Chatterboxes

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by KinderMissN, Sep 22, 2009.

1. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Sep 22, 2009

I have a talking problem with my classes this year. The chatter is constant! I am enforcing the discipline plan my partner teacher and I have. It does nothing. Any other suggestions?

3. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Sep 22, 2009

I went to a classroom management seminar today and they were talking about what is normal for students in Preadolescent range. Being social is one of those things. I have found that it is better to work with the talking and not against it. Have you heard of wholebrainteaching? I have been implementing it for a year and half and I swear it works.

4. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 22, 2009

In both 4th and 5th grade I allowed the kids to talk quietly during certain times as long as they weren't disruptive. We talked about how some kids couldn't concentrate with a lot of commotion in the room and that would slow down progress. The kids seemed to be respectful of this.(I've seen a lot of classes that expect the kids to be quiet ALL day long but most of us can't even do that!) This made it easier to enforce quiet times. I swore that I wasn't going to be the kind of teacher that harps on kids all day long. This seemed to work, somehow. Now if I could just work the magic with the little ones I have this year....

5. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Sep 22, 2009

I do allow them to speak at certain times during the class. I cannot even get through directions for an activity without being interrupted or stopping because I will not yell over them. I don't want to be the teacher that makes them remain quiet... I just want to finish directions, or listen to another student's thoughts without being interrupted!

6. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Sep 23, 2009

I too am having this problem. I get that these kids want to talk, NEED to talk. I encourage talking for several activities they do during the day, because I know it helps them understand what we are doing better, and because they are going to do it anyway, so I try to channel it into a positive thing. However, they can't get it back under control, and realize that there are times when I need them to be quiet. I've tried the color thing, writing notes in their planner, even making them write down every unnecessary word that comes out of their mouth. I just want them to be able to know that when I say our talking time is over, I mean it is OVER!! Suggestions?!?!?!

7. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Sep 24, 2009

I give the students 10 minutes of "game time" on Fridays (we play spelling or multiplication games). I write the 15 minutes on the board on Monday, and every time they waste time talking during my instructions, I take that time out of their Game Time. If they are quiet during my lesson they get another minute of game time. They love game time, and so they are always hushing each other so that they get more time to play Sparkle or Around the World on Friday. They are only asked to be silent during DEAR time or during direct instruction, otherwise I let them talk and work together quietly. It has worked very well so far.

8. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

I like the Quiet Time idea. Then they know it's a set time to be quite. You can even post a list of times that they must be quit (reading time, test time, teacher is talking time). Other times, some chatter may be acceptable.

If it gets really loud then maybe have some kind of signal, like in cub scouts they have a hand signal where two fingers are raised in the air for quiet! or better yet, a bell or computer sound to grab their attention.

9. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Oct 17, 2009

I have had the same troubles this year. It has been improving as of late although. My students tend to call out during directions or my lessons and it drives me bananas. I don't mind quiet talking during classwork, although quiet talk only lasts several minutes and then the room is very noisy! They don't just talk to their seat partner, but are turning around and talking and not working, which is also a problem. I have noticed that when it comes to my students calling out during lessons, or during my directions, I do/say such things as "OHHHHH there are those voices again! Where are they coming from?? I don't see any hands" and of course positive reinforcement does the trick.

Any suggestions on how to keep quiet talk, quiet talk?!