several students in there who have earned the reward you listed but could not get it because of their peers' behavior.

7. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Oooh, I kinda like this idea! What happens with the chips at the end of the week? Can they cash them in for something if they have X chips left? Also, where are the chips kept? Inside their desks? I would assume if it's on top of their desks at all times then it could be a distraction and/or they would fall on the floor a lot.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 26, 2010

I have never had to use this strategy until this school year! In my five years of teaching 2nd grade, this is THE MOST chatty class I've ever had!!! They LOVE to talk. Don't get me wrong--I'm happy that they're using the English language (90% of my students speak Spanish as a primary language), but it's the constant interruptions that drive me crazy. Anyway, the past few weeks have gotten much better, mainly because they know that I am holding them accountable for their behavior (i.e., making them line up over and over again until they're standing with their hands behind their backs and have their "lips zipped."

Depite having a challenging class this year, I am enjoying my students very much. They keep me on my toes and are soaking up every morsel of information I give them. They love to learn for the sake of learning!

I'm definitely earning my paychecks this year. By Friday afternoon, I'm completely wiped out!!!

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

I do this when I sub. Once, it took returning to their seats four times before they finally kept quiet at the door. The kids were very late to lunch that day.

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Yes we were late to lunch and Specials this week because I made them sit back down. There's no way I'm leaving my classroom with that kind of chatty behavior going on in the hall way.
    Hmm, I think I like the idea of the chips too!

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

I had the same problem with my 7th grade class. They're the brightest class I have but oh gosh!! they can surely talk non-stop. I used one of the Whole Braing Teaching strategies and it is working wonderfully. Students' get a tally for each time they follow rules and I get one for each time they don't. Then at the end, we see who wins. They really love this.

12. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 28, 2010

Marci, I got my ideas for the Extracredit and Dextracredit from the whole brain teaching as well! :) I love it!

This week I used what you all said here and added individualized behavior to the mix. It's working well! (So far!)

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 29, 2010

I guess a question that would be important for me to ask is, what are they talking about?

While my students are working, I don't mind some chatter because I think it's healthy for them to be discussing ideas. I had a sub for my aide last week yelling at my kids for talking (which I never do during writing), but the kids were talking about their writing! They were excited to be writing, and telling their stories. I appreciate this kind of chatter for the learning process. However, when it is just the other kind of chatter, it drives me nuts!