Chatting w/ principal?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by annafish, Aug 7, 2007.

1. annafish

annafish Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Ok, I am going to try not to make this too long. Here is a little background info. I had two interviews at an elementary school, the first one was about two years ago, it was for a long term sub position. It was my first ever interview and I did horrible! I didn't get the job. I had an interview at the same school this year (with more experience under my belt, I had a long term all year). I was told that I tied with someone else, but they go the job because they had two years of experience in the grade level (this was in the beginning of June). I got a phone call today from the principal of that school saying she wants me to come in and chat with her about what the school is like. At first I am very excited thinking she will offer me the job, but then she said a formal interview will follow. I am not sure what to think. I know that this is promising, but it is very stressful. I am not the best interviewer and I feel like if I have a 3rd interview at this school and fail then I should give up! Has anyone ever been in a situation like this?

3. obro

obro Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I havent been in this situation but the principal wouldnt have called you if she didnt like you or need you or see your potential. good luck

4. Miss L

Miss L Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I agree with Obro. It's weird how she wants to chat about the school...I mean, what does that even mean? haha

I think you will do fine in an interview (especially if you read the forums from this community, they're SO helpful). I know I'm terrible at it myself, but you just gotta remember to take deep breaths and have confidence in yourself. Have faith! :hugs: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I'm in the same boat.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

I absolutely agree with the above posters. Why keep bringing you back if the principal doesn't like you? I think it's good news! Go in, be confident! I'm not the world's best interviewer either, but the best you can be is YOURSELF! You want to be at a school who wants the real you to work there, too. :) Good luck!

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

It sounds like an informal pre-screening(which is nice) and then maybe she'll send you onto a formal interview with the super or something!!??? Sounds like she already likes you! GOOD LUCKand keep us posted!!

7. annafish

annafish Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks everyone. I know it will not lead to an interview with the super, this district is large and doesn't do that. The principal has the final say. I am assuming they technically do have to interview for this position. I am trying not to get my hopes up. I want this so bad. I have been through a horrible time this year and just want to teach next year!

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

i feel your pain, i used to be HORRIBLE at interviewing!! :( when you go in, just be confident and take your time answering the questions. if something is unclear or doesn't make sense, ask them to restate it. hopefully once you see their smiling faces and nodding heads, you will know you're doing great! i honestly believe that half of getting a teaching job is just believing that you're the right person. good luck-i know you'll do great!!!

-meri

9. Texas_06

Texas_06 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Good luck Annafish. I feel like I always mess up my interviews. All of the interviews I have gone to are very short about 15 minutes. Is that common? Its not just me. As I wait for my turn people go in and out rather quickly. Merigold78, how did you get better at interviewing?

10. annafish

annafish Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Texas 06: I have heard that most interviews are supposed to be a half hour. This is where I always struggle, I tend to talk fast and they are looking for examples. I know this, but for some reason, I get so nervous and rush.

I had my "chat" today. She wanted to make sure I was still interested since I had two previous interviews that did not work out. It seems like she does want to hire me, she is tired of having me in 2nd place! I just have to really pull myself together for the interview. Unfortunately it may not be till end of next week or the week after that because they have to post it.