charter vs long term sub position

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by daisycay, Oct 7, 2011.

1. daisycay

daisycay Rookie

Oct 7, 2011

I was offered a job at a charter school, which I know is not going to be ideal. The classrooms are tiny, they have nothing as far as resources. I applied for an ELA job which I am certified to teach, but I did my student teaching in Science. So I have no ELA experience and will be teaching 90 minute blocks. Plus this is mid-October so I will have no time to plan, they will just be throwing me in there. The charter doesn't even have a library. There are only 3 middle school teachers so there is not much support. I have not accepted the job because I have a long term sub job lined up with a teacher I know in a public school, which is nice and has resources. It's in Science and I already know all the science teachers I'm working with because I long term subbed with them last year.

So here is the problem, the charter is a full time job and will get my first year of teaching under my belt, but I have a relationship with the Science department at the public school and hope that it will lead to a job. This is my second year subbing. The first year of teaching is hard enough so I'm really hesitate to take the charter job. I don't know though, any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Oct 7, 2011

Tough decision. Go with your instinct on this one. I personally would prefer to have my own classroom and get my first year of teacher under my belt.

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Oct 8, 2011

I'm in the same position as you. I taught ELA last year, but accepted a science position. (It's at a high poverty public school, so there are resources but I'm probably going to have to provide tons of stuff anyway).

Don't be afraid of 90 minute blocks for ELA. First off, the kids should be doing SSR for some of that time. Where I student taught, kids did SSR for 30 minutes. Then it was 30 minute lesson over the novel/reading things (ie. main idea, characterization, genre, reading strategies), then the other 30 minutes where spent over a writing/grammar/proofreading activity.

I would take the charter school option. On this board, it seems people get stuck in the "LTS/substitute" role and it's difficult for them to break out and get offered a full time position. Just my two cents. Do what is best for you! :)

5. HS Sci

HS Sci New Member

Oct 8, 2011

I did my student teaching in public schools, but never had my own classroom. Since graduating I have only worked in charter schools (this will be my third year). If you get to work in a reputable charter school it will be the best learning experience you will ever receive. At the charter that I am with, I have learned more skills and techniques than I ever learned in any of my student teaching classes. Yes, the work is challenging and you usually have limited resources. But, you learn to be creative and innovative with what resources you have.

What you really need to do is do what is right for you. If you don't you will be miserable. I have seen that happen as well.

P.S. Just for some perspective. I have had my classroom for 3 years now and my friend who went to permanent sub route is still a sub and still hoping they will have a position next year.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2011

If you want to teach science, I'd stay on that track. Your LTS experience will be good on your resume and science tends to have more job openings in the long run.

7. daisycay

daisycay Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Thank so much for your imput, it's a difficult decision to make.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2011

If I were you, I'd stay w/ the LTS position. Just because the other job is permanent w/ steady pay & benefits, that, as you know, isn't everything. I'd want to be comfortable teaching what I'm teaching & mainly knowing I'll get as much of the proper support/mentoring as I can to do my job to the beset of my ability.

Good luck!