Chasing A Dream: A Blog About My Visions for My Own School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 16, 2012

I never knew I would start such a blog, but a few of my close friends wanted to learn more about my philosophy for starting a K-8 private school. I want to have a different kind of blog... one that encourages other teachers to follow their dreams as well.

Here is the link: ENVISIONING EDUCATION: http://envisioningeducation.blogspot.com/

I also have a class blog and have blogged elsewhere before, so it is something I am very much used to doing! :cool:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2012

I look forward to reading!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 16, 2012

Just finished my fourth post about organic school gardens and teaching students how to cook. :)

5. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

That sound's really interesting, it would be great if people could read it and watch your school idea maybe even develop into a reality. :)

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 16, 2012

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jan 16, 2012

This is such a great idea!!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 21, 2012

I just posted in another thread, where I stated: I know it is odd that I am bringing this post back to life. I conducted a search trying to see what this forum had to say about teachers opening their own schools.

I have been contemplating a lot about this lately and do not want to become disillusioned by any means. Probably over the course of the past few years, I have had this dream and am in the works of thinking about some wonderful ideas.

It may take me five or more years to officially research every aspect, but I am a very methodical person and will research over fifty successful schools (visiting at least ten within the state). I will pick their brains and remember all that was mentioned at this forum. If it takes longer (or shorter), then that is its will. Of course I have been envisioning what the curriculum would be like (most likely private, with a strong correlation to state standards and Common Core standards), but I am also thinking about stakeholders, committees, as well as salary. I know I would need a nurse and a highly experienced, fantastic and dedicated staff who would be committed to providing a world-class K-8 education.

In that sense, five years may be realistic. Key word: May. Additionally, I know I can receive my Masters degree by then. Eventually, I would follow through with my lifelong dreams of obtaining my Doctorate; it's just money right now, which is an issue for all. Perhaps the economy will improve a tad in the next five years as well. I can use this time to potentially garner support from outside sources, people who share my vision.

From what I have figured out so far, I desire:
    - A focus on media production and communication.
    - A school that can start with a strong inquiry-based education and eventually (after at least five years of being open) IB status for the 6-8 program.
    - Math Exemplars program for K-8.
    - A strong correlation between K-2, 3-5, and 6-8 programs.
    - Obviously, before and after school care as well as organizations.
    - A "green" environment with an organic greenhouse.

Luckily, I have a cousin who opened a Montessori school in New Hampshire around the time I started teaching (eight years ago). I also know numerous people in education and tremendous educators/people vested in education from around the nation. I know there are numerous people who can offer great support (and encourage me greatly as I pursue my Master's, which needs to start sooner or later).

The biggest things are: being realistic and sensible, getting a lot of input from people from all walks of life.

I also liked seeing my response from almost 3 1/2 years ago. I asked some thoughtful questions. Now I need to find the post where I brought up starting my own school a few years back. I am curious.

Now extending this: If you had a vision like this one and a 5+ year timeline, how would you use it to your advantage?

This is besides getting a higher degree and researching/communicating with superior school/business models. Obviously I will not open my own business, but I will learn a great deal about conducting one and really pick the brains of those close to me who have done so.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2012

I'm glad to hear that you're still thinking about starting up your own school! :)

I know I would use the time for, like you said, to do tons of research and make connections with the community.

I think starting up your own school is such an awesome idea! I know I always think about how I would run a school if I started one up. I saw a puppet musical today (Avenue Q) and one of the characters, a monster puppet, dream was to start her own school for monster kids. The school was called Monstersori. :p

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 21, 2012

I've never seen Avenue Q (definitely know of it), but that's hilarious! :)

I know that if it NOT meant to be, it won't be, but I feel like anything can become a reality if I just take my time, pursue what I need to pursue, and establish further connections. A few of my friends have told me that if anyone goes for it, I should. However, it's intimidating, of course, and I just have to be brave, open-minded, and intelligent in this pursuit.

Ahh... :)

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 21, 2012

LOL... I should start THIS school... remember this?
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=39866

Hahahaha, that was such a joke. Looking back, that is one of the most hilarious posts I have ever seen here. Especially after Irishdave came in. Then for some reason, I lost it farther when TeacherGroupie noticed she had been appointed "principal" and said "Ixnay". :lol::lol::lol::cool:

All right, back to reality (really, reality, what's that?)...

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2012

Hahaha, I remember that post.

Starting up your own business is so hard. My friend and I tried to start up a nonprofit organization where we would provide writing instruction to students in our county (with the focus on disadvantage kids, or kids who would normally not have a chance to do this sort of thing). We spent months writing up or mission statement, plans, what materials we would need, exactly who would we be serving, etc etc etc. We had a consultant from the county work with us (for free as she was my friends friend from church). It was all going well until we got to the part where we had to send in our paperwork and business info (can't remember the exact terminology). It took forever just to hear back from them. By then, we were busy with our own work and decided to not pursue it anymore. I'm kind of sad though... but at least we tried. I think it was, more or less, a bad time anyways to start up as I just moved to the area and was trying to get situated in my own job so I could support myself.

But, if you keep at it, do all of the research, and know that it won't happen overnight, then it can happen.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 21, 2012

Thanks. :) It takes support on many levels. As I have been told by more than one person, starting a business is not for the faint-hearted, but I think many people know how non-faint-hearted I am.

-Accountability is major.
    -Developing a workable vision is major.
    -The business aspect is the most challenging part, but also the most important.
    -Being realistic (do I even know what "realistic" is sometimes) is hardest because minds love to dream about particulars that may never happen.

But in all obviously, it depends, and I am glad people realize it's just a dream- and that I have set forth hopefully a workable timeline, even if it takes longer than five years.